timefactors watches
Results 1 to 19 of 19

Thread: England Squad. OPTIMISTIC thread.

  1. #1
    Craftsman woodacre1983's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    Preston
    Posts
    587

    England Squad. OPTIMISTIC thread.

    Ok guys heard and looked at the squad. And Iím pleased. Not saying we are gonna win it and the like. But looked at it and for once I can see a manager that has picked on form rather than this name has to be here.

    So guys on the squad we have as well as the stand by players letís have an optimistic viewpoint!!




    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  2. #2
    Craftsman ordo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    Europe
    Posts
    778
    ENGLAND WILL WIN THE WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP!!!

    WOW! IS THIS WHAT OPTIMISM FEELS LIKE! YEAH!!!!

    Am I doing it right ?

  3. #3
    Master MakeColdplayHistory's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    3,636
    Can it just be over quickly please?
    Then things can get back to normal.

    (Premier League fixtures released June 14th with first matches Aug 11th)

  4. #4
    Master Wolfie's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Leicester
    Posts
    4,668
    Blog Entries
    1
    Iím omptomistic that the two LCFC lads wonít be over tired or overwhelmed by the occasion as they wonít be selected above inferior options

  5. #5
    Master thegoat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Manchester
    Posts
    1,566
    Fly Goalie
    Back two of Walker and Stones
    Delph on his own in midfield and Razzer solo, banging them in up top.
    That should get us to the semis .

  6. #6
    Master luckywatch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Shrewsbury England
    Posts
    1,646
    I'm always optimistic.


  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by MakeColdplayHistory View Post
    Can it just be over quickly please?
    Then things can get back to normal.

    (Premier League fixtures released June 14th with first matches Aug 11th)
    Ideally past the group stages so we can watch some decent games in the pub.

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfie View Post
    Iím omptomistic that the two LCFC lads wonít be over tired or overwhelmed by the occasion as they wonít be selected above inferior options
    There was a lot of talk on this on talksport regarding having one striker or two. The general opinion being that it should be Kane with Vardy as a sub. That being the case its hard not to pick Kane as first choice considering his goal scoring this season though I suppose it all depends on what formation England play in.

    The other main topic driving into work today was predictions from the group stages, win one draw one lose one was the consensus.

  9. #9
    Master Wolfie's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Leicester
    Posts
    4,668
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by robert75 View Post
    There was a lot of talk on this on talksport regarding having one striker or two. The general opinion being that it should be Kane with Vardy as a sub. That being the case its hard not to pick Kane as first choice considering his goal scoring this season though I suppose it all depends on what formation England play in.

    The other main topic driving into work today was predictions from the group stages, win one draw one lose one was the consensus.
    Vardy has always done well for England, but, I even I wouldnít suggest he should be ahead of Kane..!

    Theyíll play one striker and Vardy for impact...

  10. #10
    Personally I think its impossible to predict where England will finish I don't think its lack of quality players when you look at the players we have they all put a shift in for their teams I have always felt it may be more simply a lack of togetherness really working as a team and a real pride in playing for England. You look at countries from Portugal to Argentina and there seems to be a real pride in playing for their country. Say what you will about Ronaldo but he does seem to put a real shift in when he puts on his national colours and players who may otherwise be mid table players play with a togetherness that stronger teams may not have, bit like a Burnley on an international stage.

    The only thing that does concern me is we always seem to have one player who has a head wobble in major tournaments and Dele Alli seems to be one who is partial to letting the red mist take over.

  11. #11
    Craftsman woodacre1983's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    Preston
    Posts
    587
    Quote Originally Posted by robert75 View Post
    There was a lot of talk on this on talksport regarding having one striker or two. The general opinion being that it should be Kane with Vardy as a sub. That being the case its hard not to pick Kane as first choice considering his goal scoring this season though I suppose it all depends on what formation England play in.

    The other main topic driving into work today was predictions from the group stages, win one draw one lose one was the consensus.
    See, Iíd start with Kane against Panama and Tunisia but come the Belgium game where we are less likely to see as much of the ball and likely to be more on the counter attack I would be tempted to start Vardy. As his pace is more likely to get in behind. Iíd play the horses for courses game there and Vardy is more suited to a counter attacking game.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  12. #12
    Apprentice
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Location
    London
    Posts
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by woodacre1983 View Post
    Ok guys heard and looked at the squad. And Iím pleased. Not saying we are gonna win it and the like. But looked at it and for once I can see a manager that has picked on form rather than this name has to be here.

    So guys on the squad we have as well as the stand by players letís have an optimistic viewpoint!!
    Totally agree! I think it's great that we are picking players who are in form - it makes a refreshing change. However, even with my optimistic hat on ... getting out of our group is an achievement. This squad is noticeably weaker than the 'golden balls' generation and they could only manage the quarters at their very best!

  13. #13
    Craftsman woodacre1983's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    Preston
    Posts
    587
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnGeorge View Post
    Totally agree! I think it's great that we are picking players who are in form - it makes a refreshing change. However, even with my optimistic hat on ... getting out of our group is an achievement. This squad is noticeably weaker than the 'golden balls' generation and they could only manage the quarters at their very best!
    I honestly believe the quarters is the best and yet worst we should expect. Even this weaker generation is more than capable of beating Tunisia and panama. And the last 16 is more than beatable...


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  14. #14
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Leeds, West Yorkshire, UK
    Posts
    734
    Been playing around with predictor websites and no matter which way you cut the scores and results we are more than likely to meet Portugal or Germany at Quarters (the 2 that normally knock us out), the other of that pair in Semi's and if we by some miracle do a Greece (I know that was Euro's) and get to the final then it would be Argentina/Brazil from the other side of the draw.

    I'm postive about getting to Quarters....

  15. #15
    Master
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Herts
    Posts
    1,106
    The quarters is doable I think. Then the draw gives us teams we normally lose against in tournaments.

  16. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by woodacre1983 View Post
    I honestly believe the quarters is the best and yet worst we should expect. Even this weaker generation is more than capable of beating Tunisia and panama. And the last 16 is more than beatable...


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    On the radio they were saying we should beat Tunisia and draw against Panama as they are the big unknown, what worries me is we tend to do badly against teams we are "Supposed to beat" I mean does anyone know anything about either of those two teams? I honestly think we will do better against Belgium a team many "expect" us to lose against but in reality, at least our players know a fair few of them and know what they are up against.

  17. #17
    Master amnesia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Peterborough
    Posts
    2,212
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by woodacre1983 View Post
    Ok guys heard and looked at the squad. And Iím pleased. Not saying we are gonna win it and the like. But looked at it and for once I can see a manager that has picked on form rather than this name has to be here.

    So guys on the squad we have as well as the stand by players letís have an optimistic viewpoint!!




    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

    Agreed ! Well done Mr Southgate.

    On the plus side, the roads in Peterborough will be quiet whilst the Poland matches are on and I can get some miles in on my pushbike

  18. #18
    This tournament will see Loftus-Cheek emerge as the new Gazza, a la Italia Ď90.

    Thatís me being optimistic.

  19. #19
    Master Wolfie's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Leicester
    Posts
    4,668
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by j0hnbarker View Post
    This tournament will see Loftus-Cheek emerge as the new Gazza, a la Italia Ď90.

    Thatís me being optimistic.
    Its you being somethingÖ. Optimistic was not the first word that sprung to mind!!!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •