closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Bit of Biking Advice Required - First Bike after DAS

Master
    I was in the same position as you, in many respects, 2 years ago. I bought a Yamaha MT07 which was what I learned to ride on. Not as tall as some of the equivalents out there, nice riding position, and a great price point too. Lovely to ride aswell.

Craftsman
    My mother hated bikes and always pleaded with me never to have one. Passed my driving test and the desire left me for a few years. Passed my bike test when I was thirty and got a Kawasaki ER5, pretty gutless in all honesty, so sold it and got a CBR 600F X. All the bike I’ll ever need in terms of speed and grin factor. Fancying something a bit more upright now though. Took a test ride on BMW F800GS and a Triumph Tiger 800 XR. Both lovely bikes, but preferred the Triumph.
    Sure you’ll enjoy the beemer though.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Congratulations on the R9T. It was probably a wise move staying away from the BMW GS’. I ride an R1200GS Adventure. I am 5’8” in my boots with a 29” inside leg, 12 1/2 stones. When it was delivered I had set the (high) seat to the lower position. I was still on tiptoes and nearly embarrassed myself when transverse on a steep hill in a car park with one tiptoe down and the other foot waving around in the air.

I bought a low seat for this beast of a bike, but even then, fully loaded: two panniers and a top box, and my relatively lightweight partner, still had me wobbling around in a 2,000 mile tour around Britain last year. There’s nothing as reassuring as being able to get both feet flat on the ground. The BMW GSA is very forgiving though with the bulk of the weight slung low down. The only big bike I have owned that was easier to ride was a Goldwing 1500. The PanEuro was just terribly top heavy and used to frighten the life out of me as the weight dropped into roundabouts. The Hayabusa was nice and neutral, 0-60 in 2.4 seconds, 0-100 in 4.2, but it looks odd with a fat bloke hanging off it.

I am now at home on the GSA, but still keep my eye out for awkward cambers. I wonder when platform shoes will be back in vogue?

I pootle around on one of these

https://www.motorcyclenews.com/bike-...aki/w650/1999/

Even with 35 years riding under my Sam Browne, it keeps me happy

Best advice I saw in this thread was to avoid anything too sporty for a while- even a 600 gets to the wrong side of rapid very quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by -=Mike=- View Post
    Get a cheapie fazer or hornet to develop your skills as you will drop it at some point

+1

Quote Originally Posted by doctorj View Post
    Surprised you aren't enjoying the Gladius.
    I'm not.
    Everything Suzuki should have made the SV, wasn't.
    Last edited by Tifa; 18th May 2018 at 11:52.

Got my Mod 1 test this Tuesday coming. Hopefully will be doing Mod 2 on Thursday if I pass, but won’t know for sure until then.

In the meantime this arrived on Thursday to provide me with some motivation ;)

Craftsman
    Get a trail bike, go off road, get muddy, fall off, you won't go fast but you may never go back...

Missus just surprised me with a CBT in 2 weeks!

Looking forward to it as I’ve always wanted to learn to ride

Lovely R9T

I've had over 128 Garmin mph, two up, from the same engine this week, so they can go quite quickly/quickish if you need to.

Enjoy. I'd love to add one at some stage, but I'm rapidly running out of room and need a double garage for the bikes.
    Last edited by Omegamanic; 28th May 2018 at 20:10.

Quote Originally Posted by usedtobelurch View Post
    Get a trail bike, go off road, get muddy, fall off, you won't go fast but you may never go back...
    You don't need a trail bike to get muddy off road...

An R1200R will do...

(Scotland last weekend)

Call me old fashioned but in the "good old days" you bought and rode a bike that YOU wanted, not what others thought you SHOULD ride.

Quote Originally Posted by steptoe View Post
    Call me old fashioned but in the "good old days" you bought and rode a bike that YOU wanted, not what others thought you SHOULD ride.
    Yeah but no one bought a Superdream because they didn’t want an LC!

True, but a lot of people have made mistakes buying inappropriate bikes as a first purchase - and they aren't the cheapest things to buy these days.
    It's just a matter of time...

Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post
    True, but a lot of people have made mistakes buying inappropriate bikes as a first purchase - and they aren't the cheapest things to buy these days.
    So a complete stranger who you have no idea of their biking experiance, on an internet forum advising you what to buy is a help in avoiding any potential mistakes ... :D

Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    Yeah but no one bought a Superdream because they didn’t want an LC!
    I'd say the choice was decided by reality and the insurance costs.

