closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Watches that wants to rotate on the wrist.. how to stop them?

Watches that wants to rotate on the wrist.. how to stop them?

Hi All,

In my 2 years of collecting watches I’ve never came across this problem, so I never really looked into it.. that is until I purchased my Blancpain Léman.. unlike any other Watch I’ve ever had, it has the tendency to rotate while wearing it on the wrist. I’m sure it is something that won’t bother most people, but it sure does annoy me a lot!

I like to wear my watches past that bone (sorry don’t know the name), so that I can move my hand freely without the watch getting in the way..

And I prefer a tight fit like the above, so that the watch firmly hugs my wrist without choking it.

I know the omega in the pictures isn’t the best example, as it fits my wrist ‘just perfectly’, but I don’t have the Blancpain on me today, so this is the only reference I had.

Has anybody had to fight a dancing watch before? And how did you solve the problem?

Thank you.
    Claudio

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It happens quite a bit to me, I think because of the shape of my skinny wrist. I have that prominent bone as well and I wear my watches like you.

I have found that shifting links around so that the clasp rests in a different place helps, usually the clasp being nearer the 6 if that makes sense.

In extreme on cheaper watches I have sometimes just switched the bracelet round so that the clasp shuts the opposite way.

Both methods seem to work for me, but it is an irritation.

Quote Originally Posted by alfat33 View Post
    It happens quite a bit to me, I think because of the shape of my skinny wrist. I have that prominent bone as well and I wear my watches like you.

I have found that shifting links around so that the clasp rests in a different place helps, usually the clasp being nearer the 6 if that makes sense.

In extreme on cheaper watches I have sometimes just switched the bracelet round so that the clasp shuts the opposite way.

For clarity.. the watch in question (Blancpain), has a leather strap on a deployant clasp. I tried to invert the strap, so that the “tongue” of the deployant is at the 6 o’clock position, hoping that it would correct the twist.. didn’t work :/

I’m finding it hard to explain so I can only imagine how difficult is for anybody to understand what I’m talking about. I’ll try to get pictures of the actual watch and see if doing so gives a better understanding of the problem

Master

Top heavy

Only ever have this issue with top heavy watches such as divers really?
    All my dress or thin fitted watches sit just so and have a tendency to stay where they are?!?!

I kind of have a habit where I flick my wrist to pull it back up, a bit like someone flicking their long hair back by pulling their head up fast! Other people probably find it annoying but when you are talking about a clunky ill fitting old Rolex bracelet they tend to need the little wrist role/flick more than most?!?!

I am a pretty big bloke but have right girly bony wrists so top heavy watches do have a tendency to role😢😢
    The only one that didn’t was the Breitling Emergency and that’s probably because I couldn’t lift my arm up wearing it anyway🤣🤣

Chris

If we are talking about rotating so that the watch is trying to migrate upwards around the far side (when looking down at) the wrist then yes, this is so irritating and most of my watches try to do it - it's just the shape of my wrist, but it sure does bug me.

It could be that the lug to lug dimensions mean the strap is trying to bend back 'straight' and tipping the watch over. I find that bending the strap, rolling each end up into a ball and letting it settle will help it keep the 'round' shape.

Swap a link to the other side of the clasp - sometimes the clasp position being off centre can cause rotation - moving a link from one side of it to the other can help

I find that straps are worst for this for some reason at least until they are worn in and mould a little to the shape of my wrist.

Bracelets, which I wear loose enough to fit a finger in the gap are OK. Well the limited range Ive tried are. They have to be firm enough to hold there shape though. The worst ones have been vintage Seiko's that are very floppy - the watch head ending up all over the place and at off angles regardless of much fiddling with links and clasp position.

What did used to irritate me was the watch head not sitting exactly in the centre of the wrist, tending to be slightly more towards the 6 o'clock position. This was with any kind of strap or bracelet. In the end I concluded that its down to the shape of my wrist and just stopped worrying about it.

Quote Originally Posted by alfat33 View Post

I too have to have the six side of any bracelet much much shorter than the twelve, to get the clasp sitting centrally on the bottom of my wrist, so that the watch head doesn't roll around to the outside.

