closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Brief Note on London JLC Boutique Experience & Some Reverso Info

Craftsman

Brief Note on London JLC Boutique Experience & Some Reverso Info

I know AD's and brand outlets don't always get good write-ups but I thought I'd just say that I recently had a really good visit to the JLC London boutique. I popped in to try on a range of Reversos to get a better handle on sizing for my particular wrist. The staff were down to earth and genuinely friendly and my particular sales guy, Frank, turned out to be genuinely into watches - all watches - and made several trips to the safe to find pieces he thought I might enjoy seeing and trying on, despite both of us knowing that they wouldn't be of purchase interest (incl blue LE Memovox and a Deep Sea). There was no sales pressure, no over-qualifying of me as a potential prospect/buyer, and fair and honest replies to objections from me, such as "I've heard it's a bit of a scratch magnet", etc. Of course, it was a sales environment but in my experience of that visit, it was how I would want it to be and helped develop my "relationship with the brand", as they say. I even got a rather tasty chilled glass of champagne.

Oh, and I got a peep of the watchmaker’s area. (Without a warranty I’d still be happier going to an independent like Brendan, not least because of the cost.)

OK, so some Reverso photos and info...

A gorgeously bling blue Tribute:

A Classic Large mono-face and a Classic Large DuoFace (with the time advance recessed in the top of the case)

A Tigers Eye LE DuoFace:

Depth - Classic vs DuoFace (both large):

And some sizing:

Classic Medium DuoFace (current, 2018)
    42.9 X 25.5 x 9.2mm
    A tad small perhaps; dressier, elegant. Didn’t take photos which I regret.

Grand Taille and Duo (not current)
    42 x 26 X 9.5mm
    Slightly shorter (0.9mm) than Classic Medium and 5mm shorter than Large; slightly wider than Classic Medium and 2.4mm less than Large. Probably what I’ll go for rather than new but not sure yet - haven’t found one to try on.

Tribute
    45.6 x 27.4 x ??
    I think these are the dimensions for the blue job I tried on. I really liked it but too dressy for me for casual use.

Classic Large, Small Secs
    45.6 X 27.4 x 8.5mm
    This sat very, very comfortably and felt “easy” and more natural but obvs only has the single dial.

Classic Large DuoFace
    47 X 28.3 x 10.3mm
    Maybe too large and too thick (comments welcome from the photos) but pretty damn good. Lots of wrist presence, heavier and thicker than the single face.

Grande Reverso Ultrathin Duoface
    46 x 27 X 8.9mm
    Could also be a go-er for me.

Grande Reverso Duo
    48.5 x 29.9 X 10.3mm
    Probably too large.

Grande Reverso 986 Duodate
    52 x 32.15 X 11.3mm
    Too large

46.5 x 29.5 GMT

48.5 x 30 976

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by khumzi; 25th April 2018 at 18:22.

Beautiful watches - never seen that Tiger Eye one before.

Sounds like a great experience - what you would expect from JLC.

Sizing is tricky but looks like you've helped to narrow down the choices.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Master
    Classic large duoface looks great on you.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Journeyman
    I was in there about a month ago for exactly the same reason, to try on reversos for size.
    Was also very impressed with both service and staff.

Craftsman
    I love reversos and bought one last year. Classic large small seconds, but on black croc. I’m currently wearing it on a shiny brown hirsch croc.

I remember trying on the duo face and also thinking it was a bit thick. The single face seemed the best all round to me at the time, but the duo face does look fine on the wrist in your photo.

I’ve recently been thinking about “upgrading” to the duoface at some point as the flip mechanism does seem a bit redundant when there’s nothing to see on the reverse!

What are the new brown straps like?? (The dark brown one on the duo face, with what looks like a folded end at the lug end). It looks really nice on photos and I’ve been thinking I might see if I can buy one separately.
    Last edited by D4RW1N; 25th April 2018 at 21:59.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by D4RW1N View Post
    I love reversos and bought one last year. Classic large small seconds, but on black croc. I’m currently wearing it on a shiny brown hirsch croc.

I remember trying on the duo face and also thinking it was a bit thick. The single face seemed the best all round to me at the time, but the duo face does look fine on the wrist in your photo.

I’ve recently been thinking about “upgrading” to the duoface at some point as the flip mechanism does seem a bit redundant when there’s nothing to see on the reverse!

What are the new brown straps like?? (The dark brown one on the duo face, with what looks like a folded end at the lug end). It looks really nice on photos and I’ve been thinking I might see if I can buy one separately.
    ... that brown strap pictured above might be something special - it shares the same stitching as the previous Casa Fagliano cordovan straps done on the 1931 Tributes .. I think they had a blue cordovan on one of the new Reversos released at Basel this year.. if you wanted to buy one of those separately they were not cheap..

al

Craftsman
    It was beautifully made but quite thick and not super-supple. I’m sure it would wear-in nicely though. I found the folds at the top a bit of a clash with the watch and preferred the CF straps...

