closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Rolex Availability

Master

Rolex Availability

I am in Vienna at this moment in time and have been gawping at the hundreds of Rolex for sale in the many shops that have an agency. This is a place in which every top brand is sold and often with several shops selling the same "exclusive" product in the same street.

I looked into 5 shops selling new Rolex and the windows were full of the usual TT and YG stuff in the hundreds, but not one single SS Submariner or GMT was on sale.

There was just one 39mm Explorer, one polar Explorer11 and a few Yacht Masters looking forlorn in the hundreds of Datejusts on display.

There were quite a few well stocked Patek windows with the usual traditional perpetual calendar models but not a single Nautilus type model to be seen.

Funny games are definitely going on here.

Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
    I am in Vienna at this moment in time and have been gawping at the hundreds of Rolex for sale in the many shops that have an agency. This is a place in which every top brand is sold and often with several shops selling the same "exclusive" product in the same street.

I looked into 5 shops selling new Rolex and the windows were full of the usual TT and YG stuff in the hundreds, but not one single SS Submariner or GMT was on sale.

There was just one 39mm Explorer, one polar Explorer11 and a few Yacht Masters looking forlorn in the hundreds of Datejusts on display.

There were quite a few well stocked Patek windows with the usual traditional perpetual calendar models but not a single Nautilus type model to be seen.

Funny games are definitely going on here.
    You have been a member of these forums for over 4 years. Did you really not know that there is a severe shortage of SS Rolex sports watches in AD's? In fact it seems as though every day there is a new thread on the matter.

There are available but not on display

Just 'get on the list' .... you know, 'the list', with 'your dealer' surely you have your own 'dealer' .... ;-)

Master
    Last edited by cmcm3; 16th May 2018 at 16:21.

Master
    Calm down dears

I know there is a shortage, you know there is a shortage but some people still think there isn't, just look at the Rolex forum. I was just adding to the fuel, but I admit I wish I hadn't, so will shut up.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Did you take the Explorer II or zenith Daytona for your trip?

I think a lot of the Rolex availability posts here are understandably UK centric as this is a mostly UK forum with small international input .

But the steel Rolex short supply is not just a UK phenomenon linked to £ exchange rate , list price variations or the like .

So if the production of steel models is constant is the supply heading into other markets- it certainly has not come to the Caribbean.

I was told that Rolex are so annoyed with people purchasing time pieces out of market, (Asians coming to the UK and buying up Rolex sports models) that they have decided to restrict the European markets significantly in order to stop this happening. Apparently the Asian markets will continue to get their normal supply to re-engage that market. As I say just what I have heard. I was also told that they would ramp production of the Sky-Dweller as that is seen as a core model along with the Datejust range etc. And they have no desire to keep supply of those models restricted.

Quote Originally Posted by sandman View Post
    You have been a member of these forums for over 4 years. Did you really not know that there is a severe shortage of SS Rolex sports watches in AD's? In fact it seems as though every day there is a new thread on the matter.

But plenty of folk state that the shortage is due to the weak pound, and there are plenty in the dealers in continental Europe.

Did you really not know that?

Seems like a simple method to create buzz and increase prices at the same time. Very disappointing though!

Quote Originally Posted by langdalematt View Post
    I was also told that they would ramp production of the Sky-Dweller as that is seen as a core model along with the Datejust range etc. And they have no desire to keep supply of those models restricted.
    Well that would be good news for a lot of people, myself included, but im not going to hold my breath.

Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post
    But plenty of folk state that the shortage is due to the weak pound, and there are plenty in the dealers in continental Europe.

Quite agree.

I don't think the OP should be lambasted, as one or two seem to suggest, for having the impertinence to provide a slightly different and useful example of how the SS Sports situation is not confined to the UK.

