closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Liverpool Weekend Trip Advice

Craftsman

Liverpool Weekend Trip Advice

I have got a weekend trip to Liverpool coming up with my wife and wondered if anyone could offer any advice or recommendations on where is best to eat and what is good to see or do.

We will be arriving Friday morning and staying near Princes Dock for the Friday and Saturday night and have booked a visit to the Terracotta Army on Saturday morning.

Budget would be a mid-priced restaurant on the Friday night and a smokehouse on the Saturday night, if there is one.

I was intending to visit the Anfield megastore to buy a football shirt but the current seasons shirt is sold out.

Try MEET for a good steak scoff, it's real fine....

I think the terracotta army consists of less than a dozen figures......

Master
    Having worked and lodged in Liverpool the best advice I can give is to avoid the place altogether, with the possible exception of the Beatles museum. But if you insist on going there, whatever you do avoid a pub called The Atlantic, situated opposite Huskinson Dock.

Rob

Craftsman
    Reggie747 - I'll look MEET up on the internet and as for the Terracotta Army someone from my work went and said I was in for a real treat, so I hope he wasn't being sarcastic!

Rob - I thought I would get a few comments about avoiding Liverpool all together and I must admit the wife booked it for me as a surprise weekend away after I told her I would love to see the Terracotta Army. But she didn't realise I meant the one in China. Also, I'm intrigued by The Atlantic pub so I might have to go there for a quick pint.

Tate Gallery, maritime museum, museum of Liverpool, art gallery next to the world museum. Liverpool one has David M Robinson and Goldsmiths. Bold street has plenty of nice cafes to sit in. Lark Lane plenty of restaurants as does Allerton Road.

You could always just get a bus or taxi to Anfield (or even walk it’s not that far). Everton’s ground is just down the road from it.
    Last edited by robert75; 12th May 2018 at 04:12.

Quote Originally Posted by Barryboy View Post
    Having worked and lodged in Liverpool the best advice I can give is to avoid the place altogether,
    That's a bit harsh,very short sighted and complete nonsense. Care to explain why Rob because I'm missing your point entirely ?

Quote Originally Posted by Barryboy View Post
    Having worked and lodged in Liverpool the best advice I can give is to avoid the place altogether, with the possible exception of the Beatles museum. But if you insist on going there, whatever you do avoid a pub called The Atlantic, situated opposite Huskinson Dock.

Rob
    Apart from it being a Higsons pub, what's wrong with the Atlantic? Huskisson Dock, btw.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Quote Originally Posted by ralphy View Post
    Apart from it being a Higsons pub, what's wrong with the Atlantic? Huskisson Dock, btw.

R

A quick look on iStreets shows it to be in a very genteel area, I'd be popping in with the missus for a pint myself.

F.T.F.A.

Quote Originally Posted by magirus View Post
    A quick look on iStreets shows it to be in a very genteel area, I'd be popping in with the missus for a pint myself.
    There's plenty like that on the Dock Road, you'll be spoilt for choice. (I've drank in most of them).

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Master
    I would avoid the nan bread. Or is it Nan’s bread? :)

It’s a great city for a weekend visit. My sister and family live there, West Derby actually, and we love it down there. I like Olive restaurant, good steak and in the not cheap but not too expensive category. Loads of great bars throughout the city.

Personally I’d avoid the Anfield and Goodison areas. If you decide to go you’ll realise why I said that.

Have a great trip.

Looks lovely.

Master
    It’s in the middle of the industrial docks. No idea why anyone visiting the city would want to go there.

Craftsman
    I know Liverpool very well - if you cannot have a good time there then you must be dead - there are options to suit probably every visitor - whether you are after culture, heritage, a piss up or something otherwise. I know people who grew up in Liverpool in the 80s and all agree it is unrecognisable from what it once was. There is still a lot of Scouse prejudice but I have found it to be misplaced. The place is bouncing every weekend with most hotels full. I have been visiting Liverpool for over 15 years including living there for a few years.

