closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: The Centurions MCFC

The Centurions MCFC

Praise be to the greatest football team to grace the top flight of English Football.
    History makers, record breakers , call them what you will , but they have achieved many targets this season playing simply breathtaking football.
    After the first season doubts about Pep, he has taken to the Premier League with his brilliant style of management and propelled his team forward.
    Highest points ever, most goals scored,most wins home and away, highest +goal difference, biggest ever gap between 1st and 2nd, most consecutive wins etc etc but all done in a style that true football fans would love their team to play in.
    Fitting that the 100 points should be achieved in "Agueroooooooooooooooooooo" time too.

Blog Entries
    Indeed.
    Well deserved, they not only play well - they work hard - & as a team.
    It has proven to be a winning (& record breaking) combination.
    A long way from my days as a Junior Blue & ball boy (that season we were relegated after losing to Luton)

z

The Centurions MCFC

The greatest are surely the Arsenal invincibles as they didn’t lose a game. City were great this season but the invincibles are the benchmark. How many of the current city side would get into the invincibles - that’s a genuine question.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    The greatest are surely the Arsenal invincibles as they didn’t lose a game. City were great this season but the invincibles are the benchmark. How many of the current city side would get into the invincibles - that’s a genuine question.
    I don't have a dog in this fight, but surely the most points is the benchmark.

Quote Originally Posted by guinea View Post
    I don't have a dog in this fight, but surely the most points is the benchmark.
    Depends what you are up against though. The Man Utd team that Arsenal were up against were stiffer competition than City had to face.

I can't take you seriously as you once said Ozil was better than David Silva 
    Seriously, different eras will always throw up comparisons that can't ever be answered. Plus, no matter what arguments you and I might have for various players, I'll always take de Bruyne over Vieira, Sane over Overmars, Aguero over Bergkamp etc etc. and you'll always have the opposite.

Not to belittle Arsenals achievements that season, but you had 12 draws and only one serious rival .

Balls, don't know how to edit the post to get my response outside your reply .
    Last edited by thegoat; 13th May 2018 at 21:31.

Master
    I have no dog either and it was a fantastic achievement today (Man U fan), however for me I doubt anything will top Leicester. That was just incredible all things considered.

Blog Entries
    they’re no Leicester City!

De Bruyne, David Silva, Aguero, Kompany, Ederson (he’s been outstanding this season) Toure at his peak.

Arsenal had a few outstanding individuals but it’s the team work that made both sides great, both sides had such great belief.

Quote Originally Posted by sevvy View Post
    De Bruyne, David Silva, Aguero, Kompany, Ederson (he’s been outstanding this season) Toure at his peak.

Arsenal had a few outstanding individuals but it’s the team work that made both sides great, both sides had such great belief.
    Aguero wouldn’t get into that team ahead of Henry and Bergkamp. De Bruyne yes (ahead of Pires), Silva yes (ahead of Ljungberg) Kompany not ahead of Sol Campbell, possibly ahead of Kolo Toure but Kompany hasn’t been at his best this year. Ederson possibly (Lehman wasn’t brilliant). Toure isn’t getting in ahead of Vieira.

They've had an incredible season. But it's impossible to say they're the best when comparing to the past.

As an arsenal fan the invincible season obviously stands out (there's a reason it happens so rarely).

As impressive as city have been, they've won the PL, and the league cup. I don't see how that can be considered 'better' than Utd's treble season. In fact, I'd say it can't be.

They've beaten Chelseas points tally I think? And that teams never been mentioned as the greatest? Folks are getting over excited by the nice even 100 points imo. Win 2 or 3 on the bounce, go a season unbeaten or win more than one of the big 3 trophies to be in that conversation.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

I don't have a dog in this fight either, but I wonder how much Pep (and their owners) actually spent in order to be the best team in England - this season? I heard that it was just £400m last year!!

