closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Bronze crowns?

Bronze crowns?

Both Pinion and Schofield make bronze watches with steel (?) crowns.
    It looks very odd to me.
    I did email Schofield to ask if they would make me one with a bronze crown and got a (very very polite) firm "no".

I wonder why this is the case as surely i can't be the only one who finds the difference rather discomforting?
    Last edited by Mikee; 14th May 2018 at 13:07.

I heard that bronze wasn't suitable for crowns (softness of the metal perhaps?). That said, I've seen plenty of bronze watches with bronze crowns including my own Zelos.

Don’t think bronze is soft but agree a steel one looks horrible.

Quote Originally Posted by nr73 View Post
    I heard that bronze wasn't suitable for crowns (softness of the metal perhaps?). That said, I've seen plenty of bronze watches with bronze crowns including my own Zelos.
    The reply from Schofield was that it would make the watch look "steampunk"...
    I didn't agree but that's my opinion i suppose (and hence i didn't buy one).
    I take the point that it might be a softer metal but why is that only an issue on a crown, and as you say yours has one.
    I wondered if it was just cheaper to make the one crown across the range.

If bronze was too soft you could always go way Rolex goes with gold crowns, where the crown is 2 part, one steel part that has threads is capped golden crown.

I gather that most bronze and brass watches that have matching crowns are in fact steel ones with a brass/bronze cap on them to make them match.

Craftsman
    Bronze would be fine for a crown. Non sparking tools are bronze.
    One of my watches ( http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...-(Photo-heavy) ) has a bronze crown, and a hand wind movement.
    The prototype for it ( http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...m-a-Lumeaholic ) has a brass crown.

I suspect it’s cheaper to use the off the shelf steel crown rather than make one in bronze.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Dave S View Post
    Bronze would be fine for a crown.

I suspect it’s cheaper to use the off the shelf steel crown rather than make one in bronze.

Dave
    I strongly suspect you're correct. The Steampunk reply just seemed not to ring true at all and the look is so "off" to my eye at least.

You could cast your own bronze crown, there are casters who do jewelry including one-offs too. I have a friend who does this regularly (she is a jeweler).

Craftsman
    Ok, I’m amazed. ( that’s the polite, toned down version)
    2 or 3 grand respectively for a bronze watch with an off the shelf movement and they haven’t put a bronze crown on it.
    I assume they are not screw down or anything complicated?

Dave

Some context, for the original post.

When I first launched in 2013, I could only afford one type of crown and due to timings had to opt for an off the shelf one which had the logo engraved. ( you have to start somewhere !) also, I did personally like the steel crowns used on the original Anonimo watches which was a bit of an influence as well.

Crown v1 - steel, stock, engraved

When I finally made a proper crown, the steel thing had just stuck with the look of the watches. Bronze case, steel back, silver hands, polished steel crown, it just all seemed to work ( in my eyes at least ).

Crown v2- steel, manufactured, polished

I’m currently redoing the Axis again, and this time I thought i’d Better finally make a bronze crown.....But this was partly down to an online survey I did, and most people said they wanted a bronze crown!

The hand set has also been changed to bronze coloured hands as well.

I must say on reflection, it does look a hell of a lot more natural and blends with the case nicely and I should have done it earlier, but you learn.

Pictured is the new bronze crown and the a sample crown installed on one of the older axis II models ( still waiting dial and hands!).

Crown v3, manufactured, bronze! Brushed

Crown v3 installed on older axis II model, while in wait patiently for new dial and hands....steampunked 

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikee View Post
    Both Pinion and Schofield make bronze watches with steel (?) crowns.
    It looks very odd to me.
    I did email Schofield to ask if they would make me one with a bronze crown and got a (very very polite) firm "no".

I wonder why this is the case as surely i can't be the only one who finds the difference rather discomforting?
    They'd have to buy a fairly large MOQ to make it worthwhile, so I'm not surprised they said no.

Craftsman
    Piers,
    Thanks for the background.
    Because I only make small numbers (5s or 10s at most) I often forget the difficulties of a “proper” production run.

Still IMO it does look nicer with a bronze crown :)

Dave

That, Piers, is very nice. And thank you for a full and honest reply. I'll have one of those.

Thanks for the update Piers
    I like that and look forward to seeing the finished product.

Archimede produce a version of their Deck Watch with a bronze case, and this model has a bronze crown. I have the steel version and the case is very well made, by Archimede themselves under their Ickler name. Whilst mine has the upgraded 6498-2 movement, decorated and higher beat, this bronze version has the basic movement but heat blued hands and silvered dial? I've been thinking about buying one for a while, it's good value at €1,000, IMHO. https://www.archimede-watches.com/deckwatch-a-br-lb-630.html
    F.T.F.A.