Depends where your hotel is but as mentioned above Bold Street is good for more diverse/quirky options - you can get Lebanese, Moroccan etc along side more traditional fare. My fave is the Italian fish club restaurant. Also at top of Bold St you will find Oriental places and a good Greek restaurant called Zorbas .

These days I tend to head more to the restaurants towards the commercial quarter - Castle Street and around - places such as Manhatten, Veeno and similar.

One of my favourites though remains Villa Romana on Wood Street - a proper Italian that's been there years.

The only smokehouse I know in Liverpool is on Button Street (Button Street Smokehouse!) - not been for years but I recall it was decent.

The reference to the Atlantic is left-field at best. It is way out of the city and there is little to no chance a tourist would happen upon it. I think it is closed now anyway. It's on the Dock (Regent) Road and used to be busy some nights with contractors enjoying the stripper etc - along with Sherlocks (definitely closed) - a bit like the wild west probably was its day!

No one mentioned The Cavern & Mathew Street? If you're into your music it's a must .. I love it there.

Being quite a Beatles fan I did the Museum and the Bus tour too .. great fun and very interesting if that's your thing.

Anfield is worth a look, did the tour of the ground which is great even if your not a LFC supporter

Master
    The Baltic Triangle is pretty funky too, especially if the weather is decent.

Here for breakfast :-

https://www.moosecoffee.co/

The obligatory ferry across the Mersey maybe ?

Quote Originally Posted by reggie747 View Post
    Try MEET for a good steak scoff, it's real fine....
    +1 It's great, unless your a veggie

The city bus tour is well worth an hour of your time as there’s some really interesting history in the city.

Quote Originally Posted by TaketheCannoli View Post
    The city bus tour is well worth an hour of your time as there’s some really interesting history in the city.
    This is great advice and you can buy a ticket down at the front at the docks

It’s great fun and you can hop
    On and off get back on etc

Gets you away from the shopping areas

Also agree with Matthew St for Beatlemania!

Your spoilt for choice with bars etc - enjoy

No trip to Liverpool would be complete without a late evening beer in the Lisbon on Victoria Street.
    Best Regards - Peter

I'd hate to be with you when you're on your own.

Craftsman
    Great idea, I hadn't even given this a seconds thought but have used this method of site seeing when visiting other European cites and its brilliant.

I appreciate all the suggestions so far!

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Griswold View Post
    No trip to Liverpool would be complete without a late evening beer in the Lisbon on Victoria Street.
    Sadly I've never been in The Lisbon but the sights I have seen when driving past of patrons outside having ciggies

I once got caught up in a parade that started on Stanley Street - involving overly butch firemen and blowing bubbles - but that's another story

The City Bus tour is great - pity the Yellow Duckmarines went (sunk) as they were brilliant. Don't dismiss the tourist runs by the Mersey Ferries as it gives a great perspective of the city from the river as well as a view of the Wirral waterfront architecture.
    Last edited by donny; 12th May 2018 at 17:24.

Quote Originally Posted by cf31bloobird View Post
    No one mentioned The Cavern & Mathew Street? If you're into your music it's a must .. I love it there.

Being quite a Beatles fan I did the Museum and the Bus tour too .. great fun and very interesting if that's your thing.

Anfield is worth a look, did the tour of the ground which is great even if your not a LFC supporter
    The Grapes as well nearby worth a visit.

Master
    Agreed - definitely worth doing.

The Roman Catholic cathedral is worth a visit (and I’m an atheist).

Pete

Quote Originally Posted by robert75 View Post
    Tate Gallery, maritime museum, museum of Liverpool, art gallery next to the world museum. Liverpool one has David M Robinson and Goldsmiths. Bold street has plenty of nice cafes to sit in. Lark Lane plenty of restaurants as does Allerton Road.

You could always just get a bus or taxi to Anfield (or even walk it’s not that far). Everton’s ground is just down the road from it.

Agree, lots to do. And U235 , very interesting.