That said, MCFC have mostly been a joy to watch and it was a shame they didn't go further in the European Championship.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Just a by the way, the season 50 years ago, City champions, United runners-up. Quite a forward line: Summerbee, Lee, Young.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Andyg View Post
    I don't have a dog in this fight either, but I wonder how much Pep (and their owners) actually spent in order to be the best team in England - this season? I heard that it was just £400m last year!!

That said, MCFC have mostly been a joy to watch and it was a shame they didn't go further in the European Championship.
    Transfer fees for players have gotten ridiculous but City’s spending is no different to what Chelsea and United have spent comparatively in previous seasons.
    It’s also what you do with the money that matters. City’s best signing was Pep who has made every player at City better. Pogba and Lukaku cost United more than any City player but they’ve certainly not improved under Jose’s guidance.
    The key for City will be keeping Pep beyond his current contract. If they can then they’ve got a real chance to win more and more.

[QUOTE=BillyCasper;4764445]Just a by the way, the season 50 years ago, City champions, United runners-up. Quite a forward line: Summerbee, Lee, Young.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk[/QUOTE

I was at the City game at St James Park to see a cracking 4-3 win for City over the mags. Sunderland beat Utd 2-1 at OT to end a perfect day for me. How times have changed.

A fantastic achievement and one that rightly should be acknowledged this season. They will be a ‘great’ team once they’ve dominated for a decade or more like Man Utd and Liverpool did and not before that.

Well done though

Outstanding team. A joy at times. I'll not tire of standing in the May sunshine watching the trophy lifted.

The Centurions MCFC

[QUOTE=Dunce;4764488]
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyCasper View Post
    Just a by the way, the season 50 years ago, City champions, United runners-up. Quite a forward line: Summerbee, Lee, Young.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk[/QUOTE

I was at the City game at St James Park to see a cracking 4-3 win for City over the mags. Sunderland beat Utd 2-1 at OT to end a perfect day for me. How times have changed.
    Not so happy as a United fan. Chucked the title away that year with late losses to WBA and Sunderland. Had to play Real Madrid in the European semi straight after Sunderland.

Anyway, fifty years ago was a good year for Manchester, City Div 1 and Utd EC.

Back to fifty years later, congratulations to City, through gritted teeth. Can’t begrudge somebody like David Silva, a great player.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by thegoat View Post
    Praise be to the greatest football team to grace the top flight of English Football.
    History makers, record breakers , call them what you will , but they have achieved many targets this season playing simply breathtaking football.
    After the first season doubts about Pep, he has taken to the Premier League with his brilliant style of management and propelled his team forward.
    Highest points ever, most goals scored,most wins home and away, highest +goal difference, biggest ever gap between 1st and 2nd, most consecutive wins etc etc but all done in a style that true football fans would love their team to play in.
    Fitting that the 100 points should be achieved in "Agueroooooooooooooooooooo" time too.
    A fantastic achievement Lee! City should certainly be congratulated. Although, Chelsea still hold the most home wins record in 2005/6

They were chatting on Talksport about the two sides and the conclusion was that not very many Arsenal players from 2003/4 would have made it into the City 2017/18 squad. And remember, you only got that mantle thanks to Pires's dive against Pompey at home to rescue a point and Pizzagate took any class away from that year.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by WarrenVrs View Post
    They've had an incredible season. But it's impossible to say they're the best when comparing to the past.

As an arsenal fan the invincible season obviously stands out (there's a reason it happens so rarely).

As impressive as city have been, they've won the PL, and the league cup. I don't see how that can be considered 'better' than Utd's treble season. In fact, I'd say it can't be.

They've beaten Chelseas points tally I think? And that teams never been mentioned as the greatest? Folks are getting over excited by the nice even 100 points imo. Win 2 or 3 on the bounce, go a season unbeaten or win more than one of the big 3 trophies to be in that conversation.

Mourinho's Chelsea from 2004/5 is often mentioned in such conversations. Remember, it was only a dubious penalty against Man City away that year that meant Chelsea didn't go unbeaten for a whole season, as opposed to Arsenal only achieving such a record thanks to their own Robert Pires's dive against Portsmouth at home to rescue a point. If it hadn't have been for that penalty decision at City that year, Chelsea would also have gone on to 52 games unbeaten.

