closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Strange Marks on Panerai Case

Craftsman

Strange Marks on Panerai Case

Hi guys, does anybody have any thoughts on what the marks shown in the picture below are, and how they might be removed, please? The watch is a PAM728, titanium case. I look after my watches and this has been nowhere near water (being 3ATM only I'm especially careful). The marks aren't all over the case (not on the back for example), which leads me to think that something has been splashed on it, but I can't think what. I've tried cleaning with pure water, soap and water, then an ammonia based cleaner. Nothing really made a difference, which makes me thing the metal itself has been impregnated (as it were).

I have reported it to Panerai and will be taking it in to the London boutique soon, but wondered if anybody here had a view as well first. Thanks in advance!

Journeyman
    Have you kept the watch stored away for awhile? It could be fungus spores.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by ryip88 View Post
    Have you kept the watch stored away for awhile? It could be fungus spores.
    No not really, just kept in a watch box with my other watches, worn every few days in a random rotation.

Pic was showing, but now gone it seems.

I've asked some metally chums, and brake fluid seems a possibility. Tinkerer with cars perchance?

Quote Originally Posted by hughtrimble View Post

I've asked some metally chums
    Is one of them called micky by any chance?
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

Craftsman
    Pic was showing, but now gone it seems.

I've asked some metally chums, and brake fluid seems a possibility. Tinkerer with cars perchance?
    Sort of, but not to a brake fluid type level (!), and in any case I don't wear the watch for that kind of thing. Thanks for asking/thinking about it though. I have worn it in the rain, maybe it got splashed with something unpleasant from the road ... unlikely though really.

Quote Originally Posted by seikopath View Post
    Is one of them called micky by any chance?
    That would be far too fortunate!

Had some more feedback on the marks from knife makers who frequently use Grade 5 titanium for their work (PAM apparently use both Grade 2 and 5 for their cases, but I can find no info on what was used for the 728 and whether all of it is made of the same grade given the separate crown guard etc.)

• Nitric or hydrofluoric acid make this effect
    • Drain cleaner
    • Brake fluid
    • Cleaning products that are particularly acidic
    • Rust eater
    • Corrosion converter
    • Oxyclean or similar

So quite a selection! General concensus is it will polish out with abrasives, but given the value of this, a pro job might be wisest!

A comment earlier on before revealing it didn't leave the factory like this, was that excessive hydrogen used in the manufacturing process can leave imperfections in titanium which can cause spots of discolouration, which can eventually look like spots of corrosion, but this is usually isolated and is unlikely to be the case for the amount of spotting seen on your watch.

Craftsman
    Thanks. I dropped the watch in at the Panerai boutique this morning, and they were basically mystified as well, beyond saying that it appeared to be "permanent" damage, caused by a chemical substance of some kind. It's going to HQ for more analysis, but their basic recommendation is for a light polish, which doesn't fill me with delight, but I agreed to it, if that's the only option (I mentioned a case, or whole watch, replacement instead, and they basically laughed at me).

Craftsman

Panerai case

Panerai has a history over the past number of years of manufacturing faults within its case and coatings production line but whether that would be specific to your watch I cannot say.

Hopefully Panerai servicing do not try to fob you off with some story but they are not the most respected of service departments unfortunately.

Craftsman

• Nitric or hydrofluoric acid make this effect
    • Drain cleaner
    • Brake fluid
    • Cleaning products that are particularly acidic
    • Rust eater
    • Corrosion converter
    • Oxyclean or similar

If it was any of these materials, you would have remembered using these materials. Hopefully you were not wearing it when handling nitric or hydroflouric acid. As case damage would be the least of your worries.

Hopefully you will get a positive outcome and also a report as to what caused this issue.

Where is the picture? All I can see is a no entry logo

Craftsman
    It's hosted at Google Photos - I can see it here (and on another PC I tried), so I don't really know why it doesn't show for others, sorry.

Grand Master
    Can`t see the picture, but clearly the obvious answer, if it won`t wipe off, is to refinish the metal. If it's been etched slightly the surface will need refinishing.

Panerai service folks are the best to do it.

It's unusual for this to happen, titanium resists corrosion pretty well. A view under a strong magnifier may cast more light on it, but I think theh answer's the same. Light refinishing will get it right.