So a complete stranger who you have no idea of their biking experiance, on an internet forum advising you what to buy is a help in avoiding any potential mistakes ... :D
    True, but I would always expect a certain level of due diligence to be undertaken by the buyer. It's difficult to ride every bike, and some just have faults which make them a bugger to enjoy riding - the suspension on the MT09 Yamahas for example if you are over 12 stone, and its throttle response (on all but the latest versions), bit like the fuel injection on/off response on the early Honda CBR's. Most things can be rectified by throwing money at the problem through.

Being able to either discount certain models, or short list others just makes the search a lot simpler.

I'd also suggest that very few people would end up buying something they didn't like the look of - although some must, as there are some god awful looking bikes about - 100's if not 1000's of them over here this week too!

I'd say the choice was decided by reality and the insurance costs.
    Possibly. I thought the RD350's were cheap to insure - I rode one to school each week when I was 16 ;)

In the "good old days" almost all of us were restrained by affordability and insurance costs as we were buying bikes and passing our tests at 19 not 39 and even then we took advice & test rides from our peers - which confirmed we needed an LC !

Also an LC despite being considered "fast" was slow by today's standards.

Possibly. I thought the RD350's were cheap to insure - I rode one to school each week when I was 16 ;)
    In terms for bang for your buck they were as that was the days of the "rider policy" encouraging you to buy and tune the smallest bike within your chosen capacity band - no wonder insurance companies almost ruined - an F2 tuned LC cost the same to insure as a Superdream.

Quote Originally Posted by MB2 View Post
    In terms for bang for your buck they were as that was the days of the "rider policy" encouraging you to buy and tune the smallest bike within your chosen capacity band - no wonder insurance companies almost ruined - an F2 tuned LC cost the same to insure as a Superdream.
    Ah the good old rider policy; the 350LC was in the same category as all the 250s and all your bikes covered under the one policy for the one premium.
    Unfortunately my Z650 was 653cc and had to go into the 900cc category. It would have cost me £275 to insure so my dad insured it and I rode it under the “Any other bike” clause on my policy, which you could get away with in those days!

The brackets were:
    Up to 350cc
    Up to 650cc
    Up to 900cc
    Above 900cc IIRC.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    Ah the good old rider policy; the 350LC was in the same category as all the 250s and all your bikes covered under the one policy for the one premium.
    Unfortunately my Z650 was 653cc and had to go into the 900cc category. It would have cost me £275 to insure so my dad insured it and I rode it under the “Any other bike” clause on my policy, which you could get away with in those days!

The brackets were:
    Up to 350cc
    Up to 650cc
    Up to 900cc
    Above 900cc IIRC.
    My "Riders" policy in 1980 for bikes up to 650cc was £350.

To put the cost into context my current insurance is £410 and covers 7 bikes up to 1199cc.

Quote Originally Posted by Gyp View Post
    You don't need a trail bike to get muddy off road...

An R1200R will do...

(Scotland last weekend)
    Is that an Akrapovic? I was going to get one for my R1200R but baulked at the price!

Quote Originally Posted by j0hnbarker View Post
    Got my Mod 1 test this Tuesday coming. Hopefully will be doing Mod 2 on Thursday if I pass, but won’t know for sure until then.

Lovely.
    100hp-ish for a first bike?
    Hmmm.....two of my mates were sadly killed in the late 60's.
    Riding about 12 months or so on a 175 and a 250, passed their tests, very little experience.
    Both bought Triumph 650 twins, about 50hp?
    Both ran out of road.
    Good luck with your new bike, but take your time.

Quote Originally Posted by Thewatchbloke View Post
    Is that an Akrapovic? I was going to get one for my R1200R but baulked at the price!
    Yes, it's the Akrapovic in BMW spec

Pre-loved from eBay

I’d say it’s a good choice personally, aren’t they around 100 horses?

Quote Originally Posted by Jambo View Post
    I’d say it’s a good choice personally, aren’t they around 100 horses?
    110BHP on the r9t.

Had a little test on some private land and it’s not too much to handle. A lot of the bike’s appeal is the low down torque - it’s not a sports bike that needs thrashing to get anything out of it.

The throttle isn’t too twitchy and pretty much all the reviews state how well balanced and set up the bike is. It has ABS which i’d rather was there than not there.

Spoke to a few of the instructors at the riding school who were all in favour of the bike. Moving up from the 600cc Fazer that I’ve been using as a DAS bike doesn’t feel like some quantum leap in all honesty, at least not like the jump from 125 to DAS bike was!

Bad news is I fluffed Mod 1 today. Too slow in the U-turn and touched a foot down. Otherwise would have passed with no faults.

Re-booked for next week already!

Master
    I failed my Mod 1 twice. I think it’s the hardest if the 2 modules. The Mod 2 should be a breeze if you’re a seasoned motorist. Just remember to use your mirrors and observations regularly.

