closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Bargain 8x42 Bausch & Lomb 8x42 Binocular

Bargain pro quality binocular - see 13 July entry

https://www.lcegroup.co.uk/Used/Baus...42_208958.html

… in the 1980s these were considered equal to if not better than Leitz (Leica ) binos

Above model is old but well worth the £99.99 asking price I have the Elite 10x42 model of similar vintage

Check Ffordes s/h B&L 10x42 Elite price http://www.ffordes.com/product/17110618123781

LCE Gloucester has considerably undervalued their vintage B&L offering . These are far superior to current budget price Chinese binos - especially as regards build quality

dunk
    Last edited by sundial; 4th January 2021 at 13:05.
    "Well they would say that ... wouldn't they!"

Craftsman
    Wow, that is good. I’ve had a pair for many years. They are a tad heavy but the optics and quality are superb. Plus they can focus right down to a couple of meters, something my Swarovski’s can’t do. Fantastic bargain for anybody in the market

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Dull working order
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    Dull working order
    I noticed that too...

Just a typo … s/b 'full' Whoever buys them will have a superb binocular which will outlast today's mass produced Chinese offerings … the B&L Elite models were made in Japan And yes, they're known for their close focus ability. I'm almost talking myself into buying them … ideal for astro-observing.

dunk
    Last edited by sundial; 3rd May 2018 at 18:17.

Craftsman
    Go for it, you will not be disappointed and the price is the icing on the cake

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Blog Entries
    What are these cheap Chinese ones that have been referred to? I fancy some binoculars for some air shows and maybe star gazing if possible.

Quote Originally Posted by sprite1275 View Post
    What are these cheap Chinese ones that have been referred to? I fancy some binoculars for some air shows and maybe star gazing if possible.
    There are lots of Chinese manufactured budget priced binoculars selling for £25 to £75 … of all apertures and magnifications. Consider that the manufacturer, the importer and the retailer all have to sell at a profit … thus the original manufacturing cost is likely less than £15 … and often less than £10. And they are mostly made in two enormous Chinese factories … and most are 'badge engineered' … i.e. the same binoculars are available with several different manufacturers' model and brand names.

A binocular is in effect two telescopes hinged together side by side … comprising: a pair of achromat objective lenses, a pair of roof prisms or porro prisms (to compress the length of the telescope), and a pair of multi element eyepieces … all of which require coating &/or multi-coating … and maybe (if you're lucky) roof prism phase coating, … and they require assembly into a binocular chassis/body with perfect collimation for a decent image … Add the packaging cost and the shipping … and also factor in the cost of very variable quality control …. And that is a budget price Chinese binocular.

Sometimes they're OK … sometimes not so OK … But from the outside in the dealer's cabinet they all look OK and have fancy names. It's not possible to design and manufacture a good quality binocular (i.e. two telescopes side by side) which costs £10 to £15 to manufacture and which has: perfect collimation, no astigmatism, no coma, no chromatic aberration and a decent wide field of view.. For £10 to £15 something(s) has to give … and what gives first is Q.A. … quality in the broad sense of the word varies considerably. You might be lucky to get a reasonable binocular … but compare it to a high end model and you'll see the difference. Unfortunately few buyers appreciate this and as long as they see a magnified image they are happy . A serious observer will consider all the factors which contribute to a relaxed and pleasing observing experience over relatively long periods of time e.g. sitting in a hide for several hours.

Its a bit like comparing a cheap Chinese throwaway watch with a proper timepiece you can be proud to wear and cherish

You pay your money … and you get what you pay for.

dunk
    Last edited by sundial; 3rd May 2018 at 22:51.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sundial View Post
    There are lots of Chinese manufactured budget priced binoculars selling for £25 to £75 … of all apertures and magnifications. Consider that the manufacturer, the importer and the retailer all have to sell at a profit … thus the original manufacturing cost is likely less than £15 … and often less than £10. And they are mostly made in two enormous Chinese factories … and most are 'badge engineered' … i.e. the same binoculars are available with several different manufacturers' model and brand names.

A binocular is in effect two telescopes hinged together side by side … comprising: a pair of achromat objective lenses, a pair of roof prisms or porro prisms (to compress the length of the telescope), and a pair of multi element eyepieces … all of which require coating &/or multi-coating … and maybe (if you're lucky) roof prism phase coating, … and they require assembly into a binocular chassis/body with perfect collimation for a decent image … Add the packaging cost and the shipping … and also factor in the cost of very variable quality control …. And that is a budget price Chinese binocular.

Sometimes they're OK … sometimes not so OK … But from the outside in the dealer's cabinet they all look OK and have fancy names. It's not possible to design and manufacture a good quality binocular (i.e. two telescopes side by side) which costs £10 to £15 to manufacture and which has: perfect collimation, no astigmatism, no coma, no chromatic aberration and a decent wide field of view.. For £10 to £15 something(s) has to give … and what gives first is Q.A. … quality in the broad sense of the word varies considerably. You might be lucky to get a reasonable binocular … but compare it to a high end model and you'll see the difference. Unfortunately few buyers appreciate this and as long as they see a magnified image they are happy . A serious observer will consider all the factors which contribute to a relaxed and pleasing observing experience over relatively long periods of time e.g. sitting in a hide for several hours.

Its a bit like comparing a cheap Chinese throwaway watch with a proper timepiece you can be proud to wear and cherish

You pay your money … and you get what you pay for.

dunk
    Another interesting and very informative post from you dunk!

Soon sold … Did a TZ-er buy it?

dunk

Master
    Blog Entries

dunk
    I would of if I wasn't busy this morning. Thanks for the info above. What would you recommend for an air show? I would like to do a bit of star gazing also but wouldnt want something too big.

I would of if I wasn't busy this morning. Thanks for the info above. What would you recommend for an air show? I would like to do a bit of star gazing also but wouldnt want something too big.
    Before considering purchase of any binocular, potential buyers should really study YouTube videos to learn how to set up a binocular properly and familiarise themselves with the terminology , e.g.: eye relief (important if wearing glasses), inter-ocular distance (how to adjust a binocular to obtain a perfectly circular image), exit pupil (ratio of objective aperture divided by magnification) … can save ££lots if contemplating e.g. a 10x70 bino which few observers can take advantage of and which is usually far too bright for daytime use … and diopter adjustment (very necessary to optimise the binocular 3D image).

My 'heads up' was really aimed at those who understand all the above and who would know what they are buying.

For airshows, try any quality 8x40 or 8x32 . If you want more magnification try 10x40 but it will likely prove to have a too 'shaky' image unless image stabilised . And make sure the binocular chosen has a fairly wide field of view.

Try before you buy is the golden rule unless you're an experienced binocular enthusiast.

Consider attending e.g. UK Bird Fair 2018 in August where there are many dealers offering lots of binoculars … and where potential buyers can try them … and where there is usually a good selection of secondhand instruments.

And consider browsing through good dealers online s/h stock lists … a good s/h quality binocular will likely prove to be a better buy than a cheapo new budget price Chinese job.

https://www.cleyspy.co.uk/used-equipment.html http://www.ffordes.com/category/Bino...s/Other_Brands

And look in charity shops where there are often bargain priced binoculars priced at less than £20 … but avoid any where it's possible to wobble the eyepieces assembly.

And avoid any 'fixed focus' binoculars and any zoom binoculars … it's very difficult to perfectly collimate any zoom binocular and many repairers refuse to work on them.

For stargazing any binocular will suffice but depends on which astro phenomena you wish to observe . Consider buying the book 'Stargazing with Binoculars' which will tell you just about all you need to know

https://www.ebay.co.uk/p/Philips-Sta...7754051&crdt=0

Best wishes

dunk
    Last edited by sundial; 4th May 2018 at 11:34.

What's the quality, and usability, like of ex-military binoculars? These come up often enough on eBay and don't seem overly expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by SimonK View Post
    What's the quality, and usability, like of ex-military binoculars? These come up often enough on eBay and don't seem overly expensive.
    There are so many it's not easy to generalise but if they were /are good enough for military use they can be reasonable buys if in decent condition … and Surplus Shed in USA carries lots of spare parts for military instruments. Personally I've found Kershaw WW1 and WW2 6x mag binoculars to be excellent … I've bought two and use them regularly even though they have no coatings at all. At star parties I lend them to visitors and they're amazed at the image quality. Best to try them before buying and avoid any in poor condition or with fungused optics … fungus can be a frequent fault. My WW1 Kershaw is 100 years young :) Avoid 'fixed focus' military binoculars. Some of the giant military observation binoculars are collectable especially the good quality Russian models … but they are enormous … unfortunately some people buy them as patio ornaments.

dunk

Interesting, thanks for that.

dunk
    I've held back from posting anything in case I ran the risk of jinxing the purchase but LCE seem to be determined not to sell them to me so it doesn't matter. One of the most annoying online (attempted) purchases I can remember in a while. I attempted to copy in their CEO email address in the last email but that seems to have bounced back as undeliverable.

Thanks for your efforts Dunk, in any case.
    In the Sotadic Zone, apparently.

Quote Originally Posted by Carlton-Browne View Post
    I've held back from posting anything in case I ran the risk of jinxing the purchase but LCE seem to be determined not to sell them to me so it doesn't matter. One of the most annoying online (attempted) purchases I can remember in a while. I attempted to copy in their CEO email address in the last email but that seems to have bounced back as undeliverable.

I tried as well (but gave up rather quickly with the clunky contact mechanism). I thought they might be useful in the Galápagos.

I've not tried buying online from LCE but have regularly bought items by phoning their branches … when also obtained better condition reports and arranged delivery for a convenient day.

Best wishes

dunk

Quote Originally Posted by Carlton-Browne View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Curta View Post
    I tried as well (but gave up rather quickly with the clunky contact mechanism). I thought they might be useful in the Galápagos.
    Another bargain binocular …

This s/h Nikon 8x32 is a superb professional quality binocular … likely made c.2005

https://www.cleyspy.co.uk/nikon-hg-8x32-ref-70467.html

The ‘missing parts’ are the wing shaped Nikon name and model plates which should be fitted (glued on) adjacent to the centre hinge

Good reviews e.g.

https://www.birdforum.net/reviews/sh...php/product/62

Bargain binocular and likely better build quality and performance than equivalent Leica and Zeiss models of the same period.

And good close focus too.

I have the Nikon HG 8x42 version purchased s/h from FOCUS at Rutland Water where I compared them with equivalent and allegedly better and later, s/h Zeiss, Leica and Swarovski models … but found the Nikon HG 8x42 (with marked optics) was better than any of them … so I bought the Nikon for well over double the Cley Spy Nikon HG 8x32 s/h price.

8x32 = 4mm exit pupil which is fine for daylight and nocturnal use … especially as the Nikon HG 8x32 provides a brighter image than other manufacturers' equivalent models.

dunk
    Last edited by sundial; 16th May 2018 at 21:13.

Master
    Another bargain binocular …

This s/h Nikon 8x32 is a superb professional quality binocular … likely made c.2005

https://www.cleyspy.co.uk/nikon-hg-8x32-ref-70467.html

dunk
    Thanks for the heads up on those ;-)

I hope that the postie comes when SWMBO is out!

Cheers,

Nigel

Quote Originally Posted by engeew View Post
    Thanks for the heads up on those ;-)

I hope that the postie comes when SWMBO is out!