Craftsman
    Alma de Cuba on Seel st is an entertaining place to eat. Then walk up Seel to the bombed church and back down Bold st

Master
    If you plan to visit The Terracotta warriors, then please book. Most popular times are sold out.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by robert75 View Post
    The Grapes as well nearby worth a visit.
    An added bonus being if you make it to last orders you only need to wait a few hours for the shops to open

I was brought up in the ‘Pool until I left for uni and didn’t return.

The city centre has changed immeasurably since I was a kid. When I go back I feel like a tourist in my own city.

We stay in city centre hotels when we go back as my folks place is too small for us to stay in, and after many visits we still always find something new has opened to keep us interested.

Would recommend the Baltic Fleet for a pint or three (it brews its own stuff) which is on the road just outside the Albert Dock.

The amount a Spanish, Italians, Icelandic’s, Irish etc. you hear while walking around gives you a indication it a popular city for Europeans to visit.

Master

My father warned me never to drink in a pub with a flat roof..............

- anyway I preferred the Baltic, The grapes and the white swan, though they all have probably changed since I worked there.

B

Quote Originally Posted by noTAGlove View Post
    I was brought up in the ‘Pool until I left for uni and didn’t return.

The city centre has changed immeasurably since I was a kid. When I go back I feel like a tourist in my own city.

We stay in city centre hotels when we go back as my folks place is too small for us to stay in, and after many visits we still always find something new has opened to keep us interested.

Would recommend the Baltic Fleet for a pint or three (it brews its own stuff) which is on the road just outside the Albert Dock.

The amount a Spanish, Italians, Icelandic’s, Irish etc. you hear while walking around gives you a indication it a popular city for Europeans to visit.
    That’s a great pub. I used to park round the corner when working in the city centre. They do a good pan of Scouse too .
    There’s a funky rooftop bar opposite The Cunard building on The Strand. I think it’s in India House but I could be wrong.
    Great city to visit , you shouldn’t run short of things to do
    Edit. Just checked, it’s in East Africa House and it’s called OhMeOhMy . Easily found on the web .
    Last edited by thegoat; 13th May 2018 at 12:01.

Can also recommend the Ship & Mitre on Dale Street near the flyover. Fantastic selection of ales.

Can also recommend the Ship & Mitre on Dale Street near the flyover. Fantastic selection of ales.
    No, please, sadly it's a $h1thole.

Everything’s subjective, but at least it’s 4.5 stars on Tripadvisor, and a s-hole it most definitely isn’t

Master
    I quite like the Ship & Mitre. Not somewhere to spend the whole evening but a good place to meet up for a few beers that are not available anywhere else before heading in to town. Good cheesy nacho etc too if you’ve missed dinner.

Craftsman
    Thinking of going to https://fazenda.co.uk for the evening dinning option but can I make my money back in the 2 hour sitting!

Or https://truebarbecue.com/liverpool/ looks really nice.

Unless something has dramatically changed there in the past month or two cant say I agree with that.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ptcoll View Post
    Agreed - definitely worth doing.

The Roman Catholic cathedral is worth a visit (and I’m an atheist).

Pete
    My mate dose the security at that one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Sad news; I drove past the Atlantic today and it has indeed shut down.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ralphy View Post

R
    I'm sorry to say that my mid-1980's sojourn into the delights of Liverpool have rather turned me against the place. The people I was unfortunate enough to work with were in the main wannabe scallies, the whole place had an aura of seedy decay and the pubs, typified by The Atlantic , left a lot to be desired.

This was the place for our lunchtime pint. One day I foolishly decided to have some food there and was talked into buying a plate of Scouse (described as a local delicacy) which turned out to be a claggy slop, poorly disguised as a stew of vegetables and some sort of unrecognizable meat. This gave me a violent dose of the squitters which kept me dashing to the thunderbox for two days. In hindsight the fact that they were only charging a pound for it should have warned me..... One contributor says that the place has now closed. Perhaps the local health authority had.a hand in that......

And whilst I consider myself to be a chap with a good sense of humour I'm certain that the phrase "Scouse Wit" has its origins in Cockney rhyming slang. In all I see no reason to ever go back to Liverpool.