I was told that Rolex are so annoyed with people purchasing time pieces out of market, (Asians coming to the UK and buying up Rolex sports models) that they have decided to restrict the European markets significantly in order to stop this happening. Apparently the Asian markets will continue to get their normal supply to re-engage that market. As I say just what I have heard. I was also told that they would ramp production of the Sky-Dweller as that is seen as a core model along with the Datejust range etc. And they have no desire to keep supply of those models restricted.
    Has anyone else heard this? I have contacted some ADS in Asia and has no like with SS models. I've also asked UK dealers about Skydweller waiting lists and have always been quoted 2-5 years!

Master

File under "another stab in the dark about Professional Rolex shortage".

Craftsman
    I’ve recently been to Jamaica and Italy (inc Capri) and there were no SS Sport Rolex in those AD’s. Fancied my chances as well. Anyone own a Capri Watch?
    Last edited by anz3001; 16th May 2018 at 20:21.

Master
    Yawn again

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Mick, other than to say you are in Vienna, this is a nonsense post.👍

Do these foreign dealers keep the cards, take the stickers etc. etc.?

If the steel sports Rolex is not available has anyone considered well, just buying something else?

Craftsman
    Absolutely.

Master
    You’d be far better off sticking to some sachertorte.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Do these foreign dealers keep the cards, take the stickers etc. etc.?
    And if they do or don’t.....tell me what size box they give you? L/M or weeny?

I am living in Beijing and regularly travelling around other cities in China and usually pop into the Rolex stores and it seems to be the same situation as Europe, hardly any SS models just the occasional Explorer II or Yachtmaster. I will let you know if this situation changes!

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Thanks for the heads up mick.

Quote Originally Posted by JoePattinson View Post
    I am living in Beijing and regularly travelling around other cities in China and usually pop into the Rolex stores and it seems to be the same situation as Europe, hardly any SS models just the occasional Explorer II or Yachtmaster.
    Similar to Bangkok really in my experience. Last time I kept a (retained) record at the end of March, in one Rolex boutique here, I saw 3 Daytona's (not SS), 3 SS Yachtmasters and a black and white Explorer. However, on an earlier visit this year, I did see both Black and white SS Daytonas on display in the store side by side and on later visits I have seen both yachtmasters and explorers. I'm not really a Rolex fan, just check to compare with the UK. On one of those later visits I did see a SM or SD being tried on by a 'farang'.

Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post

Your questioning if I know something that isn't true. The shortage of these watches has absolutely nothing to do with the weak pound. There is a worldwide shortage of these watches.

Journeyman
    as a new member my apologies if this has been said before

there is a worldwide shortage of SS 'sports' watches - end of story

i spoke to my AD earlier this week and my LVC is in this months allocation - been waiting over a year despite being what some would call a VIP customer

also on the list for a white Daytona

apparently Rolex are working three shifts per day to try and improve availability

'stickers' will be removed as per Rolex UK instructions, but i will get warranty card (Rolex UK have no official position regarding warranty cards, but tell AD's that they must do their utmost to stop watches entering the grey market)

btw i was banned some time ago from TRF for daring to tell the Americans that they do not rule the world and dictate business terms to Rolex - mind you they also did not like me for saying Range Rovers were better than US 'trucks' - lol!
    Last edited by nick h; 17th May 2018 at 12:12.

Master
    No AD waiting list or warranty card being withheld here....

Quote Originally Posted by deepreddave View Post
    No AD waiting list or warranty card being withheld here....

Where? And what are you buying? Ask for a SS Daytona, Hulk or a Pepsi GMT and see what they say.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by sandman View Post
    Where? And what are you buying? Ask for a SS Daytona, Hulk or a Pepsi GMT and see what they say.
    face the facts

you will not get the in demand SS watches unless you have a 'relationship' with an AD - yes, that is hard to hear but is a fact of life

how to get a 'relationship' with an AD?

there are no hard and fast rules but if you buy less in demand watches it certainly helps and some AD's who are also jewellers see jewellery purchases as part of the overall scheme?