Cheers,

Nigel
    Bargain buy … good luck

I'm aware the are some forum members seeking decent high end binos so here's a couple more:

s/h Meopta Meostar B1 listed by Ffordes £499 http://www.ffordes.com/product/18050914135881

… Cley Spy list it new for £899 https://www.cleyspy.co.uk/meopta-b1-8x32.html

… has a reputation for matching high end Leica, Zeiss, Swarovski and Nikon models but at more reasonable price. I tried this model at Birdfair 2017 and it's superb with a 2m min. focus distance.

… and a Leica 10x42 BA listed at £399.99 by LCE and which would be approx 20 years young but likely has a Leica lifetime guarantee

https://www.lcegroup.co.uk/Used/Leic...BA_209935.html … 5* reviews https://www.allbinos.com/index.html?...ryzmat=0&sort= … but minimum close focus is 4.62 m which might be unsuitable for some applications

… and a T* coated Zeiss Dialyt 10x40 for just £275 from a reputable dealer https://www.harrisoncameras.co.uk/pd...s_used-1314636 … another 'golden oldie' with superb build quality … likely over 30 years old but they appear to be very little used … see dealer's reply to customer query. And Simon King likes them https://www.simonkingwildlife.com/zeiss/

History of Zeiss 10x40: https://www.allbinos.com/169.1-artic...42_models.html

dunk
    Last edited by sundial; 17th May 2018 at 16:18.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Ive been looking at binoculars then I remembered i had an old pair of bino's somewhere and after searching high and low i found these

Do you know much about them dunk? Ive googled but nothing comes up apart from there made in Australia. Only info i can see on them is habicht binoculars 14787 7x42. The coating on the lens seems a bit marked, they seem ok to look through although im not sure how the focusing works. They seem to be in focus in a curtain setting but if i try to zoom out or in it just goes blurred.

Ive been looking at binoculars then I remembered i had an old pair of bino's somewhere and after searching high and low i found these

Do you know much about them dunk? Ive googled but nothing comes up apart from there made in Australia. Only info i can see on them is habicht binoculars 14787 7x42. The coating on the lens seems a bit marked, they seem ok to look through although im not sure how the focusing works. They seem to be in focus in a curtain setting but if i try to zoom out or in it just goes blurred.
    :)

A few years ago I bought a very similar Swarovski Habicht porro binocular, made in Austria, for c.£300 … an excellent binocular

dunk
    Last edited by sundial; 17th May 2018 at 14:59.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Great. I might see if I can get them serviced if possible. Would love to know how old they are.

Great. I might see if I can get them serviced if possible. Would love to know how old they are.
    See:

Last edited by PickleB; 17th May 2018 at 18:57. Reason: add 4th bullet

Do they have a centre wheel focus or does each eyepiece require focusing separately? They may not require servicing… but you may need to find out how to set them up optimally to enable observing with a perfectly 3D circular image … to suit your eyes' particular inter-ocular distance. Your Habicht binocular is an ideal instrument for observing aircraft e.g. the Lancaster you've commented on.

dunk
    Last edited by sundial; 17th May 2018 at 21:00.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Some great info there thank you. By the looks of it there from 1944.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Do they have a centre wheel focus or does each eyepiece require focusing separately? They may not require servicing… but you may need to find out how to set them up optimally to enable observing with a perfectly 3D circular image … to suit your eyes' particular inter-ocular distance. Your Habicht binocular is an ideal instrument for observing aircraft e.g. the Lancaster you've commented on.

dunk
    There is a centre wheel for focus plus something on the right eye piece. Ill put some more photos up.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Not great photos

