closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Worth checking out: Ketelaars watches

Worth checking out: Ketelaars watches

Over on the Dutch watch forum, member Stefan Ketelaars posts regular updates on his progress in designing and building watches. He started out skeletonising movements, but he soon graduated to designing and making watches with some beautiful complications. It's a joy to read his posts, and the speed with which he learns and does stuff is frankly amazing - especially for someone with no technical background like myself. Seeing the progress he's making, I honestly believe he will be an established maker of haute horlogerie in the future. See below for one of his creations (photos lifted from one of his forum threads). I'm afraid that most of you won't be able to read Dutch, but he also has an English language website presenting his watches so far.

I have no affiliation to the guy, but I figured that, like me, some of you would be interested in this brand in the making. What do you guys think?

Master
    Looks lovely, thanks for sharing.

Craftsman
    Wow, how unusual and looks to be great quality too.

Master
    That looks lovely, does he manufacture his own movements?

here is a link to his website:

http://ketelaarswatches.com/

he uses ETA movements, hardly surprising really but certainly eye catching designs

Looks a bit crazy but I like it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by alphajet View Post
    That looks lovely, does he manufacture his own movements?
    He currently uses ETA movements, but I understand he contemplates building his own.

Monochrome did a write-up of Ketelaars here: https://monochrome-watches.com/ketel...12JllRHjBjBLEA

I think he's making giant leaps; not too long ago this guy arrived on the Dutch horlogeforum.nl asking guidance on skeletonising a watch movement. I honestly believe he'll be a big name in watch making one day. No affiliation by the way, just in awe of his work.

Master
    They are very different but beautiful watches

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by JackW View Post
    Monochrome did a write-up of Ketelaars here: https://monochrome-watches.com/ketel...12JllRHjBjBLEA

I think he's making giant leaps; not too long ago this guy arrived on the Dutch horlogeforum.nl asking guidance on skeletonising a watch movement. I honestly believe he'll be a big name in watch making one day. No affiliation by the way, just in awe of his work.
    Never heard of, but indeed looks as if he's doing some good work. I don't usually venture south when in Holland, but I may try do so whenever I'm next over after lockdown!

Been watching his progress on Facebook for a while now. Very talented chap, and the quality and integrity of what he produces is growing all the time. Be surprised if he doesn't have his own movement before too much longer.

Suspect I shall one day regret not purchasing while prices are still ~relatively~ affordable...

Quote Originally Posted by crazyp View Post
    Never heard of, but indeed looks as if he's doing some good work. I don't usually venture south when in Holland, but I may try do so whenever I'm next over after lockdown!
    There's more to NL than Schiphol/Amsterdam. ;) Happy to organise a mini GTG or buy you a beer when things are back to normal!

Quote Originally Posted by earlofsodbury View Post
    Been watching his progress on Facebook for a while now. Very talented chap, and the quality and integrity of what he produces is growing all the time. Be surprised if he doesn't have his own movement before too much longer.

Suspect I shall one day regret not purchasing while prices are still ~relatively~ affordable...
    He's working on his own movement and there's no doubt in my mind he'll pull it off. Great to hear you're following his progress.

Master
    These are gorgeous and yes I would agree, good value

Master
    "The new Terra Luna model in progress, this watch will have an in-house movement and wil be 39.5*10mm including glass box crystal. The watch will have an 3D earth and 3D moon complication in combination with a balance wheel on the dial side and a subdial"

There's more to NL than Schiphol/Amsterdam. ;) Happy to organise a mini GTG or buy you a beer when things are back to normal!

He's working on his own movement and there's no doubt in my mind he'll pull it off. Great to hear you're following his progress.
    Haha, I lived in the country for 10 years - mostly north of Netherlands however. Venturing south was a rarity unless it was to get to Belgium!

I hope he succeeds with his own movement.

Apprentice
    He's definitely someone to watch!
    He makes interesting watches, and I'm looking forward to seeing his in house movement.

Unfortunately I think he's charging a bit too much for his watches, considering he's just one guy, and relatively unknown. Ofcourse not compared to big brands, but compared to something similar in workmanship like a dornblüth, which is at least as handmade, his prices are quite high.

Craftsman
    They are unusual watches, that’s for sure. I was not aware of this chap, so will be following his progress.

Thanks for posting OP

Haha, I lived in the country for 10 years - mostly north of Netherlands however. Venturing south was a rarity unless it was to get to Belgium!

I hope he succeeds with his own movement.

Ah, ignore my comment then!

Quote Originally Posted by En_nissen View Post
    He's definitely someone to watch!
    He makes interesting watches, and I'm looking forward to seeing his in house movement.

Unfortunately I think he's charging a bit too much for his watches, considering he's just one guy, and relatively unknown. Ofcourse not compared to big brands, but compared to something similar in workmanship like a dornblüth, which is at least as handmade, his prices are quite high.
    I get your point, but judging by his success I think his pricing is about right. Stupid as it may seem, I don't think he'd be taken as seriously if his price wasn't high enough...

Apprentice
    Ah, ignore my comment then!

I get your point, but judging by his success I think his pricing is about right. Stupid as it may seem, I don't think he'd be taken as seriously if his price wasn't high enough...
    I get your point, but I feel like unknown small independents need to be above the smoke and mirrors that surround the watch industry. So definitely not the kind of pricing strategy I'll buy into, but I'm sure it will work in his favour.

Quote Originally Posted by En_nissen View Post
    I get your point, but I feel like unknown small independents need to be above the smoke and mirrors that surround the watch industry. So definitely not the kind of pricing strategy I'll buy into, but I'm sure it will work in his favour.
    I mean the poor chap hasn't been fortunate to grow up in Switzerland, train at the likes of Patek and get the acceptance from the old school watchmakers. He's grafting and figuring things out and finally up to a point where he can make watches to a standard he can sell.

What he is doing I think is pretty damn amazing. The amount of hand work gone into the watch finishing is good for the price. No doubt the time to do that stuff is not inconsequential. Remember - that price also includes future project costs.

Apprentice
    I mean the poor chap hasn't been fortunate to grow up in Switzerland, train at the likes of Patek and get the acceptance from the old school watchmakers. He's grafting and figuring things out and finally up to a point where he can make watches to a standard he can sell.

What he is doing I think is pretty damn amazing. The amount of hand work gone into the watch finishing is good for the price. No doubt the time to do that stuff is not inconsequential. Remember - that price also includes future project costs.
    Agreed, he is something special. I think I derailed the thread a bit, and presented my point more harshly than what I meant. His pieces are indeed interesting and unique.