closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Black ceramic watch

Journeyman

Black ceramic watch

Want to add a black ceramic watch to the collection, but not sure which one. Preferably Matt black. I really like the rough design on the IWC Top Gun, but at 44.5mm it is a bit too bulky for my skinny wrist. The same goes for Omega’s Dark Side of the Moon. Have looked at the Tudor series, but never tried one on yet.

Not looking to spent more than £6-8k as this watch will mainly serve as a casual beater, ruling out the ceramic APs

Any pointers?

Craftsman
    Was in Harrods on Thursday and I’m pretty sure the limited edition Zenith was black ceramic. It was a Chrono model, but I didn’t pay too much attention to other than thinking it was very nice indeed.

Can’t seem to find it online anywhere. It was similar to the Range Rover Velar model, but I’m sure the dial colour was different?

Sorry to be so vague, but it could fit the brief and you’re in London

What about Tag Heuer Carrea in ceramic?
    https://monochrome-watches.com/tag-h...-review-price/
    Think there are more version...

Alternatively you could probably get used Jaeger Deep Sea Cermet within the price range maybe
    http://www.jaeger-lecoultre.com/us/e...h/208A570.html

Pelagos all the way at the price point but given your "6-8k...as a daily beater" post, I doubt money is an issue. In which case, just get a Rolex Sub. Cracking beater.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Steelgecko View Post
    Pelagos all the way at the price point but given your "6-8k...as a daily beater" post, I doubt money is an issue. In which case, just get a Rolex Sub. Cracking beater.
    Doesn’t really fulfill the black ceramic requirement.
    I had a Panerai 339 which is limited edition and should be available secondhand at the higher end of your budget. This was one of the first ceramic PAMs, so if you like their watches, worth looking into further

I would try one of the Omegas I expect in the “metal” it won’t look half as large as you expect. I have a black collection and they all wear smaller than the SS equivalents and if I was adding to it the DSOTM would be right up there.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

I'd try the speedmaster before discounting it. In black they wear smaller than in steel, and the 2018 version is slimmer than previous versions as it's got the manual wind movement.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Apologies, I didn't read the OP's post correctly - my mind leapt to matt black BEZEL.

Ceramic doesn't perhaps make the best casual beater as there is a small risk of it shattering if whacked hard into something (like the edge of a metal lift door etc.) so if OP is thinking of any real abuse perhaps pvd-coated steel?

If OP just wants to try out ceramic, Christopher Ward did a very nice Valjoux 7750 model in various dial iterations and using a lightweight titanium frame, called the C1000 Typhoon. I still have the original version. Maybe one to consider if the OP isn't sure that ceramic is definitely the way to go, as can be picked up on eBay in great condition around £900?

I've owned both below, first one I still have (original) and second (Cockpit Edition) I sold. 20180512_131837-718x957-600x800.jpg20170624_184940-768x1024.jpg

Journeyman
    Blancpain FF Bathyscaphe ceramic. Not keen on the steel or titanium versions, but there’s something about the black ceramic version that makes it less industrial to my eye.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by MartC View Post
    Was in Harrods on Thursday and I’m pretty sure the limited edition Zenith was black ceramic. It was a Chrono model, but I didn’t pay too much attention to other than thinking it was very nice indeed.

Can’t seem to find it online anywhere. It was similar to the Range Rover Velar model, but I’m sure the dial colour was different?

Sorry to be so vague, but it could fit the brief and you’re in London
    Thanks. I think i know which one you mean - unfortunately it is 44/45mm which is a bit too bulky.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Exiztence View Post
    What about Tag Heuer Carrea in ceramic?
    https://monochrome-watches.com/tag-h...-review-price/
    Think there are more version...

Alternatively you could probably get used Jaeger Deep Sea Cermet within the price range maybe
    http://www.jaeger-lecoultre.com/us/e...h/208A570.html

Thanks. I love the JLC, and although it is quite bit it doesn't feel too big. However, the colleague next to me at work has it, so i have made promised not to copy + it is also a bit above budget.

