closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 44 of 54 FirstFirst ... 344243444546 ... LastLast
Results 2,151 to 2,200 of 2660

Thread: The Pizza Thread.... show off...

Calzone with cepes and ham.

Someone who lies about the little things will lie about the big things too.

Quote Originally Posted by Raffe View Post
    Calzone with cepes and ham.

Looks great

Quick Q, as the Calzone is thicker than a regular pizza do you increase the cooking time?

Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    Looks great

Quick Q, as the Calzone is thicker than a regular pizza do you increase the cooking time?
    Yes, you reduce temperature to about 350 degrees and bake for about three to four minutes.

Yes, you reduce temperature to about 350 degrees and bake for about three to four minutes.
    Ah ok thanks, may give that a try as I love Calzone

Quote Originally Posted by Mj2k View Post
    https://pizzaunited.co.uk/collection...biscotto-stone

Wife has thrown a curveball saying she only wants it used outside!

I’ve measured and think it will fit perfectly on the induction hob, but alas it is way over the weight the hob can support at 25kg.

So back on wood fired outside!
    Can you not get or make a board or base to go over the hob, with feet that sit on the worktop? Like a table with really, really short legs? It would be a tragedy to get an F1 and not be able to use it indoors.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by hogthrob View Post
    Can you not get or make a board or base to go over the hob, with feet that sit on the worktop? Like a table with really, really short legs? It would be a tragedy to get an F1 and not be able to use it indoors.
    Toyed with that idea. Have also come to the conclusion I’d rather some more things for the Egg and a VR headset for the PS5 so will be upgrading my stone to a biscotto.

Seeing lots of people making good pizzas in the FB forum so clearly it is me failing. Also we don’t eat enough pizza.

Also we don’t eat enough pizza.
    After everything we've done for you?

New outdoor pizza oven just dropped. Where is spring?

Master
    After everything we've done for you?
    I shall seek penance.

Don’t feel I have the time for week night pizzas, certainly not the mess I make doing them.

Perhaps I need to try different varieties and do them more often over the summer as fallen into a rut of pepperoni or prosciutto crudo.

Biscotto certainly reviews well for changing the base out, so worth a go for £60.

Master
    Think you’ve a long wait

Quick Q - I'm assuming it's fine to freeze the proofed and balled dough for later?

I've heard people doing it, never done it myself. I'd rather knock up a new dough, no cost or effort involved....

It will keep a couple of days in the fridge if you need to change plans. Just re-ball it when you take it out five hours before the bake.

Master
    AdiM sell pre-balled dough (from Italy) which comes frozen.
    I tried it once (I know!!) and it worked just like any other.

So, yes it is possible.

p.s. the dough they sell contains OIL Raffe !!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Boss13 View Post
    AdiM sell pre-balled dough (from Italy) which comes frozen.
    I tried it once (I know!!) and it worked just like any other.

So, yes it is possible.

p.s. the dough they sell contains OIL Raffe !!!!

Grazie guys

And pineapple is a big no no!

Margherita always a winner, as is tomato sauce, mozzarella and Nduja (IMHO)

Really enjoying this - I find the dough making quite therapeutic doing it by hand and my lad is joining in the process as well, he gets excited by seeing what happens all the way through.

PS no oil here.

Looks like the freight forwarder took that part with "dropping" a bit too serious.

Oven looks like it has been dropped, biscotto smashed, looks like it's completely bent out of shape.

Not happy.

Master
    Sorry to hear that Raffe, hope you get it rectified.

On another note, what happened to your last outdoor oven? Upgrade?

Sorry to hear that Raffe, hope you get it rectified.

On another note, what happened to your last outdoor oven? Upgrade?
    It got stolen from my terrace.

Master
    It got stolen from my terrace.
    That is so out of shape, damn that is frustrating - even though I am dead to you!

Blog Entries
    Quick Q - I'm assuming it's fine to freeze the proofed and balled dough for later?
    Yep, everything. Me after the 21 turfed out night.

That pumpkin puree...

Blog Entries
    That pumpkin puree...
    Indeed Squire, fantastic stuff

Pitch

Had pizzas tonight using dough that had been proving for 48 hours at room temperature. Neopolitan style, minimal yeast, Tipo 00 flour (Caputo was unavailable so I used the M&S one that's for pasta but can be used for pizza), salt, water (60% hydration). No oil whatsoever either in the dough mix or brushed on top to prevent sticking. What I did do is roughly mix the dough ingredients, leave it in a bit of a tatty mess for an hour covered before kneading by hand. I have a Vorwerk Thermomix but I've found hand kneading and folding gets a much better result, you can tell when the dough is correctly kneaded and its actually quite therapeutic!

That extra time proving made a huge difference to the taste of the dough and it had excellent leopard spots (cooked in a Sage Pizziolo electric pizza oven). Really very good even if my stretching skills aren't up to scratch yet.

Using fresh mozzarella chopped and drained on kitchen roll, hand crushed tinned San Marzano tomatoes (liquid drained, just using the tomatoes, uncooked with basil, a bit of salt and pepper and a splash of olive oil to make the sauce), Parmigiano Reggiano and Nduja plus some fresh basil.

I also tried making one with Provelone cheese and Milano Salami and that was very good again but in both cases the dough really made the difference so a 48 hour prove is what I'll stick to.

Room temp is 21 degrees in the apartment and I'm proving in a plastic pizza dough proving box I bought inexpensively off amazon.

I find this whole thread very inspiring TBH - now I'm more into it and know a bit more what I'm doing I can really appreciate the skill I can see that's gone into making some of the pizzas that we can see in the thread.
    Last edited by ryanb741; 29th April 2023 at 01:38.

There we go.

That must have been the quickest learning curve ever.

Well done.

Pizza party today!

70% hydration.

The Pizza Thread.... show off...

I’’’ve made a fair amount of pizzas since the first lockdown and here are some of my tips most may have been mentioned so apologies for repeating.

Knead your dough to temp in the winter I aim for 23c and summer about 21c as a minimum the knead time is about 15 minutes in total (I use a spiral mixer and appreciate not everyone does). If you get to the temp a lot faster then put flour in the fridge before hand and using ice cold water will help to extend the knead time in hot conditions.

For the tomato sauce I just use peeled Italian tomatoes and run this through a moulin and add salt.

Best cheese to use is Fior de latte.

Fresh yeast is best and I tend to use soft water or mineral water.

Balling your dough if you are balling say anywhere from 4 hours or less to first pizza then you don’t want to ball the dough too tight anything greater than 6 you would ball the dough a lot tighter.

Hope the above helps someone, keep up the pizza making.

Here’s a photo of one I made a while back on a Effeuno.

Last edited by Lauting; 29th April 2023 at 07:22.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Pizza party today!

70% hydration.

I don't know how you do it. Last time I tried a pizza last year I tried 63% and that was sticky as hell. How do you get them balls so perfect which looks like no flour on them at all?
    Then how do you get them out the tubs? I take it after proofing they all go flatter and touch each other?

I don't use flour when handling the dough. If you properly stretch and fold, the dough sticks only minimally.

Yes, they go flat. To take them out, I sprinkle them with rice flour and then take them out with a spatula, dropping them into a bowl with rice flour. From there, everything is easy.

I don't use flour when handling the dough. If you properly stretch and fold, the dough sticks only minimally.

Yes, they go flat. To take them out, I sprinkle them with rice flour and then take them out with a spatula, dropping them into a bowl with rice flour. From there, everything is easy.
    Rice flour? Interesting I may need to try that. I'm using semolina but there is a fine balance between using enough and using too much as it tends to burn and impart a gritty quality and also it stays on the stone so following pizzas get it on the underside.

Rice flour? Interesting I may need to try that. I'm using semolina but there is a fine balance between using enough and using too much as it tends to burn and impart a gritty quality and also it stays on the stone so following pizzas get it on the underside.
    That's a debate as long as this thread.

Let me say: two opinions exist of what's better suited - semolina or rice flour. Let's not go there, a lot of people will be hurt.

That's a debate as long as this thread.

Let me say: two opinions exist of what's better suited - semolina or rice flour. Let's not go there, a lot of people will be hurt.
    Ah yes I searched online and see what you mean! And to complicate it further some people advocate a 50/50 mix of the 2!

How about a rice equivalent of semolina on the peel - maybe grind some rice down to a very coarse flour?

Guys. If you prove dough for 40 hours, make a fresh tomato sauce with San Marzano tomatoes, get in buffalo Mozzarella, all this for a visiting friend - and then they ask if you can make them a pizza with pineapple and also use ketchup instead of tomato sauce because they 'don't like the texture of tomatoes' how do you stop yourself from repeatedly hitting them over the head with the peel?

Asking for a friend.

Guys. If you prove dough for 40 hours, make a fresh tomato sauce with San Marzano tomatoes, get in buffalo Mozzarella, all this for a visiting friend - and then they ask if you can make them a pizza with pineapple and also use ketchup instead of tomato sauce because they 'don't like the texture of tomatoes' how do you stop yourself from repeatedly hitting them over the head with the peel?

Asking for a friend.
    How big is your pizza oven?

how do you stop yourself from repeatedly hitting them over the head with the peel?

Asking for a friend.
    You don't. Just let go of your anger, they deserve it.

Think I am going to go for a gas oven to get me going again with this hobby.
    Any Gozney owners?
    I have bought one with the stand and a bunch of accessories The old Weber peel wasn't going to cut it. Only made 12 pizzas so far, so the cost per pizza is around £200.