I don't normally have any problems with straps, whether they be pin buckles or deployants. Presumably because straps are a lot lighter than bracelets. And a lot 'grippier'.

Quote Originally Posted by Velorum View Post
    What did used to irritate me was the watch head not sitting exactly in the centre of the wrist, tending to be slightly more towards the 6 o'clock position. This was with any kind of strap or bracelet. In the end I concluded that its down to the shape of my wrist and just stopped worrying about it.
    I have the same problem often - except that my watches tend to move towards 12 o'clock. Perhaps we need watch-tailors!

Quote Originally Posted by Velorum View Post
    I find that straps are worst for this for some reason at least until they are worn in and mould a little to the shape of my wrist.
    By looking at it, that’s probably the nature of my problem..
    The strap, where it meets the lugs, it’s quite thick, I’d say about half a centimetre.. so that’s probably why the watch rolls so much, because the leather is not moulding to the shape of my wrist but rather coming straight out of the lugs

Master
    I've only ever had this problem when a bracelet was far too loose.

I'm wondering if it's more prone to people with less flat wrists.

Master
    SuperGlue?...

Quote Originally Posted by redmonaco View Post
    SuperGlue?...
    Glad I'm not the only one....
    My first thought was double sided tape!

Sent from my [device_name] using TZ-UK mobile app

SuperGlue?...
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluehase284 View Post
    Glad I'm not the only one....
    My first thought was double sided tape!

Sent from my [device_name] using TZ-UK mobile app
    I use Hirsch anti allergy pads on the back of most of my watches - not because I have any allergies, but to help stop the watch head slide around.

They also have the benefit of stopping the caseback picking up scratches, which is good if you are one of the hysterical types that frets over marks. Like me.

Master
    I have quite flat wrists so I have never had this problem. I do wear a watch with the strap or bracelet quite snug so that may also be a factor.
    Try it a little tighter?

Grand Master
    I’ve had the same problem with bracelet watches. I have fairly skinny square wrists, and the problem is casd by the 6 side of the bracelet being too long thus causing the clasp to sit too fa around the wrist. I’ve got the same problem with a deployant strap thst’s too long, fortunately it as a cheap one so it’s no great loss but it’s v. annoying.

Paul

Blog Entries
    You may want to look at watches with curved lugs in profile - surprisingly some of the larger watches do this rather well - Blancpain Fifty Fathoms, Omega POC, Breitling B55/B50 etc - ironically 'smaller' diameter watches often have straight lugs (that don't curve down) so tend to roll more (in my experience).

(nb - I do have fairly flat wrists and also prefer to wear the watch above the lumpy bit )

Martyn
    Last edited by MartynJC (UK); 14th May 2018 at 23:05.

I have the problem of the watch migrating north too. Solution for me seems to be having a longer 12 side to the bracelet than 6. I do tend to wear watches quite loose though which probably doesn’t help but I can’t stand a tight watch.

Craftsman
    It's all about a correct departure angle from the case, a bending modulus in the strap that starts quite high, and a deployment clasp that sits correctly on the inside of your wrist. Get these right and you can wear a big watch on a slim wrist without it rotating, and without doing the strap up really tight:

Craftsman
    Another pic, showing the semi-fixed strap/case departure angle. If you've got a slipping or rotating watch then I'd recommend a curved end strap, like the one on this pic, and a deployment clasp.

From a physical prospective I believe the roll is due to the lugs coming down from the watch case to a wrist which is wider than the lug to lug distance (see “A”), hence the presence of that little yellow triangle “T”.

Solution for me was to (as suggested here by someone else) ever so slightly bend the leather strap where it meets the lugs, this way the leather hugs the wrist just right and lock the watch firmly in place.

Sometimes there is something indefinable about getting a good fit. I had a 14060 which use to turn on the wrist. When it was stolen, I replaced it with a 14060M, which is almost identical, but does not shift at all when I wear it. I usually apply the following principles to fitting:

1) I always have one bracelet link fewer on the radial (6 o'clock) aspect of my wrist so that the watch and clasp sit flat.