The Tag Heuer looks interesting. Think i need to check that one out in person. Kind of similar to this one http://www.zenith-watches.com/en_en/...1-44-00-1.html

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by mtagrant View Post
    Doesn’t really fulfill the black ceramic requirement.
    I had a Panerai 339 which is limited edition and should be available secondhand at the higher end of your budget. This was one of the first ceramic PAMs, so if you like their watches, worth looking into further
    I tried the 339 today. Was impressed by it - and i have never owned a Panerai, which makes it even more appealing. It is high up on the list at the moment

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by MB2 View Post
    I would try one of the Omegas I expect in the “metal” it won’t look half as large as you expect. I have a black collection and they all wear smaller than the SS equivalents and if I was adding to it the DSOTM would be right up there.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app
    You are right, all the black ones I have tried so far wear much smaller on the wrist than I thought, so can easily add 1-2mm compared to SS

Journeyman
    Apologies, I didn't read the OP's post correctly - my mind leapt to matt black BEZEL.

Ceramic doesn't perhaps make the best casual beater as there is a small risk of it shattering if whacked hard into something (like the edge of a metal lift door etc.) so if OP is thinking of any real abuse perhaps pvd-coated steel?

If OP just wants to try out ceramic, Christopher Ward did a very nice Valjoux 7750 model in various dial iterations and using a lightweight titanium frame, called the C1000 Typhoon. I still have the original version. Maybe one to consider if the OP isn't sure that ceramic is definitely the way to go, as can be picked up on eBay in great condition around £900?

I've owned both below, first one I still have (original) and second (Cockpit Edition) I sold. 20180512_131837-718x957-600x800.jpg20170624_184940-768x1024.jpg
    Thanks for the tip. I had not looked at Christopher Ward, but judging by the photos that is a very good (and reasonably priced) alternative to a few other watches already mentioned

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Oafley Jones View Post
    Blancpain FF Bathyscaphe ceramic. Not keen on the steel or titanium versions, but there’s something about the black ceramic version that makes it less industrial to my eye.
    I have to agree with you. This is perhaps the best looking of all the black ones I have seen. Too bad the price is £12k+ and hardly any pre-owned available for sale

Craftsman
    Something along the lines of Rado’s Hyperchrome?

Craftsman
    I really like the Tudor Fastrider Black Shield

Journeyman
    [QU
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob777 View Post
    Something along the lines of Rado’s Hyperchrome?
    Something like that, but personally i prefer matt to glossy...

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by anz3001 View Post
    I am not a big fan of the red on black, but the white hands are not so bad

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by roanje View Post
    I am not a big fan of the red on black, but the white hands are not so bad
    I like the red but tried on the all white detailed one recently. I'm not sure which way I'd go if I was in a position to buy at that moment.

Journeyman
    I like the red but tried on the all white detailed one recently. I'm not sure which way I'd go if I was in a position to buy at that moment.
    champagne problems

Journeyman
    Can’t get the Fifty Fathoms Bathyscaphe Flyback Chronograph out of my head now...

Master
    £6-8K?
    Girard-Perregaux Laureato would be my choice — hardly a beater though.

https://www.chrono24.co.uk/girardper...-id7843704.htm
    https://www.chrono24.co.uk/girardperregaux/laureato-ceramic-42mm-81010--id7957241.htm

Alternatives...
    https://www.chrono24.co.uk/chopard/l...-id7409543.htm – really pushing the budget though!
    https://www.chrono24.co.uk/bulgari/d...-id7981519.htm

RADO also has the Ultralight models, but leather strap rather than rubber or matching bracelet.

A casual beater you say? I wouldn't beat it too hard . . . http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...amic nightmare
    F.T.F.A.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by magirus View Post
    A casual beater you say? I wouldn't beat it too hard . . . http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...amic nightmare
    There are a few pictures around the internet regarding smashed cases on ceramic watches, but a google search reveals the same 4-5 cases every time covering the last 5 years. There must be thousands of ceramic watches in circulation now so I think the failure rate is extremely low

Craftsman
    This.

