closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: New conservatory roof cracking internally

New conservatory roof cracking internally

Hi all

We recently had a new conservatory roof installed, approximately 2 months ago. It was a complete refit, the whole existing roof and frame off, a new timber frame cut and fitted on site, triple insulated etc... building regs, no longer a conservatory but a completely usable extension... happy days.

We were advised to wait 2 weeks to ensure all the plaster was dry and then we would be good to decorate.

We used a watered paint mix for the first coat and followed all the rules as advised. I have to say that up until this point I couldn’t have been happier, we fitted the new blinds and sat back and relaxed.

There are now three good sized cracks to the far end of the roof internally on the new plaster, I have posted pictures below to give an idea of size and location of the cracks.

I am pretty sure this may just be structural movement, expansion, ‘settlement’ as with a new build etc...

I am particularly miffed and concerned as there was no mention that this could happen and wouldn’t have cracked on with the finishing had I known and now have no idea how long I should wait to have it put right if it may suffer from more ‘settlement’

But... my question is this, should I be concerned that it could be anything more sinister than this?

I have the surveyor coming out a week Friday and want to be sure that I cover all bases and ask any pertinent questions

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Master
    We had a few of these on our new build. Never got any worse than those in your photos. Filled in after a few months, and paint touched up. Never came back.

Having a professional cast his eye over it is a good idea though, to be safe.

It could be a combination with your timber roof, rafters drying out a bit sharpish (depending if you're south facing ?) and/or a not brilliant plaster-boarding job which has with the possibility of the above manifested thus...

Master
    My general rule of thumb is it’s only time to worry if you can fit a pound coin in the gap. Leave it for six months (more if you can) before filling and redecorating. If you repair them too soon you’ll be forever re-doing them.

It’s a timber frame and will keep moving for at least 6 months ,leave it until at least this before filling and repainting

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the replies all... as I suspected hopefully

I just wish they would have advised that this could happen and it would have prevented a lot of angst for Mrs C!

What’s the ceiling construction? I read it a couple of times and I don’t think you say. Plaster over plasterboard?

Quote Originally Posted by catch21 View Post
    What’s the ceiling construction? I read it a couple of times and I don’t think you say. Plaster over plasterboard?
    It’s a timber frame, triple insulated, plaster board, then plastered.

Master
    It looks completely normal, just plaster drying

New conservatory roof cracking internally

What did your structural engineer advise about the extra roof load on the foundations?

Conservatories can have shallow foundations, and ours has moved about an inch from the wall due to settlement. And that’s with a lightweight polycarbonate roof.

Did you check your foundations were up to the extra roof loads. The foundation should be 1 metre deep.

Our is being demolished for an extension next month. Proper job though with new 600x1000mm concrete foundations.

We were assured before work and during whilst the work was being carried out that everything was ok, the building inspectors were happy prior, during and after and all building regs issued, all load bearing / foundation concerns were confirmed as ok

Master
    Blog Entries
    Always going to be a certain amount of movement till its fully dry. As said leave it six months then fill and repaint, if it keeps cracking after that then its down to the timber framing and plaster border.

Master
    That looks to be so straight that it could well be along a seam between two plasterboards. That's the line of least resistance if there has been a little movement and nothing to worry about. Wait for it to stop moving then make good.

I feel a lot better about this now... thanks all

Makes complete sense and has calmed my sense of impending doom!