closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: US Trip

US Trip

All,

Off to the US for the first time and can’t wait.

A random question, i’d like to get some new boots. Oakley SI’s have always been good to me but apparently the quality has gone downhill.

Are there any other brands to look out for and any you would recommend. It obviously goes without saying that I’d need to try them on. But any advice you could provide would assist.

Numerous conflicting views and opinions o line about Danner, AKU, etc.

Best regards,

Ben

Master
    Very impressed by Alden Indy and Wolverine 1000 mile.

Blog Entries
    AKU is Italian...

Not all parts of the US have stores with the complete collection (e.g. snow boats in Florida or Cali don't sell very well...). The Bass Pro shops have a lot of brands and collections - and for us, Europeans, the amazing experience to walk up to showcases with hundreds of guns on display...

Menno

Going to the US?

These are the boots you need.

Cheers,
    Neil.

Look for the outlet shopping malls where you can pick up out of season, 2nds and reduced items. A lot of stuff that is priced in $ is the equivalent in £ in the UK. Not everything is cheap or cheaper

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve748 View Post
    Look for the outlet shopping malls where you can pick up out of season, 2nds and reduced items. A lot of stuff that is priced in $ is the equivalent in £ in the UK. Not everything is cheap or cheaper
    Outlets often have little stands where you can buy tickets for amusement parks etc - sometimes with serious discounts.

First time US. If you're planning a road trip-ish holiday, make sure you hire the largest car you can affort: space = comfort. Distances are mind-boggling sometimes. Parking a behemoth isn't a problem. Normal parking spots have the size of Wembley's Centre Court.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Steve748 View Post
    Yep, outlets are the way to go.

Don't know where you are going but in Fla I recommend the one at Ellenton near Sarasota as particularly good also Vero Beach outlets have some good prices.

Stay away from the Orlando outlets as they are tourist traps.

Some serious bargains if it is what you want.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Master
    Just wear what you want.

I was once told by an American fellow cruiser that the reason he loved us Brits was that in his opinion we wore whatever we wanted and didn't give a damn what others thought of us.

He was wearing a floral shirt, polka dot shorts, a baseball cap turned backwards and black Crocs with beige ankle socks.

You can usually turn right at a red light but you must stop first. Flashing red lights treat as a four way stop which means the car that stops first goes first and you give way to the car that's on your right if you both stop at the same time. You can overtake both sides, don't speed over 5mph. Bigger is better but mpg is crap around 12mpg or less. Make sure your phones will work and consult them about a data plan before you go. If you do Disney buy 'The unofficial guide to Disney' before you go as it will save you lots of time and money if you use their plans.

Blog Entries
    When you need a satnav (and you'll need it in the US!), don't rent one from the car rental company. Far too expensive per day. Over here in Holland, there's a vivid market when it comes to buying and selling pre-used TomToms with USA maps. I bought mine in November for 65 euros. Used it during the Christmas holidays and sold it on in January for 65 euros to people going to the US in April.

I would suggest: put a WTB here on the forum!

And... I would really would like to read about your planned trips

Menno

Hello

All,

Thanks for the info.

Neil C, ye hah ride em cowboy!

Definitely planning on some MLB action. Will list my adventures such as they are on here.

Quote Originally Posted by burnside View Post
    All,

Thanks for the info.

Neil C, ye hah ride em cowboy!

Definitely planning on some MLB action. Will list my adventures such as they are on here.
    Look forward to your posts.

You will love it!
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Hello

Because I like to ask random questions.

As you are aware I’m off to the US. I have some Amazon E Vouchers. Presumably I can use these on Amazon US and get purchases delivered over there?

Ben

Depending on which pf the states you're going to have a look at the Cabela's/Bass Pro website to find the nearest stores. They are always worth a visit.

As to Danners, I wore a pair for years and they were a cracking pair of boots. I know people who have had both Wolverines and Rocky boots and were less than impressed, particularly with the newer models.

I have a Garmin with US road maps that you're welcome to borrow if you like, but to be honest for the last two or three years I've left it at home and just used the Waze app when in the US (I am normally there two or three times each year).

For "right on red" just make sure to take notice of the road signs, as on some junctions it is prohibited. The other thing to look out for are four-way Stop junctions, where there are no traffic lights but Stop signs at every entry point. By and large people are good at taking turns, but inevitably you may find someone who doesn't want to wait!

Hello

Thanks for the info so far all it’s greatly appreciated.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by thieuster View Post
    When you need a satnav (and you'll need it in the US!), don't rent one from the car rental company. Far too expensive per day. Over here in Holland, there's a vivid market when it comes to buying and selling pre-used TomToms with USA maps. I bought mine in November for 65 euros. Used it during the Christmas holidays and sold it on in January for 65 euros to people going to the US in April.

I would suggest: put a WTB here on the forum!

And... I would really would like to read about your planned trips

Menno
    If not, Waze should work in the US - also assuming of course that you have a suitable data plan?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by vagabond View Post
    If not, Waze should work in the US - also assuming of course that you have a suitable data plan?
    We did San Francisco to LA (with a few stops on the way) last year and just used apple maps on the iPhone. EE had a roaming deal which I think cost me $5 per day.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.f View Post
    Very impressed by Alden Indy and Wolverine 1000 mile.
    Agreed, the Alden Indy 405 are about as good as it gets

Hello

Will check that out, thanks!