closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Giro d'Italia 2018

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Congratulations Froome!

Another tough battle today and Dumoulin sure tried.

Quote Originally Posted by MakeColdplayHistory View Post
    I hope it is but it's as good as finished, isn't it?
    Obviously unexpected things can happen in three hilly days but Yates looks to me like he's in good enough form to 'man mark' the front.
    Quote Originally Posted by MakeColdplayHistory View Post
    Where's the challenge going to come from?
    Dumoulin? Had his chance today.
    Froome? Not this year.
    Pozzovivo? Maybe.
    I do understand that on any one of those hills, if it goes wrong for him, it could go badly wrong.
    But as I said... I just don't see it.
    And that, ladies and gentlemen, is why I don't bet on cycling or any other sport.

What a superb Giro it's been this year.
    Congratulations to Froome
    Congratulations and happy birthday to Nieve
    Commiserations to Dumoulin - rode every day like a champion.

Yates will have gained some fans with his efforts, im sure it’s not the last we will see of him.

In post 18 of this thread I posted the following:

'Chris Froome clearly not going to win this event this year.'

As said above, it's why I am also not a gambler, period! Chapeau Chris Froome. Simon Yates is clearly one for the next few years. Fascinating three weeks racing.
    Last edited by Skier; 28th May 2018 at 08:45.

Simon Yates may have pushed himself over the limit in this GdI, but don't forget that he placed 7th in the GC and took the Young rider classification in last year's TdF (link). He's definitely a rider to be reckoned with. I'm hoping his run of form continues for a good while to come.

Quote Originally Posted by PickleB View Post
    Simon Yates may have pushed himself over the limit in this GdI, but don't forget that he placed 7th in the GC and took the Young rider classification in last year's TdF (link). He's definitely a rider to be reckoned with. I'm hoping his run of form continues for a good while to come.
    Indeed. In a year or three and with the right team around him he could be the top dog. However many have tried and failed . . .
    F.T.F.A.

Blog Entries
    On a Dutch satirical site: "Be positive about it: Froome's fantastic victory brings back memories of other great names: Landis, Armstrong, Pantani..."

And THIS will always haunt him... Yesterday on the Col delle Fenistre...

Quote Originally Posted by PickleB View Post
    He’s only 25... he’s going to win a Grand Tour and it won’t be many years away.
    He was forced into racing really hard in the first two weeks because of that second TT. Leading a Grand Tour is a massive responsibility and puts a real burden on the rider and his team... Maybe Simon Yates isn’t quite ready yet and maybe his team isn’t quite strong enough but it’ll come.
    I think they put this down as a massive learning experience probably coming a year or two earlier than planned in Yates’ career.

Quote Originally Posted by thieuster View Post
    On a Dutch satirical site: "Be positive about it: Froome's fantastic victory brings back memories of other great names: Landis, Armstrong, Pantani..."

And THIS will always haunt him... Yesterday on the Col delle Fenistre...
    I've cycled all of my life and competed in athletics. I've had a salbutamol inhaler for some years now, you could take a new refill and ingest the whole lot in one go but the body will only retain a certain amount and secrete the excess. I seem to go slower and become heavier! If people are to have their records, money, credibility etc etc taken away then it should happen to all riders and not just high profile scapegoats. Did Greg Lemond really win clean? Stephen Roche, Miguel Indurain? Hmmm . . .
    F.T.F.A.

Blog Entries
    One of our most famous sports presenters used to say “just don’t bother and let everybody use, at least you have an honest race that way”.

Chapeau Froome!
    Got a new watch, divers watch it is, had to drown the bastard to get it!

Blog Entries
    I used to think the same: just go ahead. That was before I had a kid who's trying to become an Olympic athlete. Next year, when he's still performing like this, he has to fill in 'whereabouts' for unexpected doping controls. I've changed my mind. You need to be as clean as a whistle. If not, it's cheating - or worse.

Great finish by Bennett

Congratulations to Froome on a Stella performance. Hopefully we will see something truly historic this season - a grand slam.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Giro d'Italia 2018

Quote Originally Posted by Andyg View Post
    Congratulations to Froome on a Stella performance. Hopefully we will see something truly historic this season - a grand slam.

The Stella performance is yours. Of the Artois type, no doubt.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MrSmith View Post
    Great finish by Bennett
    Congratulations to Sam Bennett!

Back in 2013 I was training in Tenerife & was going fairly hard up Mt. Teide, the biggest continuous climb in Europe in terms of feet climbed. Over 7000ft. I was slowly catching a guy in front who was wearing an An Post jersey. I didn't want to put on a big spurt to go past him because I didn't want to blow up & suffer the humiliation of being re-passed. Anyway, I caught him up just by sticking to my pace. We rode along together, side by side. He had an Irish accent & it slowly dawned on me that he was a pro, & raced for An Post. He was talking about maybe being selected for the Tour of Britain so I knew he must be pretty handy. As the fatigue began to set in for me, he seemed to be unaffected. I'm not sure whether he was slowly upping the pace or whether it just felt like that. I was mentally ticking off every kilometre, telling myself that I'd just try & hang on until the next one, & then kept doing it again & again. When we got to the top I remember an exhilarating brief descent sat on his wheel, overtaking some cars, before he turned off & I carried on to the cable car station. Before we parted company he told me his name was Sam Bennett.

I put my ride on Strava, as always, & found that, at the time, I had got the KOM for Teide segment. Nearly 7000ft climbing over 20 miles in under 2 hours https://www.strava.com/activities/41...ents/688725037 I'd have been a bit slower if I'd gone up at my own pace.
    Last edited by trident-7; 27th May 2018 at 22:44. Reason: link will only work if you're logged into Strava

Send him a tweet. He may remember you.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Haha, I remember he said I was pretty good...for my age. Cheeky sod!

Well done CF, I bet they still don't knight him