closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: To polish or not?

Craftsman

To polish or not?

Wondering what the consensus is about polishing an old watch before selling. I have a couple of SS watches that have been regularly worn for several years. They both probably need servicing before I do move them on (one needs degaussing as a minimum for sure) But, should I have them polished? Both will benefit from it, however, I'm aware some buyers prefer 'as is' condition

NB: For those who like to cast appersions etc. this is not a clandestine offer for sale, so please don't ask. However, recommendations for independent vintage Swiss watch service providers would be appreciated. Thanks.

It will be very difficult to give any real advice without knowing what specific watches you are referring to.
    Pictures to asses the condition would also be most helpful.
    Last edited by dschaen81; 9th May 2018 at 19:24.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by ALindsay View Post
    Wondering what the consensus is about polishing an old watch before selling. I have a couple of SS watches that have been regularly worn for several years. They both probably need servicing before I do move them on (one needs degaussing as a minimum for sure) But, should I have them polished? Both will benefit from it, however, I'm aware some buyers prefer 'as is' condition

NB: For those who like to cast appersions etc. this is not a clandestine offer for sale, so please don't ask. However, recommendations for independent vintage Swiss watch service providers would be appreciated. Thanks.
    I feel like if there is an option for you to sell as is, you should do just that. You can always polish it afterwards if desired by the buyer, but you can't reverse a polish.

In most cases, don’t polish. It’s expensive if done well, and might even knock price off your watch...

Typically, collectors don’t like buying polished watches.

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

Grand Master
    I’ll keep this brief, if people give limited info it’s difficult to give a meaningful answer.

As already stated, it depends hugely on the watches in question, the current condition, the age and the metal.

I’m sure the OP doesn’t wish to be accused of a stealth sales post, possibly that’s why he’s keeping his cards to his chest.

A PM might be helpful, I’ve been known to buy the odd watch or two that need a bit of TLC, or I’ll be able to give a better opinion. However, despite having ‘ form’ for refinishing watches my opinion is still only an opinion.

Paul

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Minutes View Post

Typically, collectors don’t like buying polished watches.

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app
    Gross generalisation.

I’m a collector and I like refinished watches........provided they’re done properly. I prefer to refinish them myself for that very reason.

Like I said, depends on the watches, I’ve zero interest in vintage Rolex sports or Omega Speedmasters whete refinishing has become frowned upon by those who supposedly know better.

Paul

I wouldn't polish them,people tend to like them unpolished and as you are selling it to someone it should be their choice as to what to do with it

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

I want original, unpolished watches. I have a few that have been refinished, at my request or from a previous owner, but only if a watch has previously been polished incorrectly.
    "A man of little significance"

Journeyman
    To me, it depends on condition.

Journeyman
    I think watches are supposed to have some marks, shows that they have been in use. Also think that from a value perspective it is better to leave it unpolished.

To me it's an entirely personal thing. If it looks like it's been gone at with an angle grinder then yes it's probably best to get something done about otherwise I'd leave it, price it accordingly and let the prospective buyer decide what they want to do.

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

I like them fresh and polished
    I dont dollow the frensic of checking for hours if polished at any angle
    I dont collect i enjoy wearing

Any further south and i would have wet feet
    I'd leave them in original condition. If a buyer wants to get them refinished then they can make that decision. For instance,if they want to send the watch Of to get a cheap service and terrible refinish then that's their prerogative.

Craftsman
    I have seen Rolex that all of the edges have been polished out and it is criminal.
    An Oysterquartz has a very sharp and defined case. This is not a case to be polished by the average Joe. And needs proper equipment.

I have seen these with 2 "up and down" profiles on the same side of the watch instead of the 1 sharp profile.

Unless the case is in a bad way or there is a mark that catches the light constantly, I would not polish it.

Master
    If selling then leave unpolished which gives buyers two options. Polishing the watch gives them one option so narrowing your potential market.

Craftsman
    Thanks for the replies which seem to be unanimous in saying leave as is. So, any recommendations for an independent to service them? (they are both Swiss automatic with date and centre seconds functions. Thanks again.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Too Polish or not, I dunno you tell me?
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    Gross generalisation.

I’m a collector and I like refinished watches........provided they’re done properly. I prefer to refinish them myself for that very reason.

Like I said, depends on the watches, I’ve zero interest in vintage Rolex sports or Omega Speedmasters whete refinishing has become frowned upon by those who supposedly know better.

Paul
    Me too! Couldnt have put it better.

OP - Can we have some images of the watches please?- as without its a pretty pointless exercise - imho!
    David

I think don't polish if selling to WIS, but general Joe public would prefer a fresh polish (If done well) as they would rather avoid needing to sort it themselves.

Sent from my [device_name] using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Kakadu View Post
    Me too! Couldnt have put it better.

OP - Can we have some images of the watches please?- as without its a pretty pointless exercise - imho!
    David
    I would, if it wasn't for the fact that some self appointed moderator, with little else to do, would point a finger and wrongly accuse me of trying to sell through the back door.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    Gross generalisation.

Paul
    Exactly - older watches that have already been polished usually attract more scrutiny than those left as is, as the ultimate purchaser would rather make the decision of whether/where to polish than have it forced upon them! Save money and worry and sell as-is.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk