closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Avro Lancaster flying over Derwent dam tomorrow

Master
    Blog Entries

Avro Lancaster flying over Derwent dam tomorrow

Anyone going to watch this? Its to mark 75 years anniversary of the dam busters. I've only just heard and contemplating going. I went a few years back when the Lancaster from Canada was over here. They both done a fly over straight down the Derwent lake right over the dam. The sound of them rolls Royce engines reverberating off the hills was awesome, and the plane itself a sight to behold.
    A word of warning, the place will be rammed. I parked a few miles away and took my bike.
    Last edited by sprite1275; 15th May 2018 at 12:48.

Quote Originally Posted by sprite1275 View Post
    I parked a few miles away and took my bike.
    That was my plan too - park near Edale and go Jaggers/Hagg/Lockerbrook - but something's come up at work that I can't move.

I remember a low flyby at a Grantham model air show some years ago, Lancaster, Spitfire and Hurricane together. Outstanding.

75th anniversary I'm tempted to go as it's a couple of hours from where I am now...

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve748 View Post
    75th anniversary I'm tempted to go as it's a couple of hours from where I am now...
    If you can get there Its a lovely sight to behold and quite moving. I have this print at the top of my stairs which is signed by Sgt R E Grayston who was a navigator on the first wave of bombers, aircraft AJ-N ED912/G. Can be seen here with all the info you need about the dam busters http://www.dambusters.org.uk/the-dam-raids/the-crews/

It was quite remarkable when i watched it last time to think he was doing practice runs in 1943 in the same place albeit a lot lower.

If you can get there climb up the hill on the left of the picture for a great view.

Quote Originally Posted by sprite1275 View Post
    If you can get there Its a lovely sight to behold and quite moving.
    I missed the last planned one too although a couple of mates of mine MTBed in for it.
    I have seen an unannounced one though. It was a good few years ago - again I was MTBing in the Derwent Valley and heard the distinctive sound, looked up and there was a Lancaster and a Dakota coming down the valley over the reservoirs. As far as I know it wasn't a planned event and there weren't many people there. I reckon they were just heading from somewhere to somewhere and had the chance to plan a route that included a pass.

If any of you go to this, I'm sure the rest of us would appreciate lots of pics and perhaps a video.

Thanks.
    Although no trees were harmed during the creation of this post, a large number of electrons were greatly inconvenienced.

Grand Master
    Unfortunately I`ve got to be at home tomorrow for a furniture delivery, otherwise I`d go to see this. Combined with a few miles walking it would be a good day out, and I`d miss the traffic on my route.

Paul

Not sure if this link will work but it's looking like predicted wind speed will prevent this.

https://scontent-lht6-1.xx.fbcdn.net...b0&oe=5B896EB4

Anyone with plans tomorrow would be well advised to check before travelling.

https://www.raf.mod.uk/display-teams...l-flight/news/
    http://www.peakdistrict.gov.uk/visit...versary-flight
    https://www.derbyshire.gov.uk/leisur...al-flight.aspx

Master
    It will be rammed out with folk,

Goto the Huddersfield side of the dam turn off and there is a side road into a outward bound,naughty kids place from it is on your left coming downhill. park there and a 30 minute brisk hike along the public footpath will put you on the beach, after a couple of fences just about where the lancaster will turn and drop into the vallley, the dam will be on your right and near enough for a good shot as she passes over,framed by the dam towers.
    I stood in this spot when she did this with vera . All hats off for the flypast.

I saw the UK's only flying one a few years back, I was minding my own business driving along (on a sunny evening, in a convertible with the roof down) when it flew overhead, not that high. A glorious noise, all of a sudden I was overcome with the urge to go and drop one on Jerry..

Cheers,

Plug

Master
    The BBMF have said due to the wind being forecasted to be out of limits it will probably not go ahead tomorrow. Keep an eye on there twitter page for any updates.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    I’m hoping it will fly just past my office window at Hathersage Station Approach.

From the BBMF:

[IMG][/IMG]

Master
    Blog Entries
    Shame. Does anyone know what the actual route is?

Master
    Blog Entries
    Gutting the lanc couldn't make it today especially with all the great weather lately. I guessed the typoon made it as it just passed really low over where i am in south derbyshire around 12.40. RIP to all involved in operation chastise.

Master
    They initially said the Typhoon was cancelled too so everybody set off home but it came anyway but it was so far away from me we thought it was just one of the normal fighters who train low level pursuits here.
    Lots of very disappointed people and not sure where the wind was so high that it caused the cancellation but certainly not here.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by SeePee View Post
    They initially said the Typhoon was cancelled too so everybody set off home but it came anyway but it was so far away from me we thought it was just one of the normal fighters who train low level pursuits here.
    Lots of very disappointed people and not sure where the wind was so high that it caused the cancellation but certainly not here.
    Good on the RAF for putting on some sort of show though.

Master
    I thought I was seeing a ghost this morning on my way into work but my work neighbor on a balcony next door confirmed that yes the Lancaster flew down the Hope Valley this morning just after 8.30.

This turned into a bit of a cluster **** due to weather (wind) and poor communication of both intent and events as they unfolded.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    It was doing circuits around Peterborough last weekend... I ran out to take photos but it disappeared behind the rooflines before I could get my act together.

Master
    There are some good photos of the Typhoon at www.buxtonweather.co.uk

Lancaster flew over Baslow (Peak District) at about 0845 this morning.