I'm pleasantly surprised to see the OP taking the time to come back and post replies (in fact to pretty much every suggestion, as far as I can see); too often we see other OPs posting for suggestions on various subjects and then we don't see them again for ages, sometimes not at all, despite multiple offers of help/ideas. Kudos to the OP here - I hope he finds the right watch and at the right price.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by PJ S View Post
    £6-8K?
    Girard-Perregaux Laureato would be my choice — hardly a beater though.
    Lovely watch but a bit too glossy for my liking. Perhaps strange when coming from a guy with an AP15300

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by magirus View Post
    I know - beater was perhaps not the best way to phrase it. Thinking more along the lines of scratch resistant - that's the kind of beating I would do given that i am mostly chained to a desk for work

Journeyman
    I'm pleasantly surprised to see the OP taking the time to come back and post replies (in fact to pretty much every suggestion, as far as I can see); too often we see other OPs posting for suggestions on various subjects and then we don't see them again for ages, sometimes not at all, despite multiple offers of help/ideas. Kudos to the OP here - I hope he finds the right watch and at the right price.
    I asked for help, so only fair i respond to people offering their thoughts - but thank you!

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by boundary546 View Post
    There are a few pictures around the internet regarding smashed cases on ceramic watches, but a google search reveals the same 4-5 cases every time covering the last 5 years. There must be thousands of ceramic watches in circulation now so I think the failure rate is extremely low
    Agreed. At least I am not very afraid that it will end up like one of the cracked ceramic watcher I have seen online. I think you can find quite a few photos of SS watches that have been through some tough love as well.

Journeyman
    typo...

Quote Originally Posted by boundary546 View Post
    That is a good point - I have a ceramic Hublot and the ceramic bits still look like new, whilst the dark anodised (?) titanium shows signs of wear (on say the clasp edges)

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Hublot ceramic big bangs can be had in that price range.
    Of the used ones I've seen they appear to hold up to daily use very well. I had a spirit of big bang for a while in black ceramic but found the deployant irritating but your wrist may vary.

Master
    £6k, you could have 10 of these.
    They were doing ceramic before anyone even thought about.

My other ceramic is the Rado

Blog Entries
    Bought this recently and has been on my wrist several days every week - amazing time keeping and looks the dogs.....

Quote Originally Posted by verv View Post
    Hublot ceramic big bangs can be had in that price range.
    Of the used ones I've seen they appear to hold up to daily use very well. I had a spirit of big bang for a while in black ceramic but found the deployant irritating but your wrist may vary.
    You sold it?

I have one of the Tudor FS Ceramic pieces, and my wrists aren't huge either... was definitely something different from my Omega and Rolex tool watches.

Journeyman

Black ceramic watch

Well under budget but decent size. Leave you some money for a second toy!

https://www.oris.ch/en/watch/oris-bi...-07-5-20-15gfc

Not to be confusing with a very similar looking XL:

https://www.jurawatches.co.uk/produc...ight-r32069155

Quote Originally Posted by thirdeg View Post
    I have one of the Tudor FS Ceramic pieces, and my wrists aren't huge either... was definitely something different from my Omega and Rolex tool watches.
    That is a really cool watch. I've become more and more tempted by a Tudor since joining this forum!

Quote Originally Posted by thestore View Post
    That is a really cool watch. I've become more and more tempted by a Tudor since joining this forum!
    It's great, really solid and relatively inexpensive compared to the alternatives. I paid about £2.5k for mine.

ceramic does have something to consider

Quote Originally Posted by seikomatic View Post
    ceramic does have something to consider

I think boundary covered this perfectly in an earlier post:

There are a few pictures around the internet regarding smashed cases on ceramic watches, but a google search reveals the same 4-5 cases every time covering the last 5 years. There must be thousands of ceramic watches in circulation now so I think the failure rate is extremely low.