Rob

Craftsman
    We went for a couple of days and I have to say it was a revelation, went by train so no driving parking to worry about. Walker art gallery is Fantastic, Tate Modern is great too. Went to Ship & Mitre and thought it was a great pub with lots of choice of beers.Have a wander through the old georgian area to see some lovely architecture too. Cheers, John B4

Master
    My eldest daughter is just finishing her first year at Uni, came back from another weekend visit last week

Reds is a good smokehouse on Hanover Street https://truebarbecue.com/liverpool/

Brasco lounge at Mann Island is decent for breakfast and a beer http://thelounges.co.uk/brasco/

as said Old street is pretty good, loads of nice looking independent places

Liverpool has always been a great night out, but the city itself used to be a very poor relation to places like Manchester and Leeds. Even in the 00s I remember going in and thinking how run down the place was, with none of the regeneration and development Manchester had - which was a shame as there’s some fantastic history there (and not just “De Beeetles”)

I agree that (thankfully) it’s changed massively over the past decade, and the city centre is much more stylish.

Scousers are still Mancs with a persecution complex though ;-)

If by any chance you enjoy a good pub toilet, don't miss The Philharmonic Bar.

Quote Originally Posted by robcat View Post
    Scousers are still Mancs with a persecution complex though ;-)
    No comparison between Liverpool and Manchester.

Liverpool is now a thriving and popular weekend destination for many Brits and Europeans

Manchester isn’t.

No comparison between Liverpool and Manchester.

Liverpool is now a thriving and popular weekend destination for many Brits and Europeans

Manchester isn’t.
    OK 👍
    3rd most popular v 5th /6thmost popular city to visit .
    I’ll let you guess which is which

Liverpool Weekend Trip Advice

Quote Originally Posted by thegoat View Post
    OK
    3rd most popular v 5th /6thmost popular city to visit .
    I’ll let you guess which is which
    Yes, I know very popular with the day trippers from Rochdale, Bolton and Bury.

Look at the 7 top Tripadvisor attractions for Manchester.

1. Manchester Library
    2. Elizabeth Gaskell’s House
    3. Town Hall
    4. Cathedral
    5. Albert Square
    6. St Ann’s Square
    7. Piccadilly Station

That’ll keep you interested for an hour or two.

Tate, 2 Cathedrals (one of which is one of the largest in the world), Maritime Museum, Museum of Liverpool, Beatles Museum, Walker Art gallery, historic waterfront, Albert Dock etc. etc.

There’s always Lime Street station if you get bored of Piccadilly, lol.

Master
    Although I don’t live far away, I rarely visit Liverpool. I worked there in the 90s and it was a dump.
    It’s muchnimproved in the centre and I’m going there for the first time in ages tomorrow.
    Have aftetnoon tea booked at Panoramic 34 and a meal at Mowgli later on.
    Really looking forward to it.

Yes, I know very popular with the day trippers from Rochdale, Bolton and Bury.

Look at the 7 top Tripadvisor attractions for Manchester.

1. Manchester Library
    2. Elizabeth Gaskell’s House
    3. Town Hall
    4. Cathedral
    5. Albert Square
    6. St Ann’s Square
    7. Piccadilly Stat

That’ll keep you interested for an hour or two.

Tate, 2 Cathedrals (one of which is one of the largest in the world), Maritime Museum, Museum of Liverpool, Beatles Museum, Walker Art gallery, historic waterfront, Albert Dock etc. etc.

There’s always Lime Street station if you get bored of Piccadilly, lol.
    Well done on , literally , resorting to type and making stuff up .
    I’m sorry , truly sorry that Manchester is more popular than Liverpool. Perhaps you could hold a candlelit vigil on Matthews St to draw attention to your plight.
    I’ll also take this opportunity to apologise for The Manchester Ship Canal too .
    Meanwhile, I’m off to Piccadilly Gardens to partake of some White Lightning and Spice with my fellow Mancunians .