closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Understanding Panerai references

Understanding Panerai references

Hi all,

After posting my SOTC a couple of days ago I ft like a rush to move on to the next piece.. a brand that has always interested me, is Panerai. Unfortunately though, they all seem pretty similar to me.. although, it can’t be true, since there is quite a substantial price difference between references of the same model. The question is/are:

1. Can a Panerai be worn on a 17cm wrist?
    Wrist shots welcome..
    2. What would be an entry level Panerai?
    I don’t mind either Luminor or Radiomir, although the Luminor is probably my favourite..
    3. Is there any particular reference that is more sought after than others? and why?

Thank you
    Claudio

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

First thing is definitely the size, I have always wanted a Luminor but struggled with the size.
    Not just the width, although 44mm plus is really too big for my 18 cm(on a hot day) wrist
    but the height of on the luminors. I even bought a cheap homage to try it but after
    a week and probably knocking it 3/4 times decided definitely couldn’t live with it.

last year they introduced a 42mm 1950 Luminor with a new 3 day power reserve movement
    which is thinner so they could reduce the case height as well. Perfect for me and have now had it for
    2 weeks, PAM 00722. They also do it on a strap but I wanted the option of the bracelet, it has the easy change push button changing system.

Purists may not like it but it’s a wearable Panerai for me.

My wrists are probably about the same size as yours

I wear a PAM 380 regularly and it is one of my most comfortable watches.

It's a Radiomir model, which might be better for you as the lugs are wire, they don't really make the lug to lug much bigger than the width of the watch, which is 45mm without crown.

Here's a pic, which might demonstrate:

2018-03-23_08-33-38 by mcridland, on Flickr

All the best

Mark

Master
    My wrists are nearer 16cm and I love, love, love my 676 Due Luminor: 42mm with a stunning sunburst dial. See https://www.ablogtowatch.com/panerai...-days-watches/

There's also a titanium version with blue dial that I still kick myself for missing on the SC a few months ago. I'm too sad to post a picture of that.

I also have a 42mm sub. See: https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/pa...-42mm-hands-on

...I actually found the supplied strap a tad too long, so I picked up an extra short in blue from the London boutique and it fits me like a dream.

Both are perfect for smaller waisted chaps.

Cheers!

simon
    Last edited by gladders; 17th May 2018 at 16:12. Reason: fixed wrong asset :)

Master
    Here’s the 682 on that short blue strap...

Craftsman
    Recently had a look at the PAM1537, which I actually think looks absolutely stunning, it does have a RRP of 7600 though!

I've got small wrists, but it seems to fit well!

My 00722

Craftsman
    The blue strap looks great ,picks up the second hand nicely.

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

Really like the 380 Radiomir I had, just not keen on the Luminor, although if it didnt have the crown guard and was on a bracelet I might consider it.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Neilw3030 View Post
    ...although if it didnt have the crown guard...
    The 1940 collection (see: http://www.panerai.com/en/collection...omir-1940.html) have the Luminor lugs, without a crown guard. Although no bracelet.

simon

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by gladders View Post
    The 1940 collection (see: http://www.panerai.com/en/collection...omir-1940.html) have the Luminor lugs, without a crown guard. Although no bracelet.

simon
    Quite a pleasant surprise that I like the cheaper ones from the ranges.

Journeyman
    Really like the look of the Due. The 3atm rating is really disappointing and off putting though. I recognise it’s not really a diver and indeed must divers probably see depths no greater than that of a swimming pool, but you think that with those looks Panerai could engineer a case that wouldn’t have you worrying about taking it in the bath.

Nice pics and all, but no answers to the questions I had XD
    I guess that when it comes to Panerai, you either buy it because you love it or you don’t buy it thinking it isn’t worthy.. but I’m still somehow in the middle, is that possible?

Inviato dal mio iPad utilizzando Tapatalk

Master
    I have not been able to spot any logic in there reference numbers - they appear to be pretty random. Aside from a few that I remember, I typically have to look up which watch is which

Journeyman

Understanding Panerai references

Quote Originally Posted by anz3001 View Post
    Quite a pleasant surprise that I like the cheaper ones from the ranges.
    Just purchased a Pam587. 47mm case. Very comfortable even though I have girly wrists 16cm.

I tried on 44mm luminor and very comfortable too. Though 47mm luminor 1950 was a bit big due to crown guard.

Base models are generally more desirable I think. But go for what you like. Find an AD and try them on. I found they wear much more comfortably than I expected.

No idea about the model numbers. They seem random. Panerai website is pretty good though. You can even go back into past years to view models as released.