Yes, it's the Akrapovic in BMW spec

Pre-loved from eBay
    I ended up with an SC Projects can - £70 from a mate of mine! It sounds gorgeous, especially on the overrun!

110BHP on the r9t.

Had a little test on some private land and it’s not too much to handle. A lot of the bike’s appeal is the low down torque - it’s not a sports bike that needs thrashing to get anything out of it.

The throttle isn’t too twitchy and pretty much all the reviews state how well balanced and set up the bike is. It has ABS which i’d rather was there than not there.

Spoke to a few of the instructors at the riding school who were all in favour of the bike. Moving up from the 600cc Fazer that I’ve been using as a DAS bike doesn’t feel like some quantum leap in all honesty, at least not like the jump from 125 to DAS bike was!

Bad news is I fluffed Mod 1 today. Too slow in the U-turn and touched a foot down. Otherwise would have passed with no faults.

Re-booked for next week already!
    An R9T is a cracking post DAS bike, not too bulky or top heavy, quick enough but not mental, comfortable seating position and looks gorgeous. Congratulations

An R9T is a cracking post DAS bike, not too bulky or top heavy, quick enough but not mental, comfortable seating position and looks gorgeous. Congratulations
    Thank you :)

Wanted something that I could grow into, rather than some cheapie that I'd end up getting bored of after a few months.

I know there are various schools of thought about what you should do post-DAS, and after some consideration I went down my particular route. Time will tell if I made the right decision but I'm content. The excessive route would have been to spray similar money on a used S1000RR, but I'm not a fool and realise that something like that is best kept for those with the skills to ride it.

I ended up with an SC Projects can - £70 from a mate of mine! It sounds gorgeous, especially on the overrun!
    ...and probably clears the luggage too (if you have any).

Which head covers are those?

Thank you :)

Wanted something that I could grow into, rather than some cheapie that I'd end up getting bored of after a few months.
    That makes good sense - and it looks quite a forgiving bike too. I am always wary about the weight of a first bike and seat height as it is easy to get in an odd position with it if inexperienced and so need something you can save. That said I nearly dropped my Hypermotard within 5 miles of ownership as my jeans caught on the clutch bleed nipple so do wear the right gear as you get used to it as decent boots can save a silly drop.

I agree completely not getting a sports bike as they are much more unforgiving and can catch you out when tyres not warm etc just as you are getting (over) confident.

Congrats on the R9T, there’s one parked up outside the office every day, and I keep thinking it looks like a nice bike. (I will look into getting myself another bike once the planned house purchase goes through)

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

...and probably clears the luggage too (if you have any).

Which head covers are those?
    It clears the luggage no problem, I've a set of OEM BMW panniers and topbox and liners.

The head covers are Machineart ones, I bought those from the for sale ads on the UkGSer forum, chap bought them and never fitted them, saved me about £40 on a new set.

Blog Entries

That picture could end up costing me a lot of money! Keep looking at it, oh dear.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bootneck View Post
    GSXR 750 was my favourite bike of all (
    My fave sports bike too, great bike that slips into the gap very discreetly and is often overlooked, you’ll tire of a 600 quite quickly, the 1000 is too much but the 750 will always please.

Or just get a HD and relax and look cool as shit doing it

PS Nothing screams 🔔 more than Speed Humps and Sliders that could never naturally have seen tarmac plus the silly walk
    RIAC

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 100thmonkey View Post
    Or just get a HD, dress up like a gay pirate and look like a middle aged accountant living out his Sons Of Anarchy fantasies.
    Fixed to reflect the reality.

Master
    Blog Entries
    The best bike out there on paper is a Honda NC750 it does everything it is totally sensible,reliable,cheap etc.

I wouldn’t touch it with a barge pole [or a GS for that matter it’s just says old man to me] it’s as boring as hell thats not why most of us ride bikes.

Test ride a few bikes and see what you like.
    The first thing that came to mind for your height and weight is a Triumph 675.

Quote Originally Posted by bwest76 View Post
    The best bike out there on paper is a Honda NC750 it does everything it is totally sensible,reliable,cheap etc.

I wouldn’t touch it with a barge pole [or a GS for that matter it’s just says old man to me] it’s as boring as hell thats not why most of us ride bikes.
    Unfortunately, as motorcycling is attracting relatively few younger riders, the manufacturers are having to cope with an ageing customer base. Much as I hate so say it, they are having to cope with buyers that are "old men".

