closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Daily beater watch battle - Seiko vs citizen

Banned

Daily beater watch battle - Seiko vs citizen

I’m sure this has been done before but what’s the forums general opinion on these 2 iconic models of Japanese affordable dive Watches ? How would you compare overall quality , movement comparison , strap quality of these 2 ? Prices are almost on par IMG_6010.JPG

IMG_6011.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

As an everything day to day proper beater where you can shovel, chop wood, really give no consideration to it, I’d choose a citizen eco drive. In my opinion with any automatic it can never be a true beater.

Now I wear my kemmner seahorse for any day to day thing without any thought... and it shows it... but I’ve now considered yard work a no go place for any automatic.

Perhaps my definition of beater is different than a day to day wearer.

I am not sure the Citizen is still in production anymore but I did have one a few years ago.

Citizen had a very lose bezel to the point if it so much as brushed against something it moved.

Seiko, never had such a problem felt much more sturdy all round better built.

Citizen came on a rubber divers strap I fond to be pretty awful, Seiko on a jubilee bracelet of pretty low quality.

Citizen as I remember was quite a bit cheaper than the Seiko don't know if that's still true.

Both seemed to have similar levels of accuracy.

Citizen if I remember felt lighter on the wrist than the Seiko.

Of the two the Seiko would probably be the better watch but not by much. I suppose its up to you what you consider a "beater" and what you want it for. As a holiday watch or for swimming outdoor stuff I suppose they are probably both just as good as each other.

No mention of the Orient Mako though?

The Seiko wins hands down for me, I’ve had both and the Citizen just felt cheap.

Citizen only makes eco-drive now (sad and pathetic) but you will still find that model in shops.

They're both the same but I would say that Seiko will win by a slight margin, overall.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by robert75 View Post
    I am not sure the Citizen is still in production anymore but I did have one a few years ago.

Citizen had a very lose bezel to the point if it so much as brushed against something it moved.

Seiko, never had such a problem felt much more sturdy all round better built.

Citizen came on a rubber divers strap I fond to be pretty awful, Seiko on a jubilee bracelet of pretty low quality.

Citizen as I remember was quite a bit cheaper than the Seiko don't know if that's still true.

Both seemed to have similar levels of accuracy.

Citizen if I remember felt lighter on the wrist than the Seiko.

Of the two the Seiko would probably be the better watch but not by much. I suppose its up to you what you consider a "beater" and what you want it for. As a holiday watch or for swimming outdoor stuff I suppose they are probably both just as good as each other.

No mention of the Orient Mako though?
    As suggested , how does this orient mako compare to the 2 mentioned above IMG_6012.JPG

The better comparison would be the older Orient Mako which didn't have the hack movement. In comparison I would say it was better than the Citizen on all counts the rubber strap and the bracelet were both dreadful though. The new one is even better and extremely accurate.

In short I would say Seiko - Orient - Citizen in that order for the older models.
    Last edited by robert75; 13th May 2018 at 20:48.

Having had both and sold the Seiko I preferred the Citizen for its movement and slightly smaller size, but it's as tough as hell. Great beater ☺️

I own an SKX009 and I know someone who has the Citizen. Of the two, I actually prefer the citizen. It has a lume pip at 3 o'clock which the Seiko dial omits and the applied hour markers look a little fancier. The Citizen bezel is 60 click and on his watch it's nice and tight and it lines up at the 12 position. My SKX, and all Seikos's I've owned have 120 clicks that although are evenly spaced, when you turn them every second click sounds weaker than the other - CLICK-click-CLICK-click.

In the SKX's favour - you can get any amount of spare parts for them. In fact they're probably the most easily maintained watch there is in terms of getting spares. Crystal, bezels, crowns, O-Rings, case backs, dials, hands, movements crowns.... You could probably build your own SKX using separately bought parts! Then you can get any amount of aftermarket bits if you fancy - sapphire crystal and ceramic bezel insert? No problem. If your watch is getting daily wear and abuse - the SKX can be maintained like new if you so wish.

