closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Giro d'Italia 2018

Giro d'Italia 2018

As the 101st Giro d'Italia starts today (in Jerusalem, obviously) and Chris Froome attempts to join Merckx and Hinault in holding all three Grand Tour wins at the same time, I thought we might have a thread about it.

Shamelessly pinched from the Giro's rather snazzy website, here are the numbers:
    3,562.9 KM TOTAL ROUTE
    169.7 KM EACH DAY AVERAGE
    2 INDIVIDUAL TIME TRIAL
    7 STAGES FOR SPRINTERS
    6 MEDIUM DIFFICULTY STAGES
    6 HIGH DIFFICULTY STAGES

Sadly work will get in the way of watching it this afternoon but TTs are sometimes better suited to highlights viewing anyway.

Master
    Yes, not only would Froome be in the select club of riders who have all 3 GT titles (Nibali being the only other current rider with such a palmares), but he'd have won 3 consecutive GTs.

Such a feat would make him the GT rider of his generation.

Contador and Nibali the only ones in the same tier.

I like Froome very much and find all the vitriol he receives saddening, as he's a very pleasant guy who never gets ruffled. Many others could learn from his dignified approach and attitude (like that plonker Wiggins for a start).
    Last edited by ach5; 4th May 2018 at 12:45. Reason: spellin

Blog Entries
    Tom Dumoulin! The prologue was in my town two years ago where he won the first stage as well! And then last year! Great! My money is on Tom D.

Journeyman
    Stunning ride from pozzovivo today. Where did that come from?!

Sent from my [device_name] using TZ-UK mobile app

Spinters' Day today.
    Congrats to Viviani

I used to love watching the TDF and others when on tv, however the last 10 years of doping offences and people coming out of the woodwork now has just created doubt for me when I watch anyone doing something special to win a leg, shame...

Blog Entries
    True, but never the less, it's fun to watch.

About Dumoulin: he graduated from the highest form of A-level education when he was 17 and had the idea of going to the Medical University. However, about 10/11 yrs ago, there was only a limited access to med school. His application wasn't granted and during the summer holiday he picked up cycling as a hobby. He was spotted by some guys from Rabo and within a year, he was in the Rabo youth squad!

He always said that he doesn't want to have the pink jersey every day. It puts on a load of pressure.

Menno

Well that was another forgettable stage but at least the Giro is on its way back to Italia now.

Quote Originally Posted by MakeColdplayHistory View Post
    Well that was another forgettable stage but at least the Giro is on its way back to Italia now.

I've never really understood that why, assuming that Israel paid a ton of cash to host the Giro, they would put on such dull stages... It's as if they're advertising the condition of their motorways.

Master
    I have been focused on the Tour de Yorkshire for the last few days, but can now turn my attention to The Giro.

Looking forward to it now that it has entered Italy.

Pete

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ptcoll View Post
    I have been focused on the Tour de Yorkshire for the last few days, but can now turn my attention to The Giro.

Pete
    Me too ! Yorkshire looked so nice in the sun and with the big crowds to cheer them on.. Giro highlights are being shown on Quest - Freeview channel 37, at 7pm every night..

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by ptcoll View Post

Pete
    Me too! I cycled up Park Rash and then on to watch it in ilkley on friday and saw it again on Sunday. Stunning racing in brilliant weather. It's becoming a big annual street party around here!

Journeyman
    Excited for etna tomorrow! Froome has a lot to prove, Yates send on great form and it wouldn't be a giro climb without a suicide Aru attack and blow-up.

I've been foiled by work and highlights times so far but I'm working from home tomorrow so will catch up on yesterday and today before the big one tomorrow.

Slowly catching up... currently 10km from the summit of Etna.

Master
    Caught the giro when it was in NI a few years back. Am ambivalent about such events being outside the country which it is supposed to be touring. Is it just me?

Journeyman
    Brilliant video from the mitchelton Scott team: https://youtu.be/iJXcmsRc8AE

What a day!

Great to see Simon Yates doing so well, he really does look good. Chris Froome clearly not going to win this event this year, however, if I was to be cynical I would say that it's probably a smart move on Team Sky's part given the salbutamol cloud hanging over Froome right now.

Journeyman
    Gutted for chaves today - such a shame! I think the case has probably had a big effect on froome psychologically and think he's cost but not 100% yet. Give it a week...

