closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: A complete watch.

Threaded View

Thomas Reid

Re: A complete watch.

Here's the printing. As I said, I just wanted to see what these patterns looked like when actually printed. So, the print result isn't very good. (In particular, I didn't worry about getting the image centered, or preparing the substrate properly --- it is just spray primer). I'm documenting the test as much as possible, rather than the actual printing (when I do it), as it matters less if I interrupt to take pictures etc. When I print the actual dial, I'll document just the things that I do differently, e.g., register the print on the dial.

Here's the pad printer I use. It is completely manual. Indeed, I took off the bits that where useful for increasing the production rate.

Here are the supplies I need. Winsor and Newton's Griffin paint and Liquin additive. These are alkyd based. That speeds drying, and helps with sticking to the pad.

Here's one of the plates placed in the printer.

Another angle.

I put some paint and Liquin on a bit of acetate, which I use as a disposable mixing surface.

Mix it up well.

Smear it on the plate. Some goes in the etched areas.

The doctor blade is used to scrape off the excess paint.

The only ink left is in the etched area.

The pad is positioned over the image on the plate. The lever is pressed down and the ink is picked up from the etched area.

The ink is now on the pad.

I took the pad off the printer, so that you can see this more clearly.

The pad is pulled forward on rails, and positioned over the substrate.

Then the lever is pushed down, and the ink transfers from the pad to the substrate.

And, here is the result.

And the pity of it all is that I've still not decided whether the markers are too strong, i.e., whether I'll go for the pattern on the left (weak markers) or the pattern on the right (strong markers).

Best wishes,
    Bob

PS. I've decided to go with the weaker markers, i.e., the one on the left.
    RLF
    Last edited by rfrazier; 9th November 2014 at 03:12.