closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Stunning structures - post your favourite or most detested buildings

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil.C View Post
    I'm a big Deco fan and it always raises my spirits when I walk down Collins or Ocean Drive and take in the fabulous tropical versions of American Deco.

They look fabulous at night too...

Isn’t Tesco behind it? Sure the building itself was being converted into flats last time I drove past.

The Deco building in England that gets my juices going has always been the Hoover factory on Western Avenue....

I haven't been around there for a good while and believe it is a Tesco's now.

This house has always had an effect on me - George Bests` place in Cheshire, 1970`s.
    I was but a nipper in those days and we lived a few miles away, i can always remember making a point of looking out of the window when passing in the family car as my dad would announce that `George Bests` house is coming up`.
    With it`s white-tiled exterior cladding my mother said it looked like a public toilets.

The house is still there - you can see it on Google maps, but is unrecognisable after much alteration, which is a shame...

Like many others, I grew up lusting after Frank Lloyd Wright houses, always had calenders on the wall, and I really love his more 'modest' designs like this one. Its just a lovely mix of the warm dark wood, lovely light and solid red brick features. Really helps feel warm and inviting even with lots of open windows, hard surfaces.

http://www.midcenturyhome.com/frank-...leighey-house/

Then his larger houses, like Robie House, just stunning!

Master
    Seeing Verv’s photos reminded me of this place we stumbled on in the Netherlands - Radio Kootwijk. As well as being a fascinating building, it is made all the more interesting by being in the arse end of nowhere. It looks so out of place in an otherwise completely flat, uninhabited area.

Last edited by benny.c; 11th May 2018 at 19:02.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by benny.c View Post
    Seeing Verv’s photos reminded me of this place we stumbled on in the Netherlands - Radio Kootwijk. As well as being a fascinating building, it is made all the more interesting by being in the arse end of nowhere. It looks so out of place in an otherwise completely flat, uninhabited area.

Only 5 miles away from my home! It's style is the 'Amsterdamse School', but I think that Luthman (the architect) had an open eye to the east as well: Berlin. I've never been inside the building. I had two pupils in class (boy and later his younger sister) who live a few minutes up the road from where this pic is taken. The scenery isn't so desolated as you might think. Kootwijk is a little village, more a hamlet on the edge of woodlands and heath-lands. The small houses were originally built for employees.

The building was there for radio transmissions between The Netherlands and the Dutch East Indies. The building was unused for years and was nominated to be pulled down. Currently there are voices to stop the influx of tourists...
    Last edited by thieuster; 11th May 2018 at 19:13.

Master
    Thanks for the info

On the day we visited the place was open, I think for a film crew. Although I guess I shouldn’t have I wandered in with a few random people and had a decent look around. Fabulous building and a real surprise. I think we drove through the village on the way there.

It would be a shame to see it demolished but then I’m not local!
    Last edited by benny.c; 11th May 2018 at 19:18.

Blog Entries
    I used to live in a town up north: Zwolle. The former Provincial High Court building is transformed into a Museum: the Fundatie. On top of the existing roof, there's now a dome with special clay tiles. The sun (or absence of the sun) determines the look-and-feel of the dome. It took a while... before I got used to the 'in your face' appearance of the dome after seeing the building without the bulb for more than 15 yrs!

Blog Entries
    ... and then there's this: the HQ of a large building company. One of the brothers, the owner of the company + building is a frequent visitor of the workshop (he owns the admiralty grey Alfa Romeo Typo 8 I once showed here)

Is is Gaudi? No it is Hundertwasser, an Austrian architect. The building is built around 2000. And the brothers wanted to pay a homage to Hundertwasser. I think that they've succeeded. It is not my taste, but I can admire the guts to build something like this!

We have just spent a few days up in Edinburgh. A beautiful city for architecture but we went to see Holyrood parliament building out of curiosity. It is brutally ugly on the outside but the interior is quite the opposite:

https://goo.gl/images/Sb9BDW

Speaking of Frank Lloyd Wright, an absolute classic - the Guggenheim Museum building was probably the one which left on me the most lasting impression when I was ten or eleven and shaped my love for the modern, quirky architecture. Mind you I was a very impressionable child.

Fas est ab hoste doceri

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Papa Hotel View Post
    It's not big and grand or sexy but I've always loved the McCallister house at the Ulster American Folk Park. Some day I'll live in something inspired by this:

About 5 miles from where I sit. It does have a certain charm, I agree.

I think London has some of the most interesting architecture around, these 2 are still favourites...

More Shard (Explored) by Ash Smith, on Flickr

Gherkin & Scalpel by Ash Smith, on Flickr

Blog Entries
    Not taken by me... but of all the buildings in the world... this has something that excites me.

I have seen it a couple of times too.... whilst in NYC.

It just has 'charm.'

I have sat atop the Empire State, the World Trade Center... but the Flatiron Building just works for me.

Greg. :)

More info:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flatiron_Building
    Last edited by gregory; 11th May 2018 at 22:36.

