closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Tudor Sub dial slipping...

Journeyman

Tudor Sub dial slipping...

Hi Chaps

I have a quick question that I hoping that someone with more knowledge might be able to help me with:

I have a 78 Tudor sub and I noticed something a bit odd the other day. In order to set the time I unscrewed and then pulled out the crown. When i pulled out the crown I saw the dial move almost imperceptibly. I thought I imagined it but it happened the next time I pulled out the crown too.

Is this normal? Has a fastener securing the movement become loose? Is this the sort of thing that I should be worried about?

Thanks for your help,

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Sandor View Post
    Hi Chaps

I have a quick question that I hoping that someone with more knowledge might be able to help me with:

I have a 78 Tudor sub and I noticed something a bit odd the other day. In order to set the time I unscrewed and then pulled out the crown. When i pulled out the crown I saw the dial move almost imperceptibly. I thought I imagined it but it happened the next time I pulled out the crown too.

Is this normal? Has a fastener securing the movement become loose? Is this the sort of thing that I should be worried about?

Thanks for your help,
    Its not normal, return to dealer.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Journeyman
    Thanks number2, I actually bought it from this forum several years ago and have not noticed it before. I suppose I know that this is not normal, but I’m wondering if for a 40yr old watch this is something you might see and what might be causing it?

40 years old, when was it last serviced?

Journeyman
    3 years ago it had a full service and has been worn sparingly since.....

Ok I suggest that you return it to whomever serviced it, as there should be no movement of the dial.

Grand Master
    Movement’s not secure in the case if that’s happening. I don’t know how these are fixed bit I’d expect it to have case clamps, small metal tabd screwed to the movement that locate into the case. When tightened to the movement they grip against the case and keep everything rigid. It’s likely that one or both have come loose, it can happen if a watch is subject to vibration.

Suggest you contact who serviced it and ask him to have a look, if a case clamp comes free the clamp and screw could cause damage.......not what you want!

Sometimes the case clamps are missing, sometimes the rhreads in the movement are damaged and the screw won’t bite. A consciensous repairer will sort these faults when a watch is serviced.

Paul

Paul
    Last edited by walkerwek1958; 2nd May 2018 at 22:11.

Journeyman
    Hi Paul, thanks for your reply and for being so helpful. That’s exactly the information I was after, it’s always nice to learn what might be causing these things. A trip back to repairer is definitely in order. Thanks again for your responses number2 and Paul.