TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dipstick biker

Master

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by PickleB View Post
    Maybe:

Ok, looks like it then.

It does say discontinued though so we just need to ascertain that date and piece together a likely purchase date then we can get stuck in to the sell by date and find out if that visor is legal...

Master
    I can't believe that someone on the internet is wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by jameswrx View Post
    Ok, looks like it then.

It does say discontinued though so we just need to ascertain that date and piece together a likely purchase date then we can get stuck in to the sell by date and find out if that visor is legal...

Going by the customer reviews...2010 or sometime after, for that helmet.

Quote Originally Posted by K300 View Post
    I think this is the key to part of this discussion, video evidence just stops any arguments.

Here you go.

And in this image you can see that he did move his head away a fraction of a second before it collided with anything, obviously no time to correct his line or lean.

Anyway nobody died that day.....or maybe they did down the road.
    From those pics, it might just be perspective, but your car looks far too close to the white line to me. Are you sure your mirror wasn’t over the line? ;)

In my experience car drivers are a lot less aware of their road position that bikes. Also, if he was travelling much less than 120mph I’d suspect that he had quite adequate time and ability to change his line at will.
    Last edited by Omegamanic; 17th May 2018 at 18:19.
    It's just a matter of time...

And on the question of safety, I can't understand why there are laws governing chips in windscreen's fields of view yet you can stick a great big black device there - a motorcycle could easily be obscured. I guess one person's idea of safe practice is different to another.

Quote Originally Posted by daggartuk View Post
    And on the question of safety, I can't understand why there are laws governing chips in windscreen's fields of view yet you can stick a great big black device there - a motorcycle could easily be obscured. I guess one person's idea of safe practice is different to another.
    I believe that there are laws covering where dash cams can be located. The one in the pictures is (I believe but stand to be corrected) illegally positioned.

Riding style is pants....but fair do's for having a crack...
    Needs to drop that right elbow, move forward, get way (swidt?) more body weight over that front end, arse off seat, slide over, right bum cheek off....drop that right knee and ...skrisshhhhhhhhh..... slider touches down....

Let the biker who has never done anything stupid cast the first stone....

Quote Originally Posted by aa388 View Post
    We should now discuss that his helmet is past the recommendation a of changing them every 5 years. But from the image i can’t quite see the build date on the strap but a Doohan rep is at least ancient.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app
    Well that's me guilty M'lord.

A BMW system 4 that's at least 13 years old, plus an open face Momo that could be even older. :D.

Craftsman
    Riding always seems worse from others perspective. When you're riding that sort of thing seems perfectly normal and safe. In the second pic he looks like he's clocked the car big time and is riding to it's position.

If you rode to the fact there could be a hazard around any bend you'd be riding at 20mph everywhere. You can of course reduce the risk by riding smarter lines but it will never be eliminated.

So what if he injures himself not wearing protective gear? Firstly he's the one who will have to deal with the pain and secondly why should anyone else care? Before seatbelt laws came in people weren't going around moaning that other weren't wearing their seatbelts. It was just as normal not too even though the risks were obvious.

Clearly a few pictures don't tell the whole story but I'm suggesting anyone who feels strongly about this sort of thing doesn't go to Rome or similar places on holiday as believe me this seems mild compared to them guys (and girls) on their daily commute.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    I believe that there are laws covering where dash cams can be located. The one in the pictures is (I believe but stand to be corrected) illegally positioned.
    It would certainly fail an MOT, unless the tester was willing to remove it. Same could be said for an air fresher hanging from the interior mirror though.

All bikers say it’s the drivers. Few seem to be willing to accept that they take silly risks and don’t account for the fact that many non-bikers simply can’t comprehend the outright speed or level of acceleration a bike can achieve.

Yesterday I was doing my usual commute, a biker went straight down the middle of two merging lanes, at what seemed to be about 30mph, cars travelling about 5-10mph. The immediate thought was that the guy was putting himself in a silly position. Bikers bring a lot on themselves.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by anz3001 View Post
    Bikers bring a lot on themselves.
    Absolutely true there is no denying it bikes are dangerous and I'd say the majority of accidents are self inflicted. However, when you're riding down a road in broad daylight at a sensible speed with your headlight on and a car pulls out right in front of you, you do have to wonder how f-ing thick the person is behind the wheel of a 2 ton piece of metal, and it happens more regularly than you would ever think possible.

Quote Originally Posted by steptoe View Post
    Well that's me guilty M'lord.

A BMW system 4 that's at least 13 years old, plus an open face Momo that could be even older. :D.
    I have several helmets well past their 'sell buy' dates.
    Whereas I appreciate that some plastics and foams degenerate over time, there are loads of old helmets that are good to after much longer periods. Pull it to bits, check everything out, lining, compression zones and straps...then make the call.
    Also a load of rubbish talked about helmets ALWAYS being u/s after a small drop.

Quote Originally Posted by anz3001 View Post
    Yesterday I was doing my usual commute, a biker went straight down the middle of two merging lanes, at what seemed to be about 30mph, cars travelling about 5-10mph. The immediate thought was that the guy was putting himself in a silly position. Bikers bring a lot on themselves.
    At least you are showing an awareness of potential risk - many drivers would be oblivious and inadvertantly enable the risk to materialise.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by daggartuk View Post
    At least you are showing an awareness of potential risk - many drivers would be oblivious and inadvertantly enable the risk to materialise.
    I’m a rider too, or at least, I was until I fell off.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by spud767 View Post
    Absolutely true there is no denying it bikes are dangerous and I'd say the majority of accidents are self inflicted. However, when you're riding down a road in broad daylight at a sensible speed with your headlight on and a car pulls out right in front of you, you do have to wonder how f-ing thick the person is behind the wheel of a 2 ton piece of metal, and it happens more regularly than you would ever think possible.
    I'd also add that drivers seem to be much more aggressive towards bikes these days, often for no apparent reason.

As I ride a bike and drive a car I see it from both sides. And I often see terrible riders and drivers.

An RAC/ACU bike instructor told me many years ago (circa '76!).... "There are old riders and bold riders, but not many old bold riders." and... "Don't put your life in other drivers hands."

Two sayings that I'm sure helped me over the years.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by K300 View Post
    I'm a biker so this is not a poke at bikers who are sensible riders.
    Thanks to purchasing Wayne's dashcams last week I installed one in one of the cars and this was being used over the weekend to go and look at some Kawasaki ER6Fs. On a trip from Chorley(Lancs) to Bollington(Cheshire) the camera caught this prick. No gloves, trainers, casual jacket and jeans.
    This prick is a death waiting to happen!
    If you consider that strictly speaking I should have been more over to the crown of the road to have a better view of the limit point he is lucky I wasn't, as it was with his lean he was inches away.
    If he had caught the door mirror or banged his head on the A pillar he would probably have been dead or pretty mangled. Coincidentally the bike seems to be an ER6N.
    If you look at the speed we are doing 43kph and the distance we cover you can get an inckling of the speed he is going by the distance he covers comparatively.

This has reminded me why I need a dashcam...

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk