closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: New York used watch shops...

Journeyman

New York used watch shops...

Any recommendations or personal experiences guys? I think I'm down there in June/July.

With the GBP being 1.36 against the USD, watches will be much more expensive in NYC than in London.

Craftsman
    Interesting observation about the exchange rate. I'll be there at a similar time and was wondering the same thing. Are watches in the US only cheaper than the UK when the pound is very strong? Other commodities such as clothes etc would still slightly cheaper at the moment, often with a dollar-to-pound equivalent price. Are watches generally priced differently?
    Last edited by boywithabubblegun; 10th May 2018 at 17:17.

A fellow member recommended Central Watch to me. http://www.centralwatch.com

Its a tiny hole in the wall inside Grand Central Station, not easy to find. On the other hand they had a pretty fantastic selection of vintage watches as well as some new ones. I bought an alligator strap from a very good selection as well, for a reasonable price. The people there were all knowledgeable enthusiasts and I suspect many of the customers are as well, judging by the young lady who brought in her steel Skydweller for some TLC.

The watches ranged from Pateks to a beautiful Tissot Seastar Navigator World Time and none of them were cheap, even without the exchange rate.

There were some other vintage watch shops in the general vicinity that made for some nice window shopping.

I was there last week and saw a few rolex watches but they were more there than they are here in the uk and that was even with the 1 to 1.40 exchange rate I got

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Journeyman
    Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by boywithabubblegun View Post
    Interesting observation about the exchange rate. I'll be there at a similar time and was wondering the same thing. Are watches in the US only cheaper than the UK when the pound is very strong? Other commodities such as clothes etc would still slightly cheaper at the moment, often with a dollar-to-pound equivalent price. Are watches generally priced differently?

Sent from my [device_name] using TZ-UK mobile app
    A lot of the cheaper commodoties are American/far east made, most of the watches you're interested in will presumably made in Europe so US/CHF/EUR/GDP exchange rates have a greater impact.

Master
    About five years ago I spent a couple of hours looking at used watches on West 47th Street, between Fifth and Sixth, where there's a clutch of watch dealers. Some are individual stores, others are under one roof (a similar setup to the ones you have in Hatton Garden). IIRC a couple of them are active on the vintage rolex forum.

Have fun hunting!

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisparker View Post
    A lot of the cheaper commodoties are American/far east made, most of the watches you're interested in will presumably made in Europe so US/CHF/EUR/GDP exchange rates have a greater impact.
    Makes sense. I suspected that may be the case.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by CJQC View Post
    Any recommendations or personal experiences guys? I think I'm down there in June/July.
    I have visited Bob's Watches twice. Very happy with the service and insight, however on two occasions their prices were not competitive with that i found elsewhere.

Journeyman
    Is there any mileage in going through the jewellery district? A lot of watches that pop up on eBay seem to originate from there.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by NickRed71 View Post
    About five years ago I spent a couple of hours looking at used watches on West 47th Street, between Fifth and Sixth, where there's a clutch of watch dealers. Some are individual stores, others are under one roof (a similar setup to the ones you have in Hatton Garden). IIRC a couple of them are active on the vintage rolex forum.

Have fun hunting!
    Thanks very much!

Master
    Blog Entries
    Handy thread, im off next month also but only intend window shopping but would like try on / see some models