They look fine … no haze or mistiness i.e. clear optics … the right hand eyepiece adjustment is known as the 'diopter adjustment' . Assuming the optics are as clear as they appear in the photos, and the centre focus wheel moves smoothly and is not stiff, they likely do no need servicing. The binocular will not 'zoom' … it has fixed 7x magnification. Only zoom binoculars have adjustable i.e. zoom /variable focal lengths and most of them are not worth buying. To adjust your binocular for optimum imaging you firstly need to adjust the angle between the eyepieces to suit your own eyes so that a perfectly circular image is seen when eyepieces are placed in front of you eyes. Don't try and focus at this stage … just concentrate on adjusting the binocular hinge to obtain the circular image. If you cannot obtain a circular image they are 'out of collimation' and may need servicing . After obtaining the circular image by adjusting the the hinge / angle between the eyepieces, you can now adjust the focus. Close your right eye so that you're using only the LHS eyepiece and then focus using only your left eye via the centre focus wheel, on a distant subject e.g. a car number plate 50 yards distant down the street . After obtaining good focus, close the left eye and open the right eye … and see if the number plate or whatever other subject you've chosen, is in focus when looking through the RHS eyepiece. Chances are it will not be in perfect focus … keep the left eye closed whilst inspecting the RHS image. If not in focus, turn the RHS eyepiece 'diopter adjustment ' until the image snaps into focus … do not turn the centre wheel focus again … only turn the diopter adjustment on the RHS eyepiece. When the RHS eyepiece image is in best focus you can then open your left eye … whence you should be able to see a perfectly circular, three dimensional, perfectly focused, binocular image. Now that the RHS eyepiece has been adjusted you should be able to adjust the focus via the centre wheel for any distance … and without further RHS eyepiece diopter adjustment. Make a note of the actual RHS eyepiece diopter adjustment … it will be either a PLUS (+) or MINUS (-) setting … which will suit your eyes and can be set every time you use the binocular. You can mark the RHS eyepiece diopter correction setting with a piece of sticky tape to assist setting up the bino each time you use it. You have a very fine professional quality Swarovski porro prism binocular which should give you years of use with excellent imaging … provided it is set up optimally. Your instrument should be fine for astro observing … porro prism binos perform better than roof prism models for astro observing … try them for lunar observing. Never use binoculars for observing the Sun … to do so risks instant blindness.

dunk
    Last edited by sundial; 17th May 2018 at 23:48.

… and a T* coated Zeiss Dialyt 10x40 for just £275 from a reputable dealer https://www.harrisoncameras.co.uk/pd...s_used-1314636 … another 'golden oldie' with superb build quality … likely over 30 years old but they appear to be very little used … see dealer's reply to customer query. And Simon King likes them https://www.simonkingwildlife.com/zeiss/
    That's good enough for me. Thanks.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Superb thank you Dunk. I will have a go sometime today at setting them up. They certainly have a nice weight to them.

Superb views of Jupiter in the low SE sky these past couple nights. A half decent set of binoculars should be able to pick up on three or four of its larger moons, even from my street lit garden in Peterborough.

That's good enough for me. Thanks.
    A quick update to say that these did indeed prove to be excellent for our trip and I'm sure will see many more years of use. Many thanks to dunk for the tips here and by PM.

Here's another possible / potential, bargain pro quality binocular

https://www.lcegroup.co.uk/Used/Niko...G)_211865.html

I'm not familiar with Nikon 10x42 HD AG … it might be a typo and maybe should read HG which = HIGH GRADE

Going through all known Nikon binocular models http://www.hansbraakhuis.nl/Nikon/hi...binoculars.pdf … see 'Complete EXCEL list' and its abbreviation key footer (lines 601 - 625) … note there is no entry for HD AG … but I'm aware that AG was used for the pro quality Venturer series c. 1999 which weighed c. 1kg . If the AG appears on the focusing wheel logo underneath Nikon Japan then it's definitely a Venturer model … which is pro quality

If the binocular is in fact a Nikon HG or LX model the equivalent could have cost c. $1700 in 2004 (see line 486 on the spreadsheet … HG 10x42 model)

Could be worth a phone call to the dealer to confirm actual model reference … and if it's an HG or LX professional model would be a bargain buy at £299 … actual weight would also be a clue as to quality because if weighs c.1kg, could be indicative of heavy lead glass … i.e. pro quality optics

Other dealers list s/h Nikon HG 8x42 for c. £750 e.g. http://www.ffordes.com/product/16032216172281

dunk
    Last edited by sundial; 13th July 2018 at 12:05.

