closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Headphones for the gym

Headphones for the gym

I've been looking for a pair of over/on-ear headphones for the gym, to replace my failing in-ear ones.

It's like everyone's wearing Beats, but I don't want to spend that sort of money. Sound quality in this case isn't as important as the headphones' ability to stay on. I don't do a lot of running or jumping, though, it's mainly spin and weights.

The top contender is a pair of JBL E45BTs. I'll be listening wired using an old iPod, but if I ever upgrade it then I have the option of Bluetooth. I also like that the cord is replaceable.

Any other recommendations?

Master
    Not really sure exactly what will halp, but the problem with on and especially over ear in the gym is that your ears are going to get very hot and sweaty. I'd have thought the ones that are in ear but wrap over the ear are the way to go.

No idea how good they are, but something like this?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Headphones-...gym+headphones

or

https://en-uk.sennheiser.com/pmx-686g-sports

Albeit, I've had a high failure rate with wired Sennheisers because the cord is rather flimsy

Sweat means using as minimal contact area with the ear as possible

Hi, I have had a pair of these for four years now, they work really well, are minimal and low cost, so if the ydo get lost, i won't be too upset over it. Plus i think that
    the over ear loop is a great way to secure no matter what shape your ears er

https://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/i...ones/mdr-as210

John

Personally I wouldn't get anything too expensive for the gym. Those beats ones are vastly over priced / rated. I Really like my audio but was recommended these and I'm impressed with them after using for about a year so far in the gym

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Master
    I think he wants wired as the ipod has no BT. That said you could get a cheap BT adapter for the Ipod as they seem to run from £10-£15 on ebay. You'd just need to make sure you would not bend the connection when in the unit.

I think most people would now have BT heaphones for the gym to avoid the wires. Then as said get one of the cheap pairs links as they will always get damaged or lost eventually.

Quote Originally Posted by sean View Post
    I've been looking for a pair of over/on-ear headphones for the gym, to replace my failing in-ear ones.

It's like everyone's wearing Beats, but I don't want to spend that sort of money. Sound quality in this case isn't as important as the headphones' ability to stay on. I don't do a lot of running or jumping, though, it's mainly spin and weights.

The top contender is a pair of JBL E45BTs. I'll be listening wired using an old iPod, but if I ever upgrade it then I have the option of Bluetooth. I also like that the cord is replaceable.

Any other recommendations?
    i have the E65’s that I bought when I left my Bose on a flight (now thankfully returned) I’m sure they would be up to the job and take a lot of abuse.
    It's just a matter of time...

Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post
    i have the E65’s that I bought when I left my Bose on a flight (now thankfully returned) I’m sure they would be up to the job and take a lot of abuse.
    That's good to know, thanks. Of the customer reviews I've read of them, I haven't come across any consistent build/quality issues, which is one of the reasons they're top of my list at the moment.

I'd really fancied the PSB M4U 1s, which apparently sound great, until I read that the headband tends to break once the warranty period runs out!

Over ear for the gym?

Any particular reason why? I'd agree with the earlier post, your ear will get incredibly hot!

I've got some in ear ones for the gym (and general use), only using over ear ones (with sound reduction, but sadly not Bose!) for flights.

M

Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post
    Over ear for the gym?

Any particular reason why? I'd agree with the earlier post, your ear will get incredibly hot!
    Apparently in-ear ones can promote wax buildup in some people, and having recently flushed out a hive's worth of wax I'd prefer not to use in-ear 'phones from now on. And as my in-ear 'phones aren't working so well, I'd like to use the opportunity to try on-ear headphones.

The thing is, I see so many people at the gym with on/over-ear Beats etc. that they all can't be suffering from overheated ears, can they?

Apparently in-ear ones can promote wax buildup in some people, and having recently flushed out a hive's worth of wax I'd prefer not to use in-ear 'phones from now on. And as my in-ear 'phones aren't working so well, I'd like to use the opportunity to try on-ear headphones.

The thing is, I see so many people at the gym with on/over-ear Beats etc. that they all can't be suffering from overheated ears, can they?
    I have Bose over ear and in ear for flights, I found the over ear on long haul got to hot, so I used in ear, yes after a 16 hour flight I sometimes felt like I had water in my ears, but I worked on the assumption the ear canal got warm and actually softened the wax.

But I would not use obervear ones at a gym.

Master

Bear in mind not everyone in the gym is there to work up a sweat.

You don’t sweat excessively if just lifting weights. I wouldn’t do cardio using on ear headphones but weights should be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Christian View Post
    You don’t sweat excessively if just lifting weights. I wouldn’t do cardio using on ear headphones but weights should be fine.
    That really depends on a huge number of factors. If you aren’t sweating lifting weights then...
    It's just a matter of time...

Quote Originally Posted by justin44 View Post
    I have Bose over ear and in ear for flights, I found the over ear on long haul got to hot, so I used in ear, yes after a 16 hour flight I sometimes felt like I had water in my ears, but I worked on the assumption the ear canal got warm and actually softened the wax.

But I would not use obervear ones at a gym.
    Funnily enough, I’ve got the same combo - the QC35s and QC30s - for the same reason. There’s no doubt over ears give better sound quality, and slightly better noise isolation, but on a long flight my head gets too sweaty. (And they’re way too warm to wear to the gym for me. Just about tolerable when it’s cold, but horrible when it’s even the slightest bit warm). Admittedly, on-ear won’t be quite as warm as over-ear.

My wife has the Soundsport wireless, which are pretty close to qc30s in terms of sound quality, and actually isolate a decent amount of noise without the NC.

Craftsman
    I got some wireless in ear beats, thinking they would be great. They really aren't!

I found them very difficult to keep in my ears and the sound quality wasn't all that. I went back to some wired sport type headphones that clip behind your ear.

Master
    Blog Entries