closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Vauxhall lifetime warranty

Vauxhall lifetime warranty

My wife has owned a corsa limited edition from new (Sept 2013).

Sounded like a bearing was going the other week so booked it in to be looked at. Come back today to confirm it has and needs replacing but is classed as wear and tear so at her cost.

Is this right? The car has only done 22k. I’ve read conflicting info about what is and what isn’t covered so any advice would be appreciated. I was under the impression it would be covered under the drive train?

22k doesn’t sound normal. I’d try and speak to the service manager.

That seems an unusually low life span for a wheel bearing, and therefore you'd expect warranty or goodwill to cover it. I'm not sure that a wheel bearing is part of the drivetrain thouhg.

Some bearings will last the life of the car, others will last 5 years and 22k miles. Hit a few kerbs, take a few speed bumps too fast

I suppose you might get a 'goodwill' deal but bearings are normally classed as wear and tear items. You would have to prove that the bearing was faulty in the first place – letting in dirt and moisture so it corroded – which isn't going to be easy.

Is it made out of chocolate?

The only town in Britain with Caesar's name
    Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post
    Some bearings will last the life of the car, others will last 5 years and 22k miles. Hit a few kerbs, take a few speed bumps too fast

I suppose you might get a 'goodwill' deal but bearings are normally classed as wear and tear items. You would have to prove that the bearing was faulty in the first place – letting in dirt and moisture so it corroded – which isn't going to be easy.
    As above.

I would ask the Dealership Service Manager his thoughts and ask if he can help i.e. split the cost if he’s unable to replace it for free.

If they service it, they would be more sympathetic to your request I assume.

B

Thanks all. Yes it’s been serviced by the same dealership since purchase to keep it in line with the warranty conditions. It’s actually less mileage than I thought too, just under 21k.

I’m going to call Vauxhall on Monday and will also discuss with the dealership. They’re ere unable to repair today as the part they had was faulty so it’s been rebooked for 14th May so gives us time to work on this.

As an aside - how is a new part faulty?

I have had previous poor experiences with Vauxhall main dealers.

Quote Originally Posted by senwar View Post
    Thanks all. Yes it’s been serviced by the same dealership since purchase to keep it in line with the warranty conditions. It’s actually less mileage than I thought too, just under 21k.

I’m going to call Vauxhall on Monday and will also discuss with the dealership. They’re ere unable to repair today as the part they had was faulty so it’s been rebooked for 14th May so gives us time to work on this.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK View Post
    As an aside - how is a new part faulty?

I have had previous poor experiences with Vauxhall main dealers.
    Sorry, damaged not faulty.

I’m not a massive fan of them myself. We used to use a far better independent with her previous corsa but sadly they closed a few years ago.

Vauxhall lifetime warranty

I know this doesn’t help but in about 1985 I said I’d never buy a Vauxhall and nothing so far has persuaded me to change my mind although the Ampera has come close.

I hope you get it sorted to your satisfaction OP.

Sounds like a familiar Vauxhall soundbite - how on earth does a new, packaged part (bearing) arrive damaged?

Sorry, damaged not faulty.

I’m not a massive fan of them myself. We used to use a far better independent with her previous corsa but sadly they closed a few years ago.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Use their statement that the new part that you required was faulty/damaged against them. If their replacement part was faulty/damaged from the factory, who's to say that the part used in your car on the production line wasn't in the same state.

Quote Originally Posted by Camsfirie View Post
    Use their statement that the new part that you required was faulty/damaged against them. If their replacement part was faulty/damaged from the factory, who's to say that the part used in your car on the production line wasn't in the same state.
    That’s an interesting way of approaching it - thank you. I’ll bring this up if they don’t play ball.

Potholes and speed bumps damage wheels, tyres, bearings and suspension components, in our little corner of Yorkshire the roads are horrendous.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Used to have Vauxhalls but moved on to other makes. Surely no service manager who knows what they're talking about would claim 21k is a decent service life for a wheel bearing? I'd be asking how he'd feel if his wheel bearing went after 21k.

Master
    Seems that the ‘lifetime warranty’ is a load of bull littered with exceptions. Next time buy a Toyota with a 5 year warranty that is comprehensive.