2) Cut off the unnecessary extra bit of NATO/Zulu straps so the watch head does not stand proud

3) Avoid watches with long or very flat lugs. I found the Longines Legend diver almost impossible to wear because of its lugs

Craftsman
    Have this problem with one of my Bremont's and it's really annoying! My other watches seem fine though.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Wolff View Post
    1) I always have one bracelet link fewer on the radial (6 o'clock) aspect of my wrist so that the watch and clasp sit flat.
    This is definitely the key to bracelets, they always seem to come with the clasp too far over the other side so it's not on the underside of the wrist... Yet it wants to be, so moves.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by scucivolo View Post

From a physical prospective I believe the roll is due to the lugs coming down from the watch case to a wrist which is wider than the lug to lug distance (see “A”), hence the presence of that little yellow triangle “T”.

Solution for me was to (as suggested here by someone else) ever so slightly bend the leather strap where it meets the lugs, this way the leather hugs the wrist just right and lock the watch firmly in place.

I love the diagram :D
    If rolling the strap close to the lugs doesn't work in the long term, try different strap with a tang buckle.
    I always have a spin issue with deployants, but never with tang. Ive often wondered if the extra leather close to the skin on the underside of the wrist prevents the slippage that steel seems to encourage (via the inside of a deployant clasp)

Journeyman
    SuperGlue?...
    HaHa, I like this word.

Craftsman
    Another suggestion which I've used in the past: use a really nice quality rubber strap. The extra friction means less spin and movement on the wrist. Obviously that suggestion only works if you like rubber.

Slightly off topic, prior to solving the issue I was having with the Blancpain and the leather strap, I was wandering what other strap would suit the watch? NATO/Zulu?

To complement this watch

Wow, I like your professional approach to the question! I’m not good enough in physics and I always preferred social and human sciences in college lol)
    Personally I don’t have such troubles and I can give the accolade and write an essay for NATO straps!
    Last edited by Marvyn; 16th May 2018 at 11:47.

Quote Originally Posted by Marvyn View Post
    Wow, I like your professional approach to the question! I’m not good enough in physics and I always preferred social and human sciences in college lol)
    Personally I don’t have such troubles and I can give the accolade and write an essay for NATO straps!
    So you would recommend it.. my only problem with NATOs is the length of the excess, but I guess I can always cut it out, right?

In the past I have glued a small strip of leather (from an old leather strap) to the back of the clasp on a stainless steel bracelet.

This was because that, even after taking all the removable bracelet links out, it was still a bit loose. This solution worked well and prevented the watch from slipping around on my wrist. Done carefully it's nigh on invisible too.

So you would recommend it.. my only problem with NATOs is the length of the excess, but I guess I can always cut it out, right?

Yes, it's a little long, but I make it shorter this way. And it’s very comfortable to wear

So many posts, all ignoring the obvious.

A small nail through a spare strap hole will stop unwanted rotation completely. If you can find one with annular rings on the shank, it will hold better in flesh and avoid the need to anchor into the bone.

Quote Originally Posted by unclealec View Post
    So many posts, all ignoring the obvious.

A small nail through a spare strap hole will stop unwanted rotation completely. If you can find one with annular rings on the shank, it will hold better in flesh and avoid the need to anchor into the bone.
    Oh well.. as long as it’s not anchored to the bone, I guess it’s feasible

Quote Originally Posted by Marvyn View Post
    Yes, it's a little long, but I make it shorter this way. And it’s very comfortable to wear
    I think I’ll try out a black NATO, why not! Any website to purchase from you wanna suggest?

Craftsman
    One of the advantages of the Sinn silicone straps with the large clasp is that it not only helps balance out the weight of the watch head, but that the silicone forms a semi-ridged oval that tends to stay were you want it to.

Quote Originally Posted by unclealec View Post
    A small nail through a spare strap hole will stop unwanted rotation completely.
    Is that the Opus Dei Limited Edition?

Anyone ever tried https://bandliners.com ?

They look like the work of the devil to me but I’m willing to be corrected.