if you only ever go into your AD to try and buy in demand SS watches you are going nowhere in the lists

many on forums such as TRF say lists do not exist in the real world and money gets you what you want (typical Yank attitude) - lists are very, very real

what Ad's in the UK want is for watches to go to people who will keep/enjoy the watches

the 'grey' market dealers are like vultures/parasites preying on the vulnerable - they do not work on a level 'playing field' in that they can legally sell a watch over the Rolex MRRP

maybe Rolex could turn the tables and for a time remove the MMRP and allow dealers to sell watches at the 'market price' - this would kill the greys overnight

so at Hulk at say £9.5K

ceramic Daytona at £18K

the watches would sell at those prices in the Uk

Quote Originally Posted by nick h View Post
    face the facts

you will not get the in demand SS watches unless you have a 'relationship' with an AD - yes, that is hard to hear but is a fact of life

there are no hard and fast rules but if you buy less in demand watches it certainly helps and some AD's who are also jewellers see jewellery purchases as part of the overall scheme?

if you only ever go into your AD to try and buy in demand SS watches you are going nowhere in the lists

many on forums such as TRF say lists do not exist in the real world and money gets you what you want (typical Yank attitude) - lists are very, very real

what Ad's in the UK want is for watches to go to people who will keep/enjoy the watches

the 'grey' market dealers are like vultures/parasites preying on the vulnerable - they do not work on a level 'playing field' in that they can legally sell a watch over the Rolex MRRP

maybe Rolex could turn the tables and for a time remove the MMRP and allow dealers to sell watches at the 'market price' - this would kill the greys overnight

so at Hulk at say £9.5K

ceramic Daytona at £18K

What you seem to be saying is that no-one can buy a Sub as their one luxury watch purchase - reaching a significant birthday or treating themselves following a good year or bonus? Subs will only be sold to people who buy a lot from a particular AD, i.e. collectors or flippers?

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by JoePattinson View Post
    I am living in Beijing and regularly travelling around other cities in China and usually pop into the Rolex stores and it seems to be the same situation as Europe, hardly any SS models just the occasional Explorer II or Yachtmaster. I will let you know if this situation changes!

nomally in china , you need buy another gold model to qualify for a ss model, that's the story

Quote Originally Posted by xiaogouju View Post
    nomally in china , you need buy another gold model to qualify for a ss model, that's the story
    Yup exactly, similar to the UK. I was just trying to make the point, in response to an earlier post, that the Rolex dealers here in Asia are not drowning in SS models

face the facts

so at Hulk at say £9.5K

ceramic Daytona at £18K

Great, so with your plan I would never have been able to afford my Sub at an AD, as the price increase pushed the opportunity ever further away from people like me who don't earn a fortune. A rather elitist solution. Yes it kills the greys but also destroys any hope of purchasing at today's prices.

Master
    Sounds entirely logical as long as you don't stop to actually think about it..! :D

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Steelgecko View Post
    Great, so with your plan I would never have been able to afford my Sub at an AD, as the price increase pushed the opportunity ever further away from people like me who don't earn a fortune. A rather elitist solution. Yes it kills the greys but also destroys any hope of purchasing at today's prices.
    But surely if that's true, the RRP should go up in any case? Most businesses base their prices on what the goods will sell for (why wouldn't they?) so Rolex is being pretty unique if it is selling watches that people will pay (say) £10,000 for at just (say) £7,000.

Master
    I think the big question is, what's changed? Has demand really gone up that much or is Rolex making less sports watches? (In which case, why?)

Quote Originally Posted by Ari View Post
    I think the big question is, what's changed? Has demand really gone up that much or is Rolex making less sports watches? (In which case, why?)
    Because they want to sell more of the precious metal models which give them a bigger profit?
    They don't want every tom, dick and harry wearing a Rolex for fear of diluting the brand image (like what happened to Burberry in the past - short term gain but long term loss)?

These are guesses based on nothing but my own thinking.

lists, no lists
    exchange rates
    brexit
    relationship with AD

we are all bored with it.

Rolex philosophy = customers really want something when you tell them you cannot have it. Result = increased interest in brand / they sell other models / maintain the Veblen cycle

General Economy - historically very low interest rates for 20 years. People with money want to park it elsewhere .... watches being one of Classic Cars / wine / art etc. So more people (non WIS) take an interest

WIS - I think the internet has fuelled number of WIS around. Suspect 20 years ago the average Submariner owner was a one watch guy. Now we have multiple watches from same brands adding to the demand

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Christ, you make it sound like sports Rolex buyers need to be allocated a social worker and support group. A touch dramatic even by Joan Crawford standards.

