closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Bike for a 6 year old?

Master
    Blog Entries

Bike for a 6 year old?

I want to get a decent bike but one that will last a good few years. not sure on what size to get either. Her measurements are height 113cm inside leg 50cm. I like the look of this carrera http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bike...-bike-20-wheel A little big but wouldnt of thought it would be long until its a nice size for her.

A few years? I don’t think it works like that for a 6 year old, if you get a year i’d Say well done, they grow fast!

My advice is get a light bike, my sons first bike was a cheap heavy one and he really struggled then just gave up.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Islabikes.

Check out Orbea.

Good bike brand with innovative kids designs.

Islabikes or Frog bikes new or used if you can afford it. If that is too expensive then used Ridgeback bikes are decent and can be had for great deals. They aren’t as light as the expensive bikes but way better that the standard Halfords options.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We have an islabike but the hoy kids bikes look ok too.

We got our 5 year old a used Specialized BMX, with 16" wheels. It lasted him until he was 7 when we bought a 20" mountain bike but should have really gone for 18" as he's only just comfortable on the 20" now at 11.

The BMX is with his sister but she's needing the next size up for her 7th birthday in a few weeks. We'll go for 18" this time.

Basically, you'll get 18 months - 2 years absolute max out of it, and it's no good going for a bigger size first as they won't be able to handle it properly. When the boy was first using the 20" it was frightening, but he wouldn't let us sell it to get another one

Islabike or Frog, both lighter weight and better designed than anything you'll find in Halfords.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Another for islabikes. I have now worked through a couple and in both cases I bought second hand, used for two kids to learn to cycle and become confident and sold for what I paid for them. They are proper quality bikes actually desisigned for kids to use and it makes teaching them so much easier.

Master
    Specialized hotrock watch his face light up.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by g40steve View Post
    Specialized hotrock watch his face light up.
    Bought my daughter one of these and she loves it, great for hitting our local bike trails (Whinlatter).

I’d buy a decent used off eBay. Islabikes are likely better ergonomically designed with correct length cranks and stems. As others have said buy as light a bike as possible given budget etc. For a more dirt oriented ride my son rides a trek superfly. I changed the stem, shortened the bars an inch and changed the front crank so that it best suits his measurements but it’s a great bike.

Check out https://www.twowheelingtots.com/ulti...ke-comparison/ although it's American you can pick up some good points to look for.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Cheers folks I'm going to have to take her into a bike shop and measure up properly. I do like the look of the islabikes. Another big hurdle is it just will not do if it's not pink or purple :/

Master
    I am in general agreement with the other comments;-

We started with Islabikes - Probably the best on the market, fairly pricey but retain their value if kept in decent condition.

We then went for a couple of frog bikes which I would say offer decent value and also sell well secondhand, they have the advantage of being sold by shops so you can try them out for size.

We have moved onto Orbea now, I ri k we bought this when my daughter was just under 7. A bit heavier, But she is a better rider now so this doesn’t matter as much as when she was smaller.

I agree with others - bike will last you 12-18 month, because of kids grow at incredible speed :)

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisparker View Post
    Islabike or Frog, both lighter weight and better designed than anything you'll find in Halfords.
    This. They keep their value too.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Another vote for Islabikes here.

We have had three and sold one with 20" wheels on eBay for not a great deal less than I paid direct from Islabikes after my two children had learnt to ride and had heavy use before out growing and moving to a bigger size.

Master
    Isla Bikes up to 20" large then Hoy for 24" as it has the finger / thumb shifters instead of gripshift.

I would also advise not getting a bike they can "grow into" as it wil be harder to control, may put them off and could be dangerous. Much better sizing correctly as the benefit of better riding will outweigh the cost of 2 bikes.

Craftsman
    In them there mountainous Hills of Surrey
    We were very pleased with a Pinnacle Ash 20” from Evans Cycles. Not so expensive as Islabikes but still lightweight and with decent components. My oldest is 10 now but still whizzes about on it, even though it’s way too small for her.

I went for islabikes for the first bike. Nicely put together but grown out of very quickly (not the bike’s fault obviously).