Craftsman
    I own an SKX009 and a Citizen Eco Drive (although not that model). The eco drive cost me £40 from Argos 15 years ago and has outlasted 2 G Shocks and a Nite MX10. I’ve climbed mountains, swam in the sea, exposed it to extreme hot and cold and fired thousands of rounds whilst wearing it and it just keeps going. It is so scratched up I can barely tell the time on it but the movement and time keeping is still working perfect. I’d post a picture if I could but my phone won’t let me do it anymore.
    My 009 is a great looking watch (IMO) and it’s nice to own a classic watch. However, it loses 30 seconds a day and being an automatic severe vibrations will affect the time keeping. It’s only a couple of years old and the bezel is so stiff I can barely turn it. I take it off for some tasks, knowing that the shock could damage the movement. I’m rough on my kit but don’t like to abuse it unnecessarily! I don’t have to do that with the Citizen (or G Shocks) though. I’ll wear it until it breaks and then start the hunt for another beater.
    As someone has already said, it depends how rough you are on your watches. If you have a lifestyle which could damage an automatic watch, and don’t want to worry about it, then go with the Citizen.

This would be a tough choice me as i like both of them.
    BTW i got the citizen ny040? from amazon germany 6 months ago so have a look on there as i expect there are still 3rd party sellers with it.

Citizens have been more accurate than my entry level seikos.
    The bracelet on the citizen is a little large for my skinny wrists compared to the jubilee on the seiko.
    The bracelet is better quality on the citizen IMO.

Craftsman
    I had the full lume dial Citizen but as others have said it feels a cheaper watch compared to the Seiko.

Seiko all day long for me.

Craftsman
    I have the Citizen, it's been my beater for a couple of years now. I wear it for swimming, gardening or DIY jobs, it's never missed a beat. I prefer it to the Seiko because of the applied indices, but I don't think there's much in it. You can hand wind it unlike the Seiko. On the other hand when the rotor's spinning it does sound a bit rough. Beware, the "underpants" marker (at 12 o'clock) once seen cannot be unseen!! I wear it either on a NATO or a cheap oyster style bracelet from ebay:

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by gary1064 View Post
    I have the Citizen, it's been my beater for a couple of years now. I wear it for swimming, gardening or DIY jobs, it's never missed a beat. I prefer it to the Seiko because of the applied indices, but I don't think there's much in it. You can hand wind it unlike the Seiko. On the other hand when the rotor's spinning it does sound a bit rough. Beware, the "underpants" marker (at 12 o'clock) once seen cannot be unseen!! I wear it either on a NATO or a cheap oyster style bracelet from ebay:

That it. I was going to say seiko anyway, but after the "underpants" comment I can certainly say that I'll never own a Citizen diver. Once mentioned, can't be forgotten 🤣

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by gary1064 View Post

Best shot of the citizen I’ve ever seen . But why did you mention the underpants that’s all I can see now

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Orient Mako/Ray? That would be my preference.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by andymonkey View Post
    The Seiko wins hands down for me, I’ve had both and the Citizen just felt cheap.

I would agree with this having owned both as well. I like Citizen and left handed crowns, but not this particular model.

Quote Originally Posted by charlies View Post
    Why did you mention the underpants that’s all I can see now
    Perhaps an ideal pairing with the Seiko Sumo, sporting that naughty bikini...

Pant-tastic

Master
    I’m a big Seiko fan and own loads but I’d have the citizen.

I’m done with the 7s26! My old 6217/6309/6105’s run so much better than the 7s26’s I’ve had.

Surely it's whatever watch you have lying around that has been relegated to the role? Currently for me It's an old TAG diver quartz. Ironically this replaced an even older TAG diver when it died. (Firing Steam locomotives can do that to a watch it seems.) I'll buy a Seiko or a Citizen as my next beater and try to remember to report back on longevity in a pretty harsh environment.