Not sure what the issue is. If you want a specific watch, Ceramic Daytona, Red SD, etc then go on Chrono 24 and search.

I am sure you will find one, albeit at an inflated price.

So the problem is not availability. The problem is being able to buy one at MRP, but if people really want one they just have to suck it up.

If people want one at MRP, to either keep or flip for a quick profit, then you need either luck or considerable patience.

The same goes for Porsche GT and RS models and even stuff like Supreme Hoodies, Hermes Handbags, etc.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Master
    the 'grey' market dealers are like vultures/parasites preying on the vulnerable
    That's definitely not an absurd statement.

Grey dealers sell useless trinkets to rich guys who can't stand not being able to get their newest toy.

Master
    face the facts

so at Hulk at say £9.5K

ceramic Daytona at £18K

From "my" AD, ie the only one in NI, I had never bought anything until I got my d blue DSSD. Then my BLNR. Then my SD50. No jewellery or other watches purchased.

Master
    Went into Watches of Switzerland and Mappin & Webb in Regents St. today, neither having any subs at all. If Rolex want to reduce supply to maintain exclusivity good luck to them. I’ve lost interest and will just keep my DJ and my dosh.

Quote Originally Posted by dandanthewatchman View Post
    lists, no lists
    exchange rates
    brexit
    relationship with AD

we are all bored with it.

Rolex philosophy = customers really want something when you tell them you cannot have it. Result = increased interest in brand / they sell other models / maintain the Veblen cycle

General Economy - historically very low interest rates for 20 years. People with money want to park it elsewhere .... watches being one of Classic Cars / wine / art etc. So more people (non WIS) take an interest

WIS - I think the internet has fuelled number of WIS around. Suspect 20 years ago the average Submariner owner was a one watch guy. Now we have multiple watches from same brands adding to the demand
    This feels spot on to me.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by thestore View Post
    This feels spot on to me.
    Don't forget the widely held feeling that a Rolex purchased at any price, no matter how much above "market", will eventually pay off as a great investment. There are so many stories of vintage people buying top quality watches at a 30% premium to market and then making 300% returns on their investment over a couple years. That feeling seems to have trickled down from DRSDs and hand wound Daytonas to more mundaine references. People seem to think that's going to be the norm forever. I don't agree, but we will see.

Master
    Imagine the threads and complaints if Rolex increase production of SS Sports and anyone can buy whatever they want by walking in a shop:

‘I bought my Daytona at an AD for 9k but WF only offered me 2.5k’
    ‘My 7 Rolexes were my retirement fund but they are only worth a third of what I paid’
    ‘I was told Rolex was a guaranteed investment and now I need to sell I to fund my poodle through canine college and was told it’s not worth 2k when I paid 5k and was hoping for 8k’
    ‘You’re all liars’

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Devonian View Post
    Imagine the threads and complaints if Rolex increase production of SS Sports and anyone can buy whatever they want by walking in a shop:

‘I bought my Daytona at an AD for 9k but WF only offered me 2.5k’
    ‘My 7 Rolexes were my retirement fund but they are only worth a third of what I paid’
    ‘I was told Rolex was a guaranteed investment and now I need to sell I to fund my poodle through canine college and was told it’s not worth 2k when I paid 5k and was hoping for 8k’
    ‘You’re all liars’
    I'd be happy to see it. My collection has probably increased in value somewhere between 200% and 300% over the last ten years or so. That has done two things:
    (1) increase the cost to insure them
    (2) make adding new watches to my collection much much more expensive

Neither is good for me as a collector/wearer.

Master
    You state this like a universal truth but that isn’t the case everywhere. I bought a GMT, then a Sub and currently awaiting Pepsi GMT from the same AD. All SS and ‘waiting list’ watches. No other purchase history with them.