It seems great so far. I probably cooked too early on my first try, and the base wasn't quite hot enough. Pizzas were still good, but the bases didn't get much colour. The second time I gave it another 5 minutes and they were great. A big step up from the Weber gas BBQ + stone which couldn't generate the heat.

The quality of the Gozney seems outstanding. Even the boxes and instructions shows how well thought out the product is. It comes with unboxing instructions and even a box cutter to do it properly. The stand is a beast and super heavy, but it all fits together so well.

I haven't used the wood fired option, but the gas heats the oven up in 15-20 minutes and produces a great product. The gas pilot light takes a while to ignite for some reason - not a one click process like a weber. It also takes up to 2.5 hours before it gets cool enough that I feel safe to put the cover back on. Even then the stone is pretty warm to the touch.

Other pizza ovens will give a similar quality output, but they don't ever look are nicely finished as the Gozney. I spent a lot of time researching others before buying this one and I don't regret it.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by guinea View Post
    I have bought one with the stand and a bunch of accessories The old Weber peel wasn't going to cut it. Only made 12 pizzas so far, so the cost per pizza is around £200.

It seems great so far. I probably cooked too early on my first try, and the base wasn't quite hot enough. Pizzas were still good, but the bases didn't get much colour. The second time I gave it another 5 minutes and they were great. A big step up from the Weber gas BBQ + stone which couldn't generate the heat.

The quality of the Gozney seems outstanding. Even the boxes and instructions shows how well thought out the product is. It comes with unboxing instructions and even a box cutter to do it properly. The stand is a beast and super heavy, but it all fits together so well.

I haven't used the wood fired option, but the gas heats the oven up in 15-20 minutes and produces a great product. The gas pilot light takes a while to ignite for some reason - not a one click process like a weber. It also takes up to 2.5 hours before it gets cool enough that I feel safe to put the cover back on. Even then the stone is pretty warm to the touch.

Other pizza ovens will give a similar quality output, but they don't ever look are nicely finished as the Gozney. I spent a lot of time researching others before buying this one and I don't regret it.
    Thanks for the thoughtful reply. I ended up just ordering the Ooni again yesterday as it was just too much of an unknown with the Gozney. I have had an Ooni before and so I know what I am getting.

Always been tempted by the Gozney, but wasn't to be.
    Last edited by Boss13; 3rd May 2023 at 21:17.

Gozney looks very nice. Maybe they give a discount if you don't insist on the box cutter?

£200 per pizza can't be much more than the average London price for authentic pizza?

Master

Asking for a friend.
    RyanB we need to see your pizzas man, post some pics.

RyanB we need to see your pizzas man, post some pics.
    OK I'll post some tomorrow. I started a prove at around 4pm this afternoon and it should be ready by around 7.30pm tomorrow. Tiny amount of yeast, room temperature prove so this will slowly expand to be enough for 5 pizzas tomorrow evening .

Master
    OK I'll post some tomorrow. I started a prove at around 4pm this afternoon and it should be ready by around 7.30pm tomorrow. Tiny amount of yeast, room temperature prove so this will slowly expand to be enough for 5 pizzas tomorrow evening .
    The pressure is on!!!

Master
    My biscotto stone has finally started it’s journey to me. Am sensing it will arrive ahead of my perfect draft beer kegs, which yodel have still not collected from the goods out warehouse.

My biscotto stone has finally started it’s journey to me. Am sensing it will arrive ahead of my perfect draft beer kegs, which yodel have still not collected from the goods out warehouse.
    Hope it gets to you in one piece. Delicate little buggers, they are.

More than halfway through the prove. The slow fermentation process really adds great flavour and actually this 27 hour prove is a relatively 'quick' one - more than 36 hours gives the best flavour.

Sadly I still don't have the stretching skills of some of you on this thread so it's still a bit of a case of 'all the gear and no idea' but I hope practice makes perfect (or if not perfect then better than the present at least!)

You may want to look at this (not how I do it, but it works - even though I would leave the oil away):

And this is how you stretch the dough to a pizza:

You may want to look at this (not how I do it, but it works - even though I would leave the oil away):

And this is how you stretch the dough to a pizza:

Yep thanks, have followed many instructions but as yet my hands aren't synced up with my brain properly

Master
    Hope it gets to you in one piece. Delicate little buggers, they are.
    Yeah it’s my biggest concern. Am sure it will land in the UK whole and then no doubt Evri or Yodel will get their mitts on it!

Master
    Yep thanks, have followed many instructions but as yet my hands aren't synced up with my brain properly
    I find the stretching the hardest and most stressful part, sometimes it’s great & other times it is shocking. I need to practice more.

OK so as anticipated I messed up the stretch, arriving at a rugby ball shaped pizza however very very tasty and a nice airy crust

I see you are not overloading your pizzas, that's good. Three quarters of my pizzas are Margheritas. I bet you enjoyed these.

PS: What did you do with the corpse of the ketchup guy?