Quote Originally Posted by sevvy View Post
    Transfer fees for players have gotten ridiculous but City’s spending is no different to what Chelsea and United have spent comparatively in previous seasons.
    Would it be fairer then to call ManC the greatest of the three big teams to have massively outspent everyone else to win the league?

I'm also going with Leicester. Amazing achievement.
    "A man of little significance"

Quote Originally Posted by Foxy100 View Post
    Would it be fairer then to call ManC the greatest of the three big teams to have massively outspent everyone else to win the league?

Your sentiment is correct but Man Utd are still the only truly ‘great’ team in the modern era because they did it over a period of many years. Winning one league title, albeit in great style, does not make a great team. You can’t compare City to Liverpool and Man Utd....yet.

Master
    City have done well in the premier league this season - as close to total domination as you can get. That alone deserves recognition. But I think United's treble in 1999 still ranks as the best team in terms of accomplishments in a year, and that was done before the really crazy money started flowing into the game. It would be close to impossible to repeat nowadays given the competition.

What is truly incredible is how United managed to dominate for so long, and you can argue Sir Alex built 3-4 exceptional teams.

This year I think is just the start for City - won't be surprised if they win shedloads in the coming years. I'd be glad as they (and Liverpool) play football the right way.

Sent from my Huawei Mate 10 Pro using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by TaketheCannoli View Post
    Your sentiment is correct but Man Utd are still the only truly ‘great’ team in the modern era because they did it over a period of many years. Winning one league title, albeit in great style, does not make a great team. You can’t compare City to Liverpool and Man Utd....yet.
    Why does there have to be a caveat?
    City are a great team , simple .
    If a sportsman only wins one gold at the Olympics, is it not a great achievement?
    If the Stone Roses had only released their debut album before calling it a day, wouldn’t it still be a great album?
    We’ve been almost unstoppable this season , and, a few dodgy decisions aside, we would’ve also gone the full season unbeaten. Wether this team goes on to a period of domination remains to be seen but this season will always be brilliant from a great team .

Oh , and that penalty for City v Chelsea was nailed on 😂😂😂
    Good luck Saturday fella 👍

We aren’t playing on Saturday, the season is over.

Quote Originally Posted by TaketheCannoli View Post
    We aren’t playing on Saturday, the season is over.
    Wasn't meant for you, it was for BSB and Chelsea. They are playing Saturday. The season isn't over .

A dive in the 37th minute against portsmouth is the 'only' reason Arsenal went unbeaten. Got to love internet logic!

Blog Entries
    A dive in the 37th minute against portsmouth is the 'only' reason Arsenal went unbeaten. Got to love internet logic!

Let me explain the logic. In a game when Arsenal were losing 0-1 to Portsmouth, Robert Pires dived to win an undeserved penalty that was scored to level the score unfairly. Arsenal didn't score any other goals in the game and so, avoided a defeat by cheating. If the referee had seen the dive correctly, Pires would have likely been sent off and Arsenal would have lost. In that instance, Arsenal's record in the 03/04 season would have been worse than Chelsea's the following season and would have been even further behind than the Man City 17/18 season. What is it that you can logically disagree with?

Quote Originally Posted by BSB View Post
    Let me explain the logic. In a game when Arsenal were losing 0-1 to Portsmouth, Robert Pires dived to win an undeserved penalty that was scored to level the score unfairly. Arsenal didn't score any other goals in the game and so, avoided a defeat by cheating. If the referee had seen the dive correctly, Pires would have likely been sent off and Arsenal would have lost. In that instance, Arsenal's record in the 03/04 season would have been worse than Chelsea's the following season and would have been even further behind than the Man City 17/18 season. What is it that you can logically disagree with?
    The simplistic thinking that leads someone to belief that every incident in a football match, doesn't have a knock on effect. I'll name it something catchy, the butterfly effect?

