closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: From Russia (with love). Cheap little Vostok beater and my other recent(ish) arrivals

Blog Entries

From Russia (with love). Cheap little Vostok beater and my other recent(ish) arrivals

Evening.

It's been a while since I posted up about any watch incomings so I thought I would give this a go today. :)

I recently received a gift card / voucher for Amazon from a lady who is my best friend in art. We support each other when things aren't going so great.

So I really fancied hunting out something easy on the eye at a bargain price that I can wear daily and enjoy and remind me of our friendship.

So I happened across this little beauty.

Vostok 'Amphibian' 0604083. Nice little auto piece. Yes... a little tinny on the bracelet etc... and as always... these don't feel like the stem on the crown would fare well in a fight... but I haven't got a white dialed piece kicking around so this DID catch my eye. All in for £73... including shipping from over that part of the world too.

Also landed recently are the Seiko PADI, the G-Shock Rangman and the Orient Mako. Two lots of Pepsi. :)

I have had the other 3 for a while now... but haven't shared.

Anyway... happy in the knowledge that I got some great bargains here. :) Two new (Vostok and Seiko PADI) and two from this great forum (Rangeman and Mako).

Happy days. :)

Thanks for looking. :)

Greg.

... and a group hug...

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    I like that amphibia greg. The dome is lovely.

+1 for the Amphibia. I like the dial as well, a little different. Isn’t the wobbly stem a design feature designed to protect it? ;).

Nice Vostok but really the Orient Mako has to be one of if not the best watch available in its price bracket. I bought the old version years ago and gave it away and recently picked up the new upgraded version with hack seconds hand. It feel so much better on the wrist than the Seiko 009 (Which I may now sell) Both of them have dreadful bracelets but on a rubber watch strap the Mako is so much better the Seiko just feels bulky and uncomfortable in comparison. I have generally been lucky with Seiko watches finding them to be very accurate but the Mako I think beats them all straight out of the box and I think numerals at 12, 9 and 6 help to make it much more legible than others.

Like mine so much I may even get the black dial version.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by verv View Post
    I like that amphibia greg. The dome is lovely.
    Thanks Merc. It has a nice little charm about it, for sure. ;)

Quote Originally Posted by alfat33 View Post
    +1 for the Amphibia. I like the dial as well, a little different. Isn’t the wobbly stem a design feature designed to protect it? ;).
    Thank you. Yeah... it struck me as unusual, even for the Amphibia range. As for the stem... no idea, tell me a tale though and I am happy to believe it. ;) If it's purposefully wobbly then I will go with that.... while still being extra careful not to snap it. ;)

Quote Originally Posted by robert75 View Post
    Nice Vostok but really the Orient Mako has to be one of if not the best watch available in its price bracket. I bought the old version years ago and gave it away and recently picked up the new upgraded version with hack seconds hand. It feel so much better on the wrist than the Seiko 009 (Which I may now sell) Both of them have dreadful bracelets but on a rubber watch strap the Mako is so much better the Seiko just feels bulky and uncomfortable in comparison. I have generally been lucky with Seiko watches finding them to be very accurate but the Mako I think beats them all straight out of the box and I think numerals at 12, 9 and 6 help to make it much more legible than others.

Like mine so much I may even get the black dial version.
    Indeed Robert. All of these pieces are very good bang for buck at great prices though the Mako has a certain commanding presence and robustness about it also. :) Hope you get a black one too. :)

From Russia (with love). Cheap little Vostok beater and my other recent(ish) arrivals

Quote Originally Posted by gregory View Post
    As for the stem... no idea, tell me a tale though and I am happy to believe it. ;)
    This post on WUS covers the design philosophy pretty well and I think there are even one or two Youtube videos. I can’t vouch for the veracity of the the explanation of the crown and stem design, but I can confirm that the crystal and caseback designs make it very easy for even a hamfisted amateur like me to refurbish an old Amphibia to be water tight.

http://forums.watchuseek.com/showthread.php?t=491757
    Last edited by alfat33; 26th April 2018 at 06:18.

Blog Entries
    This post on WUS covers the design philosophy pretty well and I think there are even one or two Youtube videos. I can’t vouch for the veracity of the the explanation of the crown and stem design, but I can confirm that the crystal and caseback designs make it very easy for even a hamfisted amateur like me to refurbish an old Amphibia to be water tight.

http://forums.watchuseek.com/showthread.php?t=491757

Wow... that's a very informative and well put together article... fascinating stuff. :)

Thank you very much for taking the time to show me this. Much appreciated. :)

Greg

I really need to add vostok to my collection soon.

Just a shame most diver style ones dont have a bracelet.

Quote Originally Posted by trott3r View Post
    I really need to add vostok to my collection soon.

Just a shame most diver style ones dont have a bracelet.
    Some do, but believe me you don’t want their bracelets!

The standard bracelets are terrible, but there’s an an upgraded Vostok option option available for several of the most popular case sizes with solid links. As an alternative, the Vostok mesh bracelets are cheap and decent quality. I have half a dozen Amfibias and have swapped out the original bracelets on all of them.

Eg:

https://meranom.com/en/amphibian-cla...-420-case.html

https://meranom.com/en/amphibian-cla...et-18mm-b.html
    Last edited by Seamaster73; 27th April 2018 at 16:30.

I would quite like to add a mesh to my Amphibia. Just bought a new bezel from Meranom, should have got the bracelet at the same time.

Craftsman
    Occasionally,I think I must have a Russian watch whenever I see threads like this one.
    I don't really know why but maybe I'm nostalgic for the Cold War
    Do they do any hand wind watches without a date?
    Might look good and even if it didn't what would be lost?

Quote Originally Posted by topcat666 View Post
    Occasionally,I think I must have a Russian watch whenever I see threads like this one.
    I don't really know why but maybe I'm nostalgic for the Cold War
    Do they do any hand wind watches without a date?
    Might look good and even if it didn't what would be lost?
    There are plenty of Amphibias without a date if that’s what you mean.

Old,

and new:

There are some real Russian/Soviet watch experts on the forum and loads of choice if you are open to vintage options.

I am very much a bracelet guy.
    I do not have hairy arms so if its a hair pulling problem that will not bother me.

As to mesh, well i also have skinny arms so i find the level of adjustment on mesh bracelets to less than standard jubilee/oyster types.

Craftsman
    There are plenty of Amphibias without a date if that’s what you mean.

Old,

and new:

There are some real Russian/Soviet watch experts on the forum and loads of choice if you are open to vintage options.
    Many thanks.
    I'll keep my eyes open.

Blog Entries
    Thanks for the input and contributions so far guys... I am really enjoy this thread that I have started.

I feel like I have put my net out and that fishes have jumped into it... such is the great info that has landed here!

Thanks guys! Keep it coming. With pics too. :)

Greg :)