A few of my mates are giving up now as they are finding themselves unable to ride anymore and I can sympathise with them. As we age we lose mobility in the joints and have reduced flexibility along with worsened reaction times. Our ability to hold our heads up reduces too, so a sports riding position becomes less viable (I sold my Hayabusa for this reason alone)

I still love the thrill that I bike gives, but just a couple of weeks ago after a couple of days enthusiastic riding I had to stop completely then crawl the remainder of the trip as my neck could no longer take the repeated stresses of acceleration and braking on our back-road route. And that's on a mere R1200R Sport

Yes, when my mate offers me a spin on his H2-SX I'll be delighted to take it out for half an hour, but i know now however much my mid-20's mind thinks it would be a great idea my mid-50's body just couldn't cope with it any more.

Unfortunately it means that to keep riding as we age, we perhaps need to move to more upright, more manageable and more boring bikes that our younger selves would have laughed at.

Much as NC750s, GSs and Harleys may not appeal, I'm afraid they are the future of motorcycling.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Gyp you made some good points,you see very few younger people on bikes nowadays.

Personally I also know every ride will leave me in pain but don’t want to give up.

I was at a classic bike meet this weekend,I love seeing the real old boys still riding.

these bikes are as slow as the old boys reactions maybe it’s an advantage with age, enabling them to carry on.

They can also get away with plastic jackets and Derri boots

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Dynam0humm View Post
    Fixed to reflect the reality.

Thats the HOG (Harley Owners Group) Patch wearers mate
    RIAC

Craftsman
    [QUOTE=bwest76;4780468]The best bike out there on paper is a Honda NC750 it does everything it is totally sensible,reliable,cheap etc.

I wouldn’t touch it with a barge pole [or a GS for that matter it’s just says old man to me] it’s as boring as hell thats not why most of us ride bikes

Boring as hell:-) Strange ,but as an "old Man" and riding with friends who are also "old Men" we only seem to get held up by the leather clad sports bike riders failing to"make progress" (yes an Old mans term) You may be quick on a circuit but on the road I've seem some poor riding, oh and btw we are still here after 45years + of riding and are "most of us" in your category?. Cheers, John B4

You lucky devil

When these discussions of how fast/slow a particular bike is (and I will admit I was guilty "needing" bigger and bigger bikes) I reflect that my friend set a 100mph lap of the TT on a TZR250 so whilst a faster bike might have allowed for an even faster lap ability (and experience) count for a lot more.

I have had tuned 2 strokes, race bikes, "special" and then a Pegaso 650 - good bike but a bit tall & under braked and now very happy with a Hypermotard which I have set up for commuting with road tyres etc which for me is a great combination of handling, brakes, upright riding position and performance although for long distances would need more wind protection really so good for about 100 miles really which is about the tank range.

I would recommend a Ducati Scrambler. Perfect first bike after the Das

Quote Originally Posted by JamieTheBarber View Post
    I would recommend a Ducati Scrambler. Perfect first bike after the Das

Appreciate it’s a long thread now, but did you read the bit about me going to view a Ducati Scrambler and buying an R nineT instead?!?

Appreciate it’s a long thread now, but did you read the bit about me going to view a Ducati Scrambler and buying an R nineT instead?!?
    No I didn’t, but the R nine T is one hell of a bike! Which one did you go for? I came close to buying the Racer..

Master
    Blog Entries
    [QUOTE=JohnB4;4780646]

I wouldn’t touch it with a barge pole [or a GS for that matter it’s just says old man to me] it’s as boring as hell thats not why most of us ride bikes

Boring as hell:-) Strange ,but as an "old Man" and riding with friends who are also "old Men" we only seem to get held up by the leather clad sports bike riders failing to"make progress" (yes an Old mans term) You may be quick on a circuit but on the road I've seem some poor riding, oh and btw we are still here after 45years + of riding and are "most of us" in your category?. Cheers, John B4

Did I mention speed? That’s not how I am judging boring,I wouldn’t call a bantam boring and it’s not always age makes you old man either.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Back to bikes Yamaha’s got a fine selection at the moment

In the end it’s what bike you see that you desire.

Test ride a few bikes and see what you like.
    The first thing that came to mind for your height and weight is a Triumph 675.
    The GS may look boring, as there are so many around these days, but I’ve just spent the last week or so overtaking every single sports bike, bar one, over the mountain section of the TT course on one. Plus it’s my most comfortable bike out of everything in my garage.

Biking is going back to a more sit up style, and sports bikes aren’t selling in the same numbers they used to. I’m currently considering my next addition, but if BMW release an R1250GS with between 140-150bhp VVL engine, without raising the weight, I’ll be buying yet another GS update.

I would have taken my old 600 around the TT roads quicker than I can ride the Fireblade, as it’s both more fun and easier to ride around at full throttle than a 1000cc bike, but I couldn’t continue to ride around on the road like that, and I wasn’t in a position to go racing.