Have now bought her a Scott scale which she absolutely loves. Doesn’t hurt that daddy has one too.

Craftsman
    We got a Wiggins Macon for my 5 year old, she seems to like it, and learnt to ride without stabilisers on it.

benwoodroffe
    My son has an early rider belter, despite not being particularly sporty or well coordinated, he’s been bombing around on it since he was four and a bit, never had stabilisers, just a couple of sessions to learn - so it’s been fantastic.

I managed to get one just before a price rise so whilst I think they’re a bit too expensive now I’ll probably get him the next size up when he’s 6/7.

My daughter can use if she wants in a couple years time and then following there will hopefully still be a bit of resale value in it as they do seem to hold some.

So a harsh layout at first, but has been pretty much invaluable in terms value for money in my eyes.

Master
    I've bought 3 kids bikes from Decathlon over the past couple of years, it's worth checking out if you have a store near enough. I love that you can browse all the bikes at your leisure, ask for help and advice if you want it and then the kids can test ride them up and down the aisle. Prices are very good too and quality is excellent. I also buy most of my own biking gear from there too.

Master
    Both my boys have these. They are good build quality and not to heavy for the price.
    Seem to hold their price too.

https://www.frogbikes.com

Master
    Blog Entries

to round this up i went with the carrera in the end (linked above) after the little one had a test ride on it and it fitted her well which i was surprised at. Great price at £180 for the quality and only weighing in at 10kg, she was off like a rocket.
    Last edited by sprite1275; 29th April 2018 at 21:59.

Chip off the old block...

Master

Bike for a 6 year old?

I just bought my 6, nearly 7yr old an Apollo Chaos. It was less than £100 from Halfords and my boy loves it. Really don’t understand the need to spend hundreds (£300+ looking at the islabikes) on a bike for a kid when they grow out of them so fast. I certainly couldn’t afford to spend that sort of money for such a short usage.
    I had hand me downs and second hand bikes as a kid because there was no money in my family at all and I was still delighted to go out riding on my bike.
    But then I guess if you have the income to afford it with no hardship then why not.

Master
    Struggled to get our now 5 year old to ride a bike. Even done local bike classes, but too scared of falling off to try. 12inch bike was bl00dy heavy too. this 16" Islabike is lighter than that 12" bike.

So from this thread idea, bought an Isla bike from ebay at the weekend. Sunday morning and within a few minutes she was off and riding on her own. When she grows out of it, will put it back on ebay.

So thanks to all that recommended Islabikes.

Quote Originally Posted by jaytip View Post
    I just bought my 6, nearly 7yr old an Apollo Chaos. It was less than £100 from Halfords and my boy loves it. Really don’t understand the need to spend hundreds (£300+ looking at the islabikes) on a bike for a kid when they grow out of them so fast. I certainly couldn’t afford to spend that sort of money for such a short usage.
    I had hand me downs and second hand bikes as a kid because there was no money in my family at all and I was still delighted to go out riding on my bike.
    But then I guess if you have the income to afford it with no hardship then why not.
    Isla bikes are like Submariners, you can buy a nice used one and sell it for what you bought it for at zero cost of ownership. I don't want to knock your decision but It's unlikely that you'll get £100 back for the Apollo, and the Isla would have been a better bike, and cheaper in the long run.
    Last edited by chrisparker; 30th April 2018 at 14:38.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisparker View Post
    Isla bikes are like Submariners, you can buy a nice used one and sell it for what you bought it for at zero cost of ownership. I don't want to knock your decision but It's unlikely that you'll get £100 back for the Apollo, and the Isla would have been a better bike, and cheaper in the long run.
    In all honesty I don’t look to recoup anything when I buy my kids bikes. When my boy outgrows this current one I will give it to my nephew for his boy who is a few years younger than my boy.
    Same with my daughters bikes, they go to my sisters daughter.

I bought my son (then 7) a 16inch bike. I did deliberate on getting something like islabikes, but went to Halfords in the end, primarily because he tends to chuck the bike around a bike. Also the bike parking at school is shocking. He loved it (other than the fact it did not have gears) and we went all around the woods on it.

He is now 8 and has gone up a size.