I know what you mean about the single vs duo. I figured that if I went mono I’d be looking to up-grade after a while. If I could afford it, and I certainly can’t, I’d get the Classic mono in white and a Tribute of some kind (blue or black, probably). The other problem with the Duo is that although flipping faces is easy, having a well-matched strap is tricky. The light brown ostrich is fab for the white face but not great for the black. Carrying a spare seems to defeat the whole thing. A dark brown might do it though. (A black strap makes it less casual in my view.)

Craftsman
    I have had similar experiences there a couple times in the last few months. I have since got a classic large small seconds, felt the best proportioned, the duo felt too thick and the medium a touch small on my 7" wrist.
    and about those fagliano style straps, when I got my reverso this month JLC said they aren't available to buy separately atm.

Craftsman

Brief Note on London JLC Boutique Experience & Some Reverso Info

Equally good experience there last year.

I bought an Ultra Thin Duoface (albeit not from the Bond St boutique.). That model hit the sweet spot for me. They no longer appear on the JLC website so I’m not sure they are currently making them.

I love the Casa Fagliano style straps - but have never managed to track down a source.
    Last edited by CriticalMass; 26th April 2018 at 11:21.

Craftsman
    Agreed on the black strap being less casual. I wear mine mainly with a suit so didn’t mind the more formal look, although I have since put it on a nice brown hirsch London.

I don’t think the new brown strap versions have started hitting the ADs generally yet (mine says enquire about availability on website) but imagine they will be more readily available after that.

I think I will pay a visit once this is the case to have a look at the straps and hopefully try on the large duoface again, so I can decide if I still think it’s s bit too thick (or not, which would be the more expensive outcome)!

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by td1596 View Post
    I have had similar experiences there a couple times in the last few months. I have since got a classic large small seconds, felt the best proportioned, the duo felt too thick and the medium a touch small on my 7" wrist.
    and about those fagliano style straps, when I got my reverso this month JLC said they aren't available to buy separately atm.
    I'm lead to believe from elsewhere (Purists) that if you email CF directly, they can do you one. You'd need to be sitting down for the price .. and whether they have the specific insert which is in the JLC branded.

al

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by alslater View Post
    I'm lead to believe from elsewhere (Purists) that if you email CF directly, they can do you one. You'd need to be sitting down for the price .. and whether they have the specific insert which is in the JLC branded.

al
    I tried this, CF website currently directs you to contact JLC. Their straps look like some of the best about but are they worth £500+?!

Craftsman
    Have always found them to be really helpful in JLC - wish all boutiques were as helpful!

Craftsman
    Just been looking on the jlc website and the black strap models have the option to buy an extra strap for £290.

The brown strap models don’t have this option, but on the basis that the watches are priced about the same, I would hope the cost for the strap would be the same, once available? Time will tell...

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by D4RW1N View Post
    Just been looking on the jlc website and the black strap models have the option to buy an extra strap for £290.

The brown strap models don’t have this option, but on the basis that the watches are priced about the same, I would hope the cost for the strap would be the same, once available? Time will tell...
    £290 is for the alligator straps, the calf leather are £180. the CF style are calf leather so i'd expect them to be at the lower end of that scale, then shouldn't care the premium of the original CF cordovan straps.

Craftsman
    Hi all

The recent thread on reversos got me admiring a strap purchase I made last summer and I realised I never came back to update this, hence the resurrection!

Anyway, following the discussion here, I contacted jlc, who explained that the fagliano straps are only available on new pieces due to the very limited production supply. However, they then re contacted me a few days later to say they could sell me a fagliano “style” strap which looks the same, but is not the actual hand made/ limited supply version. Mysterious, but they sent me some pictures and it looked ok. The price was £255 and I was also told I could order by email, but not by the website as it’s not listed as an option on their strap selector.

So I went for it and received it a few days later. It’s very nice and I’m still not sure if it’s the actual handmade one or not. It’s stamped casa fagliano and jlc on the inner side. I’ve only seen one of the new fagliano straps on one of the blue tribute models a couple of months ago and it might be slightly more substantial in terms of thickness (not sure though as I didn’t have mine with me to compare), but all is good with the strap.

So it seems it is possible to get one of these from jlc, just not quite sure if it’s the “true” fagliano, or some other variant, produced in larger numbers as an aftermarket option (still not on the jlc website though).

Here’s a few pics taken this morning,