Master
    I’d agree, taken by me in 2001, scanned from a print.

The Geisel Library on the campus of the University of California San Diego:

Airship hangars you say?

Here are a couple of snaps I took at the former Weeksville Naval Air Station, just outside Elizabeth City, North Carolina. When Airship Industries closed down (due to Alan Bond's financial difficulties), one of the founders took over the US operation which was running profitably and created Airship Management Services Inc. I visited the US base as the CEO was a friend of a friend and I came close to joining the company, even considering getting a CPL (Airships) so I could pilot them - how mental is that?

The prints are not date stamped, but I think it is early 2000. The hangar is steel and originally stood next to a wooden hangar which was, apparently, even more impressive, but sadly burned to the ground in the mid nineties.

Anyway, the Fuji liveried airship in the picture is a Skyship 500, the same as appeared in A View to a Kill (Zorin Industries). It is dwarfed in the hangar, but it is 170 feet long and 61 feet high, which gives some idea of the scale of the building. Fun fact, the Skyship 500 is propelled by twin Porsche boxer engines.

Craftsman
    Awesome post.

Personally I love Soviet and abandoned buildings.

Prize if anyone can guess where this was taken.

Master
    Always found the toastrack in Manchester interesting:
    https://goo.gl/images/yPUiJp

Aside from that, the Palace of Westminster is always a favourite as is Capitol Hill in Washington

I may be one of the few that is a fan of the 'walkie talkie' building. As you walk down Fenchurch Street, it looms in a vertigo inducing manner.

What a great theme for a thread. Here's the Gallarus Oratory on the Dingle Peninsula, which I visited some years back.

Castle Drogo is another impressive building, but a lot younger:

Great thread!

Ive always been drawn to The Battleship Building in Paddington

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Whoa Simon!

The iconic GPO tower has been a favourite of mine since I first saw it shortly after its completion

(...yes, I know it the 'BT Tower' now, but to me it will always be the GPO Tower)

Such as shame that the rotating restaurant is no longer in operation

Quote Originally Posted by Velorum View Post
    Such as shame that the rotating restaurant is no longer in operation
    I think it is still in operation, just not open to the public. Used for BT corporate and client events.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by demonloop View Post
    About 5 miles from where I sit. It does have a certain charm, I agree.
    I plan a visit with the robsmcklets to the folk park in the summer. Worth the trip from Co Down?

The like of this in London (33 Bury Street).

Why do I like it? It encapsulates my mental picture of the best bits of the London landscape. It is a statement of self-confidence and stylish restraint - a sort of Kent & Haste suit, in stone and brick. Others might build willy-shaped skyscrapers, but in Edwardian London, the Crown Estate felt obliged to please no-one but themselves.

A lot of buildings in St James are gems - the old RBS (or was it Barclays) Bank on Piccadilly with the Chinese interior was breathtaking, as a bank. As a gazillionaires restaurant, not so much.

Recently refurbed - the architects' website gives a great view of the interiors. http://morrowlorraine.com/33-bury-street/

Quote Originally Posted by Neil.C View Post
    I'm a big Deco fan and it always raises my spirits when I walk down Collins or Ocean Drive and take in the fabulous tropical versions of American Deco.

...images etc...

Have you ever visited Cincinnati Union Terminal:

...? See Wiki for external and other views.

Master
    Image1526135121.466628.jpg
    Drive past this everyday love it. Has peregrine falcons nesting at the top.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Sinnlover View Post
    I have always loved the Commonwealth Institute on Kensington High Street.
    I grew up a short walk away and used to like popping in there as a kid.
    It was derelict for years until the design museum moved in. Ironically they ruined the interior which was fantastic design in its original guise.
    That's a blast from the past! It was one of my gran's standards when taking me and my brother for a day out in London in the '70s. I loved exploring the now destroyed multi-level interior, and I'm sure that the exhibits fuelled my wanderlust.

Most Incan architecture is impressive, but the colossal yet intricate polygonal masonry of the citadel of Sacsayhuamán tops the lot.

Quote Originally Posted by PickleB View Post
    Have you ever visited Cincinnati Union Terminal:

...? See Wiki for external and other views.
    No I haven't, but I'd love to! Looks fabulous.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by Hammond View Post
    Philip Johnson's Glass House in New Canaan is wonderful

The other buildings on the site such as Da Monsta are also incredible.
    Unlivable in, from my point of view

I rented a mega house a while back with a 15mx15m lounge that was glass on three sides. In the evenings it was a horrible space as the outside seemed to be peering in and we never got a cosy feeling at all. There were no neighbours, so the owner didn't fit blinds or curtains, there was a silly all-glass wood burner in the middle which took about a tonne of wood a week to feed. A 60" telly didn't do much to close the space down and we used to push all the furniture to the corner and kind-of make a den....

The hard edges, glass, transparency, and lack of architectural warmth solidified in my mind the opinion that architects can design fancy stuff with fancy materials, but to live in this space is quite something else, once the cheques have been written and the builders skips removed, that's it.