Here's another possible / potential, bargain pro quality binocular

https://www.lcegroup.co.uk/Used/Niko...G)_211865.html

I'm not familiar with Nikon 10x42 HD AG … it might be a typo and maybe should read HG which = HIGH GRADE

Going through all known Nikon binocular models http://www.hansbraakhuis.nl/Nikon/hi...binoculars.pdf … see 'Complete EXCEL list' and its abbreviation key footer (lines 601 - 625) … note there is no entry for HD AG … but I'm aware that AG was used for the pro quality Venturer series c. 1999 which weighed c. 1kg . If the AG appears on the focusing wheel logo underneath Nikon Japan then it's definitely a Venturer model … which is pro quality

If the binocular is in fact a Nikon HG or LX model the equivalent could have cost c. $1700 in 2004 (see line 486 on the spreadsheet … HG 10x42 model)

Could be worth a phone call to the dealer to confirm actual model reference … and if it's an HG or LX professional model would be a bargain buy at £299 … actual weight would also be a clue as to quality because if weighs c.1kg, could be indicative of heavy lead glass … i.e. pro quality optics

Other dealers list s/h Nikon HG 8x42 for c. £750 e.g. http://www.ffordes.com/product/16032216172281

dunk
    I have the 8x42 version of these from year 2000. Excellent, excellent optics and no mistake. One thing, they can come up rather heavy. Highly recommended if you can hold 10x still enough by hand and don't mind quite a heavy pair.

Price looks bang on to me, I bet they were about £1000 when they were new.

Quote Originally Posted by catch21 View Post
    I have the 8x42 version of these from year 2000. Excellent, excellent optics and no mistake. One thing, they can come up rather heavy. Highly recommended if you can hold 10x still enough by hand and don't mind quite a heavy pair.

Price looks bang on to me, I bet they were about £1000 when they were new.
    Just noticed another at LCE Bath https://www.lcegroup.co.uk/Used/Niko...G-_215777.html … they've likely copied the LCE Strand s/h price … the Bath example is definitely the HG (High Grade) professional model and is well worth the asking price … will outlast any 'modern' budget price Chinese binocular and out-perform them too … Need to use them to see/compare the difference in image/build quality … bit like comparing a Timex to an Omega … I'd have no hesitation in buying these if I needed a good 10x42 (subject to confirmation that collimation is perfect, no fungus present and no glass scratches / mistiness) … but they are both heavy instruments … The HG 10x42 would likely have cost $1700 when new … and they really are bullet-proof binoculars.

dunk
    Last edited by sundial; 14th July 2018 at 11:25.

I bought these, not sure I needed this level of quality, but couldn’t resist it. I got a bit extra off and free shipping. Overall the LCE experience was pretty good.

I haven’t used them in anger yet, but the image quality is good, the focus is very quick and there is certainly a weight of quality about them!!!

Thanks TZUK for getting me to buy something else I didn’t realise I needed!!!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by sjdavies47 View Post
    I bought these, not sure I needed this level of quality, but couldn’t resist it. I got a bit extra off and free shipping. Overall the LCE experience was pretty good.

I haven’t used them in anger yet, but the image quality is good, the focus is very quick and there is certainly a weight of quality about them!!!

Enjoy the binoculars … just in time to observe next Friday's Lunar Eclipse

https://www.forbes.com/sites/trevorn.../#686e87ca6c2a

dunk

Quote Originally Posted by sjdavies47 View Post

They are seriously some of the very best binoculars you can buy. With care they'll last a lifetime and I found Nikon aftercare (when I've lost a lens cap and and rubber piece off the end of my 8x32SE) superb. Sent me new ones, no cost.