closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Boodles Discount

Boodles Discount

I want to buy a ring for SWMBOs birthday. Does anyone have any experience of discount at Boodles? Looking at circa £7k ring. Cheers.
    Last edited by dougair; 18th May 2018 at 15:56.

Craftsman
    We got discount in Chester but they were distinctly averse to having the conversation. It appeared to me that there was a presumption that if you had the money to shop in there that asking for a discount was rather "grubby" but I turned the discussion to paying and price and the sales assistant introduced a manager who was more open to discussion. it wasn't a big percentage but then it was a small percentage of a large price so still worth having.

Quote Originally Posted by astonandy View Post
    We got discount in Chester but they were distinctly averse to having the conversation. It appeared to me that there was a presumption that if you had the money to shop in there that asking for a discount was rather "grubby" but I turned the discussion to paying and price and the sales assistant introduced a manager who was more open to discussion. it wasn't a big percentage but then it was a small percentage of a large price so still worth having.
    Thanks, as you say even 5% makes a difference. At the end of the day it’s got nothing to do with affordability, it’s about value. I’d rather get her one made to be honest as you get more for your money but she wants this particular design which is their trademark and likens buying a copy as buying a fake rolex...I couldn’t really argue with her there 😂

Blog Entries
    Well, 350 pounds is worth the discussion with the shop manager. If you pay debit or BACS instead of credit card could facilitate the deal.

Master
    I’ve bought my wife a couple of Boodjes pieces over the years and each time I’ve been given a small reduction as a “gesture”. The vulgar word “discount” was never mentioned.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by alanm_3 View Post
    I’ve bought my wife a couple of Boodjes pieces over the years and each time I’ve been given a small reduction as a “gesture”. The vulgar word “discount” was never mentioned.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app
    😂 I don’t care what they call it as long as I get a good deal 👍🏻

Master
    I have bought a few pieces from them over the years and vulgar or not I have always asked for a reduction in price and got it ! Apart from the bespoke pieces obviously but even then I ummed and arred a bit on price.

I do the same wherever I shop - even Antwerp diamond dealers, it's part of the fun.

Never go in "wanting " something.

B
    Last edited by Brian; 18th May 2018 at 21:57.

Craftsman
    Regardless of who or where I make a larger purchase I always ask for a “best price”. Sometimes there is no change, others you can get significant savings. I think if you ask politely any salesperson should be able to respond properly - if an establishment though that me asking was “vulgar” then I just wouldn’t spend my money there

No discount received on a gift I bought for my wife from Boodles

Nice letter received from the MD afterwards though with some personal details. NicE touch

Master
    Blog Entries
    Bought my wifes wedding ring from Boodles. Gave me an excuse to check up on my 5711 - kind of worked as I collected both same day :)

Thanks for the comments so far. I’ll certainly try a bit of subtle negotiation, after all the ticket price is just the starting point to a negotiation 😊

Source the stones yourself and have someone make it for you and avoid the 300%+ mark-up.

That way your wife will actually get a £7k ring, rather that a £2.5k ring and a nice box.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Andyg View Post
    Source the stones yourself and have someone make it for you and avoid the 300%+ mark-up.

That way your wife will actually get a £7k ring, rather that a £2.5k ring and a nice box.
    I agree - That's why I went to Antwerp - chose the stone and then got it mounted in 18ct for a fixed fee. I smiled at your post because we didn't get a box, she keeps it in a Boodles box.

The better diamonds are horrendous prices in the UK.

B

Quote Originally Posted by Brian View Post
    I agree - That's why I went to Antwerp - chose the stone and then got it mounted in 18ct for a fixed fee. I smiled at your post because we didn't get a box, she keeps it in a Boodles box.

The better diamonds are horrendous prices in the UK.

B
    I totally agree, but a Boodles copy design isn’t a Boodles ring.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by dougair View Post
    I totally agree, but a Boodles copy design isn’t a Boodles ring.
    And that's the key thing. With all due respect, the brand experience and the pleasure of owning a Boodles piece is, for my wife, similar to buying a Rolex at an AD and then regularly wearing and enjoying it. Being asked "oh which Boodles branch do you use, was it Chester?" and saying "oh no, we had a less expensive fake made - but the stones and gold are real" isn't something anyone wants to do! And yes, other people do know it's from Boodles and yes, people do ask.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by astonandy View Post
    And that's the key thing. With all due respect, the brand experience and the pleasure of owning a Boodles piece is, for my wife, similar to buying a Rolex at an AD and then regularly wearing and enjoying it. Being asked "oh which Boodles branch do you use, was it Chester?" and saying "oh no, we had a less expensive fake made - but the stones and gold are real" isn't something anyone wants to do! And yes, other people do know it's from Boodles and yes, people do ask.
    That is a fair comment and it does depend on whether it is a plain design that she wants or a special boodles piece.

For instance my wedding ring which she bought me we designed but they still engraved it with Boodles on the inside.

Her wedding ring we designed but they still engraved it with Boodles on the inside.

Her latter solitaire ring she just wanted a plain brilliant cut diamond in a claw setting - she didn't care.

If she had of cared then obviously I would have done the boodles thing but then for the boodles engraving she would have missed out on three nights in a 4 star hotel in Antwerp, flights, meals and choosing the stone and then seeing it being set (watching the workperson).

And we still came home with about 1k spare after the flights hotel etc

B

Depending on how much time you have. I have a friend who can make the same spec ring for a lot less?

Very experienced Hatton Garden/ Bond Street diamond jewellery maker. You won't get the branding but you might even get better diamonds.

Sent from my [device_name] using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by smokey99 View Post
    Depending on how much time you have. I have a friend who can make the same spec ring for a lot less?

Very experienced Hatton Garden/ Bond Street diamond jewellery maker. You won't get the branding but you might even get better diamonds.

Sent from my [device_name] using TZ-UK mobile app
    I think this really has been covered already.

If it's a Boodles piece the lady wants, then anything else, however close it copies Boodles' design will simply be seen as a copy of a Boodles piece bought by a husband who values saving money over buying her what she wants. Buying it will lack the theatre and experience of a Boodles collection. It's not just what it looks like or is made of.

An handmade leather Hermes replica bag will never be an Hermes bag, however indistinguishable it is. We all value watch authenticity, why should a jewellery buyer value it less? Most people buying a new watch want the full AD experience. Jewellery buying is no different in my experience. My wife's £300 Tiffany earrings could probably have been replicated for £30 but the London Flagship store buying experience and that Blue Box were worth more to her than the £270 potential saving.

Unfortunately it’s a Raindance ring which is kind of their signature. As said, better diamonds and lower price could be had...but it would be a copy and she’d always know it. I can see where she’s coming from.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by dougair View Post
    Unfortunately it’s a Raindance ring which is kind of their signature. As said, better diamonds and lower price could be had...but it would be a copy and she’d always know it. I can see where she’s coming from.
    My wife has the Flowerpress ring and the exact same thing was true. The design has been replicated elsewhere but hers had the whole champagne handover and a lunch at the Chester Grosvenor as the first time wearing it...