closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Prague

Master

Prague

I'm going to Prague for a long weekend tomorrow. Any suggestions for places to visit. We're going to do a walking tour which will include the clock, the Kafka statue and the Castle but not sure what else. Also are there any interesting watch shops I should go to.

Ta

J

Sent from my [device_name] using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Curta View Post
    Interesting. Might look into that one. Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Parabola View Post
    Interesting. Might look into that one. Cheers
    The transport hall is pretty cool as well as the stuff on the measurement of time. It is first place that I saw an actual Curta on display. Can be combined with a walk through the park to the castle district.

Craftsman
    The Petrin observation tower is worth a visit , https://www.pragueexperience.com/places.asp?PlaceID=604

The Jewish Museum.

Went there in 2007 and it really moved me. even now when I think about it.

I'm a big fan of the cafes in Prague - the best are Imperial, Slavia, Obecni Dum (an art nouveau masterpiece) and my favourite Louvre. It was here that Kafka and Einstein amongst others would drink coffee & chat in this Austro-Hungarian influenced long room.

Cafe Lucerna (at the entrance to the cinema) is also a stunning early 20th C space in the Lucerna passageway just off Vaclavske Namesti. Only 5 mins away from the busy tourist trail it's a fascinating quirky place to grab a coffee or beer. All of these are good for a beer, coffee and/or meal - they aren't pushy.

Charles Bridge is stunning but gets very very busy (watch out for pickpockets in the busy spots) best very early in the morning - worth getting up for!

Master
    Not 100% sure here but I’ve a feeling I read recently the clock is now covered up for repair work.

I have always wanted to visit the church where the resistance were trapped after the assassination of Reinhard Heydrich. Friend of mine visited recently and said it was very sobering.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Anthropoid

Journeyman
    Lots of sound advice on here, especially regarding pick pockets. I hada friend who lived in Czech who was going through a mobile phone a month. I also hada camera taken from a closed rucksack on the metro while heading to the airport. Just be aware and careful.
    The St Cyril church ( where Heydrich’s assassins were run to ground ) is definately worth a visit, though I am keen on history. I’d also recommend the view from the Castle on a nice day and Charles Bridge, if not absolutely awash with tourist- the advice to go early is wise.
    Enjoy, and have a safe and pleasant weekend.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Mac View Post
    Not 100% sure here but I’ve a feeling I read recently the clock is now covered up for repair work.
    It most certainly is. Went there yesterday. It will be covered until the end of July

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by vulcangascompany View Post
    I'm a big fan of the cafes in Prague - the best are Imperial, Slavia, Obecni Dum (an art nouveau masterpiece) and my favourite Louvre. It was here that Kafka and Einstein amongst others would drink coffee & chat in this Austro-Hungarian influenced long room.

Cafe Lucerna (at the entrance to the cinema) is also a stunning early 20th C space in the Lucerna passageway just off Vaclavske Namesti. Only 5 mins away from the busy tourist trail it's a fascinating quirky place to grab a coffee or beer. All of these are good for a beer, coffee and/or meal - they aren't pushy.

Charles Bridge is stunning but gets very very busy (watch out for pickpockets in the busy spots) best very early in the morning - worth getting up for!
    Excellent. Thinking of having a fairly chilled day today so they sound good

Craftsman
    My wife went there with her friends. One of them had their purse nicked from her bag. Apparently, pickpocketing gangs are rife out there so be careful. They had a good time but that experience soured the whole trip.