I had a vivaro that needed a new suspension leg at the front,it was less than 3 year old so still under warranty,they fixed it for free but they did say it was a consumable and if it had been over 27k I’d have to pay .
    So much for thinking 3 years or 60k

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A lot of this is down to the dealership relationship with Vauxhall, some will push whilst others will give up. Different make and warranty I know but with my 3 series, I booked it into BMW in Leicester as I was working there, they did nothing at all claiming each time no fault found and literally did the minimal they needed to. Booked it in to a dealer down south near where I live and wow what a different experience, they fixed all the faults I reported, did talk to me to discuss a few to get more details and then went over the car and found other things wrong and also fixed them under warranty.

For a dealer, warranty work pays the minimum per hour as head office won’t pay the normal hourly rates that they’d charge the customer and for this reason some dealers just can’t be bothered.

Craftsman
    This "Lifetime Warranty " , does it list items whose failure would be excluded on the basis of wear and tear ?Also is there a reference to mileage limitations ?

Well spoke with the Lifetime warranty department this morning and they said it should be covered but to speak to dealer and ask why not. If not happy, phone complaints/customer service. Spoke to dealer and he said it wasn't listed as a warranty item and advised me of the same contact number.

Phoned complaints and long story short they're saying its not covered. They then said (complaints) they've asked dealership re: goodwill but said they'll investigate and get back to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Julian View Post
    This "Lifetime Warranty " , does it list items whose failure would be excluded on the basis of wear and tear ?Also is there a reference to mileage limitations ?
    I asked for a copy of this as apparently what I have (documentation) is manufacturer only (first 3yrs) and the lifetime is different. Said this is not provided as the list is too loing.

Right.

Shambles really. If it was up to me, she'd get it fixed and get rid

Doesn’t help that Vauxhall are looking at reducing the number of dealerships in the UK and all dealerships have to re tender if they want to remain in the network.

With that hanging over their heads, I suppose they don’t give a toss at the moment.

Well to be fair to the dealership they've come back and offered 10% contribution - which I was about to laugh at but before I got to that, they also said Vauxhall will contribute 30% so 40% in total.

I'm still not happy but at least they've done something and pretty quickly without additional chasing

Master
    Feels like a mis-selling scandal in the making. How can something be sold as a lifetime warranty and then fail to cover things which should reasonably have been covered?

I had a similar problem with Merecedes and their lifetime corrosion warranty. "it doesn't cover that type of corrosion sir". Rusty wheel arches and outer sills! I swore I would never buy another Mercedes and I would share my experience with anyone who may be tempted by their BS.

Master
    I wouldn't expect any wear and tear items to be covered by any sort of warranty extending beyond an absolute minimum (ie 6k miles/6 months). If you read the small print on many manufacturer warranties you will notice items such as wheel bearings, brakes, suspension struts, track rod ends, even clutches will have a warranty shorter than the usual 3 years never mind 5+ years.

Quote Originally Posted by mowflow View Post
    I wouldn't expect any wear and tear items to be covered by any sort of warranty extending beyond an absolute minimum (ie 6k miles/6 months). If you read the small print on many manufacturer warranties you will notice items such as wheel bearings, brakes, suspension struts, track rod ends, even clutches will have a warranty shorter than the usual 3 years never mind 5+ years.
    Wheel bearings are not in the warranty exclusions in the booklet we have. 21k is nowhere near enough for these to fail - I certainly don't class that as wear and tear

Wheel bearings are not in the warranty exclusions in the booklet we have. 21k is nowhere near enough for these to fail - I certainly don't class that as wear and tear
    21k is more than enough for a wheel bearing to fail, I wouldn't focus on the mileage.

Quote Originally Posted by Franky Four Fingers View Post
    21k is more than enough for a wheel bearing to fail, I wouldn't focus on the mileage.
    Really? That surprises me. I know obviously driving and road conditions play a part but still.

Really? That surprises me. I know obviously driving and road conditions play a part but still.
    I know that it probably hasn't but it could have spent those 21000 miles up to its hubs in water. I've seen bearings go at 10-50-100k and most of the time it's defficult to know why after the event.
    Moisture which causes corrosion, the corrosion causes pitting and greater wear, heat builds up which speeds up the process. Wear and tear would be a response that I'd expect from them.

Quote Originally Posted by Franky Four Fingers View Post
    I know that it probably hasn't but it could have spent those 21000 miles up to its hubs in water. I've seen bearings go at 10-50-100k and most of the time it's defficult to know why after the event.
    Moisture which causes corrosion, the corrosion causes pitting and greater wear, heat builds up which speeds up the process. Wear and tear would be a response that I'd expect from them.
    Fair enough.

I've actually read quite a few posts on the Corsa forum where the bearings have been replaced under warranty (one at 55k). I quoted this but they were adamant it wasnt