Perhaps I'm destined for houses with low ceilings, wood beams and cosyness....

anyhow, I couldn't design or build this sort of thing, so credit where credit is due, I just put people back together again.

Quote Originally Posted by me32dc View Post

Prize if anyone can guess where this was taken.
    Croydon.

Master
    I wouldn't say I detest this one, but I don't really like it, and I see it quite often. It's the "new" Birmingham Library.

Certainly better than the one it replaced though.

Pete

Last edited by ptcoll; 12th May 2018 at 20:55. Reason: Spelling

Another favourite is the Pseudo Moorish Vijećnica in Sarajevo. It is as much about the needless destruction and subsequent rebirth that it has come to represent as the architecture.

Here's the iconic 1992 image of Vedran Smailović playing cello in the ruins.

Quote Originally Posted by hogthrob View Post
    I may be one of the few that is a fan of the 'walkie talkie' building. As you walk down Fenchurch Street, it looms in a vertigo inducing manner.
    I'm not that taken with the exterior but was impressed by the interior. The sky garden is a brilliant public space and amazing that it's a free to visit.

Master

When I pass this in Maryhill Glasgow(very tough area) I am always taken by it.
    Mural on the gable end of a tenament.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ptcoll View Post
    I wouldn't say I detest this one, but I don't really like it, and I see it quite often. It's the "new" Birmingham Library.

Certainly better than the one it replaced though.

Pete
    I always thought that it looked like a stack of those decorative metal tissue boxes that you sometimes see in the back of taxis.

Am also a fan of the Flat iron building and 2 of my other NY favourites in the same photo

and some details

Also difficult to find a photo which does this justice compared with real world view

Most detested

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ptcoll View Post

It looks like it’s floating.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by E_2_Right-Force View Post
    Croydon.
    Very close, Pripyat Chernobyl the supermarket in the centre of town.

Quote Originally Posted by thieuster View Post
    Is is Gaudi? No it is Hundertwasser, an Austrian architect.
    More gaudy than Gaudi.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Curta View Post
    More gaudy than Gaudi.
    The District Heating Plant Spittelau, Wien, is another Hundertwasser design. It gets it's own entry on TripAdvisor (link) with a 4+ rating...the gallery on their site is worth a browse to see some of the details. Apparently it has recently been updated and refurbished.

I remember this being a point of reference going into town on a visit to Vienna. The Hundertwasserhaus is more central.

Master
    I really like this building. It is quite ugly but I still like it. It must have looked incredible to people when it was first erected and there are parts of it which look positively space age even now.

Depending on where you are stood, it looks like the outside of a football stadium, a cheap spanish holiday complex or a soviet power station.

I have spent a lot of time hanging around here in the last couple of years and it was quite a pleasant evening when I took these photos earlier.

The Brunswick in London
    Last edited by poppy; 14th May 2018 at 00:10.

Stunning structures - post your favourite or most detested buildings

Quote Originally Posted by poppy View Post
    I really like this building. It is quite ugly but I still like it. It must have looked incredible to people when it was first erected and there are parts of it which look positively space age even now.

Depending on where you are stood, it looks like the outside of a football stadium, a cheap spanish holiday complex or a soviet power station.

I have spent a lot of time hanging around here in the last couple of years and it was quite a pleasant evening when I took these photos earlier.

The Brunswick in London
    Me too . I used to work down the road from here 12 years ago and loved the look of this building.
    Last edited by eagletower; 14th May 2018 at 07:35.

Blog Entries
    Belgian architect Victor Horta has done great things for Brussel. His buildings are hard-core Jugendstil, so to speak. Here a pic of a few homes + interior. A lot of these wonderful buildings are converted into small, high-end hotels and they must be worth a stay, according to the pics.

Craftsman
    In them there mountainous Hills of Surrey
    I'm quite surprised that we have got to almost 100 posts without a mention of Zaha Hadid's work worldwise; totally bonkers, utterly impossible to construct conventionally and always an aesthetic challenge. The Glasgow Transport Museum, the Investcorp Building for St Anthony's College, Oxford and the London 2012 Aquatics Centre are UK examples of her work, the first two of which my employer had a major involvement with. Sadly she left this world in 2016 but what a legacy she has left.

Another new UK building (not even open yet) that is going to generate headlines is the V&A Museum in Dundee, designed by Japanese Architect Kengo Kuma. Will be interesting to see if the headlines are positive or otherwise...

The Nuraghe Su Nuraxi in Sardinia is something worth seeing. Sadly described as "little more than a pile of rocks" in the stupid guidebook I bought, it is so much more. A fantastic stone fort surrounded by dozens of tiny stone huts, the place is bizarre looking at it with 21st century eyes.

Quote Originally Posted by thieuster View Post
    Belgian architect Victor Horta has done great things for Brussel. His buildings are hard-core Jugendstil, so to speak. Here a pic of a few homes + interior. A lot of these wonderful buildings are converted into small, high-end hotels and they must be worth a stay, according to the pics.

That's lovely - theres some superb 19/20th C domestic architecture in Belgium.