Refinishing's become almost a dirty word on this forum, that's because most people don`t understand it properly and they fail to visualise what's really going on. A few microns of metal get removed and you won`t miss that.

Paul

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    As much as everyone enjoys the patronising reasoning that they don't care for polished watches because they don't "understand" it, it's completely reasonable to professionally refinish a damaged modern watch.
    We aren't talking vintage watches that have had microns and microns and microns removed over the years until they're skinny lugged and rounded at the rear. FML.

It's a chunky Pam, I suspect it'll survive despite not being able to see the pic either.

Quote Originally Posted by Kiloman View Post
    If it was any of these materials, you would have remembered using these materials. Hopefully you were not wearing it when handling nitric or hydroflouric acid. As case damage would be the least of your worries.

Hopefully you will get a positive outcome and also a report as to what caused this issue.
    I think that goes without saying. The point being, it seems it takes some pretty unkind stuff, if indeed as a result of user action rather than an inbuilt material flaw, to create those sorts of marks.

Craftsman
    Good news on this - I got the watch back today, and the marks have been successfully removed. They initially told me they'd managed it without polishing, although then went on to explain it was done with a polishing cloth and some "special polish", by hand, which is at least less invasive than a full machine polish. I'm happy with the results (and how long it took, less than a week) anyway.

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueIn2Red View Post
    Good news on this - I got the watch back today, and the marks have been successfully removed. They initially told me they'd managed it without polishing, although then went on to explain it was done with a polishing cloth and some "special polish", by hand, which is at least less invasive than a full machine polish. I'm happy with the results (and how long it took, less than a week) anyway.
    That’s great!

Did they charge you?

Craftsman
    They did not.

Craftsman
    Did they manage to tell you how this type of damage occurred?

I would like to understand how this occurred.

Craftsman
    They had no idea, beyond "some kind of chemical". The only thing I can think of that might possibly have come into contact with the watch is kitchen cleaning spray, but we only use your basic APC, which surely shouldn't cause this kind of damage.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Sandvik Avesta use to supply Ti to the Swiss watch industry, i'm sure Sandvik would be knowledgeable on the marking.

Bry

Quote Originally Posted by BlueIn2Red View Post
    kitchen cleaning spray, but we only use your basic APC, which surely shouldn't cause this kind of damage.
    Titanium isn’t like stainless steel, it can be damaged by bleach, even chlorinated water. I think most all purpose cleaners have some kind of bleaching or oxidising agent in them, so you might have been unlucky with your APC.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Titanium also likes to SPARK>>>

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-jrN6FiEvA

Quote Originally Posted by alfat33 View Post
    Titanium isn’t like stainless steel, it can be damaged by bleach, even chlorinated water. I think most all purpose cleaners have some kind of bleaching or oxidising agent in them, so you might have been unlucky with your APC.
    So you cannot use a titanium case water resistant watch in a swimming pool?? 🧐

I am thinking of purchasing an Omega Seamaster Aquaterra 150m coaxial with a titanium case. This might make me think twice then!

Quote Originally Posted by alpharulez View Post
    So you cannot use a titanium case water resistant watch in a swimming pool?? 類

I am thinking of purchasing an Omega Seamaster Aquaterra 150m coaxial with a titanium case. This might make me think twice then!
    Titanium is perfectly fine and probably more resistant than stainless: - https://swimswam.com/what-is-the-res...l-environment/

Indeed, titanium is the material of choice for sodium hypochlorite (bleach) storage tanks: - https://www.powellfab.com/technical_.../files/810.pdf

Have to agree with the above. I’ve worn a titanium case swimming in pools and the ocean and have never had and discolouration.

I will however stop cleaning things with my watches on, referencing the oven cleaner post. I do suspect there is a member here who wears his Rolex around all sorts of cleaners/ brake fluids and it still looks fine. It would be interesting to hear of someone with first hand experience of fluids discolouring watches.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Titanium is perfectly fine and probably more resistant than stainless: - https://swimswam.com/what-is-the-res...l-environment/

Indeed, titanium is the material of choice for sodium hypochlorite (bleach) storage tanks: - https://www.powellfab.com/technical_.../files/810.pdf
    I stand corrected on the chlorinated water point, apologies for misleading anyone.

Craftsman
    There goes my excuses at home for not cleaning whilst wearing a titanium watch!!

Next thing someone will tell me that I cannot use my diving watch swimming...