Chapeau Simon Yates - again!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Skier View Post
    Great to see Simon Yates doing so well, he really does look good. Chris Froome clearly not going to win this event this year, however, if I was to be cynical I would say that it's probably a smart move on Team Sky's part given the salbutamol cloud hanging over Froome right now.
    RCS Sport must be livid. Paid Froome a fortune to show up and make a good fist of the concurrent Grand Slam then he admits he’s conditioning for July. Cynical and Team Sky is spot on.
    Big fan of Mitchelton Scott over the years and great to see Yates making steady progress.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by lughugger View Post
    RCS Sport must be livid. Paid Froome a fortune to show up and make a good fist of the concurrent Grand Slam then he admits he’s conditioning for July. Cynical and Team Sky is spot on.
    Big fan of Mitchelton Scott over the years and great to see Yates making steady progress.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Apparently Sky were well aware of the Salbutamol case (which wasn't in the public domain) as they were negotiating with RCS on Froome's appearance fee. Bellino (I think that's his name) wasn't very impressed. Combine that with a rather lackluster performance and they've definitely not got value for money from Sky.

I'd be surprised if Froome was ever fully focused on the Giro... holding three Grand Tours at once is special but the significance is only really understood by cycling fans... winning 5 Tours is much more mainstream.

Master
    BBC5 has a great podcast - Bespoke Weekly

Worth a listen. That first crash did Froome no favours but fair play for staying the course (so far). Prob reminds him that success should never be taken for granted. For the team they are having a good time in California. Froomes TdF team may well be shaping up there.

Quote Originally Posted by Meesterbond View Post
    I'd be surprised if Froome was ever fully focused on the Giro... holding three Grand Tours at once is special but the significance is only really understood by cycling fans... winning 5 Tours is much more mainstream.
    We may be saying the same thing here but I too doubt he was ever "fully focussed" on the Giro. I do think though he was there to win it but with the TdF as his main goal this year.

Let's not take anything away from Yates and his great performances so far, though. Has he got enough time over Dumoulin yet?

We may be saying the same thing here but I too doubt he was ever "fully focussed" on the Giro. I do think though he was there to win it but with the TdF as his main goal this year.

Let's not take anything away from Yates and his great performances so far, though. Has he got enough time over Dumoulin yet?

I agree. He never goes into the tour at peak condition, preferring to ride himself into the third week but despite the 'bad luck', he's not looked close to where he'd need to be to be in contention here. I guess an amazing TT and then something very special in 18, 19 or 20 might put him back up there but it doesn't look likely at the moment.

Yates has been fantastic so far but he needs another minute or ideally two on Dumoulin. He's a very decent TTer but over a mildly sporting route like stage 16, Dumoulin should destroy him. That said, it's the Zoncolan on Saturday. Just looking at the route map makes my legs hurt.

Are RCS Sport getting their money's worth yet? Chris Froome fights back:

Froome attacked with 4km remaining on the steep final ascent and was able to hold off race leader Simon Yates to claim victory.

Yates finished six seconds back on Froome after also making a move from the other GC contenders with 3 km to go in pursuit of his compatriot, ultimately taking the six second time bonus on the line and extending his overall lead.

Brutal stage yesterday with Froome, Yates and Dumoulin getting something out of it.

As an aside, can we have 'The Juan and only' Flecha doing all interviews for every sports event?

Master
    The race is now perfectly poised.

Has Froome got his form back, and how much time can he put into Yates on the TT stage ?

Can Yates keep performing at the same level for the next week.

Will Dumoulin blow up on a mountain stage like he has in the past ?

Can't wait.

Pete

Master
    No, Froome hasn't got his form back. Can Yates keep the form? We'll see by Saturday.

Blog Entries
    Tom Dumoulin was impressed by Yates' attack on the col and his victory. "He's playing with us!" According to T.D on Dutch TV.

Menno

Blog Entries
    Going to be an exciting finish, 2.11 is a lot in the time trial, even for Dumoulin.
    Great battle between him and Yates though.
    Got a new watch, divers watch it is, had to drown the bastard to get it!

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Daddelvirks View Post
    Going to be an exciting finish, 2.11 is a lot in the time trial, even for Dumoulin.
    Great battle between him and Yates though.
    Yates is within a minute and Froome just that bit further off.
    Looks like an interesting week ahead.

Quote Originally Posted by Huertecilla View Post
    Looks like an interesting week ahead.
    I hope it is but it's as good as finished, isn't it?
    Obviously unexpected things can happen in three hilly days but Yates looks to me like he's in good enough form to 'man mark' the front.

Blog Entries
    Dumoulin was -again- very honest about it: "I am as fit as can be; even in better shape than last year. But Yates is simply better this Giro!"

I think he's focussing on keeping Froome away from him.

I hope it is but it's as good as finished, isn't it?
    Obviously unexpected things can happen in three hilly days but Yates looks to me like he's in good enough form to 'man mark' the front.

This Giro’s only just got going...
    Yates had to hit the first two weeks pretty hard to ensure he wasn’t out of touch after the TT but there’s a ton of climbing left. There’s no telling how much it’s all taken out of him.
    Tomorrow could be one for the breakaway but three summit finishes on Thursday, Friday and Saturday and that minute lead could vanish really quickly...

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Yates had to hit the first two weeks pretty hard to ensure he wasn’t out of touch after the TT but there’s a ton of climbing left. There’s no telling how much it’s all taken out of him.
    Tomorrow could be one for the breakaway but three summit finishes on Thursday, Friday and Saturday and that minute lead could vanish really quickly...
    My thoughts exactly.

I just don't see it, particularly if Yates gets an easy day tomorrow.
    Where's the challenge going to come from?
    Dumoulin? Had his chance today.
    Froome? Not this year.
    Pozzovivo? Maybe.
    I do understand that on any one of those hills, if it goes wrong for him, it could go badly wrong.
    But as I said... I just don't see it.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    I really hope Yates goes on to win in style.

He has ridden brilliantly so far, but as was posted above, there are still three hard days to come. As long as he doesn't have a bad day or bad luck he should have enough in hand.

Blog Entries
    The race isn’t over yet, but my guess (and money) go to Yates. He didn’t show any weakness yet and still seems to be in tip top shape. I just don’t see Dumoulin getting rid of him in the last climbs, Yates is king of the mountains this Giro.

Craftsman
    I'm really hoping he can hold on. He seems in great form and the next few days will suit him.

I do hope Yates can hold on - not least because he’s in my fantasy Giro team and I’m currently running third!

He’s got the advantage of a pretty strong team too... now Chaves is out of the GC reckoning he’s got a really strong ally for the next few stages. The interesting thing will be how Yates rides as he seems to like to attack and he’ll need to keep that in check - the attacks are going to come thick and fast from the rest of the top 10 and he’ll need to be sensible about which ones he goes with.

Really looking forward to Friday afternoon... I’ve got a feeling that the gravel on the Colle Della Fenestra could be telling and Sunweb / Sky will look to isolate Yates for the final two climbs.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by weedram View Post
    He has ridden brilliantly so far, but as was posted above, there are still three hard days to come. As long as he doesn't have a bad day or bad luck he should have enough in hand.
    I do not agree withe the latter. A minute is nothing on a climb and there are still three hard days to come. Yates will still nee to continue to shine with great efforts.
    He has justly won a LOT of respect but no the Giro just that. If he does it is even more awesome for such a young rider.

Hmmm... not quite ready to eat my hat yet but looking for recipes.

Blog Entries
    Only 28 seconds left of his lead over Dumoulin. nail biting till the end!

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Daddelvirks View Post
    Only 28 seconds left of his lead over Dumoulin. nail biting till the end!
    and two heavy duty climbing stages to go.

Looks like Dumoulin holds the strongest hand but a few minutes evaporate just like that on those climbs, especially at the closing of a three weeks killer event. Nevertheless I thought Dumoulin looked just a wee bit more convincing than Froome.

By NO means counting out Yates and he does deserve a favorite's role but it he has made an extraordinary effort sofar already and the former two have more experience and depth do delve from.

Yes, thrilling till the end it promises to be!

Blog Entries
    On Twitter:

Amusing fact: Tom Dumoulin actually was 4 seconds faster than Simon Yates till now, if you discount the bonus seconds

Master
    If Dumoulin was going to take any time out of Yates, then it was going to be today, with its less steep climb(s).

The next 2 days see some much harder climbs, which in theory should suit Yates more (and Froome of course).

It's going to be a fascinating 2 days.

Pete

I think Yates showed his inexperience a little today - chasing after Dumoulin when he went as Froome just waited and span his way back, then as Yates looked over his left shoulder, Froome attacked on his right... After going deep into the red to catch Dumoulin he didn’t have the legs to go with Froome.

I do agree that today’s climb was better for Dumoulin than the next two days will be but Yates will need some help. If he’s on his own with the other GC contenders after the Fenestre then he could have a bit problem.

Blog Entries
    Tom was on Dutch TV again. He said that this was the first day that Yates showed a hint of weakness and that he (Dumoulin) felt better than the previous days. So he thought "Why not. This is the moment!"

Menno

I think we are in for a serious couple of days till Sunday. Yates will prefer the ground but Dumoulin has the scent now, could go down to the wire.
    J