Each moment, leads to infinite possibilities further up the road. The idea that the game would have followed the exact same path had the penalty not occurred, is naive.

And, since when, did a dive equal a straight red? Pires wasnt on a yellow card. It would have been a yellow. And the entire path of the game would have been different. Portsmouth could have won 2 nil. Arsenal could have won 3-1. We'll never be able to know, to claim certainty is, again naive.

I'm pretty sure those are logical points, but feel free to disagree.

Enjoy your evening chap.

Blog Entries
    The simplistic thinking that leads someone to belief that every incident in a football match, doesn't have a knock on effect. I'll name it something catchy, the butterfly effect?

Each moment, leads to infinite possibilities further up the road. The idea that the game would have followed the exact same path had the penalty not occurred, is naive.

And, since when, did a dive equal a straight red? Pires wasnt on a yellow card. It would have been a yellow. And the entire path of the game would have been different. Portsmouth could have won 2 nil. Arsenal could have won 3-1. We'll never be able to know, to claim certainty is, again naive.

I'm pretty sure those are logical points, but feel free to disagree.

Enjoy your evening chap.

https://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/fo...-Arsene-Wenger

Enjoy yours too, 'chap'

Quote Originally Posted by BSB View Post
    Excellent. Good article. Not sure what it shows, other than it was a dive. Which it was. So, what point are you trying to make?

An impressive season indeed - many records broken. Similarly Arsenal's 2004 success was impressive too by going unbeaten.

In a similar spirit what about United's 99 treble-winning side? Surely just as, if not more impressive? Winning three trophies including the CL will take some beating and let's not forget this was during a period where they won 13 Premier League titles including 3 in a row amd numerous other trophies. Truly impressive.

Arsenal didn't manage to kick on from 2004 and it will be interesting to see if City can build the lasting success that United did in the Ferguson era.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by sweeney View Post
    An impressive season indeed - many records broken. Similarly Arsenal's 2004 success was impressive too by going unbeaten.

In a similar spirit what about United's 99 treble-winning side? Surely just as, if not more impressive? Winning three trophies including the CL will take some beating and let's not forget this was during a period where they won 13 Premier League titles including 3 in a row amd numerous other trophies. Truly impressive.

Arsenal didn't manage to kick on from 2004 and it will be interesting to see if City can build the lasting success that United did in the Ferguson era.
    This is what I remember before pizzagate...
    If you look back at that game (Man U v Arsenal) the Nevile brothers, Giggs and Scholes admitted they kicked Reyes off the park, only the Nevile brothers got a yellow card each.
    Ruud Van Nistelrooy should have been sent off (the FA banned him for 3 games afterwards) for a studs up tackle on Ashley Cole, the game was 0-0 when Rooney dived for a penalty, old mother Mike Reily gave the penalty and Ruud Van Nistelrooy scored that penalty, Arsenal then threw more bodies forward and Man U scored to make it 2-0.
    Arsenal were 8 points ahead of Chelsea before that game and wasn't the same after that game, they were very inconsistent (7 wins in 14 games) until Man U came to Highbury and beat them fairly 4-2. Arsenal then went on a 9 game unbeaten run 7 wins, 2 draws and a final day loss with a weaken team as they were facing Man U in the FA Cup final the following week.
    Chelsea did not beat Arsenal in their 2 league games but finished champions, Arsenal finished 2nd with a 12 point gap, P.Vieira (the captain) left after the FA cup final.
    Even though project youth was the then current and future agenda, Arsenal managed to reached the Champions league final the following year and sneaked into 4th place in the league thanks to Lasagne gate, that was the end of the best 10 years of Arsenal and Wenger as they had to pay off the loan for the Emirates stadium in which the were moving into for the 2006/07 season.

Everyone remembers lasagne gate, even though it turned out to be nothing to do with lasagne!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Foxy100 View Post

you won’t hear any argument from me!

Good luck v Fulham... always one of my favourite games of the season, the play off final...

I remember going nuts v Palace when Claridge scored...