closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Tales from the workshop; E-Type MKI in for repair and a nice little MG paying a visit

Blog Entries

Tales from the workshop; E-Type MKI in for repair and a nice little MG paying a visit

Just some Wednesday-morning pics.

In the shop a really, really nice Jaguar E-Type MKI with a leaking real seal. Not an easy job to fix. The car has been restored and the original g/box has been replaced by a 5-speed BMW 'box. An upgrade (depends if you see it that way...) that's done from time-to-time. However, it makes removing the engine an awkward job. Added to that, the front cross-member won't move. It looks like it's bolted in place, but somehow it's welded to the lower arms. We need to contact the owner (a big classic car dealer 10kms south) to discuss what he wants.

Triple Webers! Nice! On top of the engine, the black hoist arm needed to take the engine out. The arm is adjustable, just to get the angle right when lifting the whole contraption out!

The horizontal cross-member is in the way! Normally these are easily unbolted, but this time it needs more attention.

The old real seals of these engines are nothing more than a string of rope. There are modern-day upgrades available (finally an upgrade that makes sense!) and the idea is to lift the engine, and replace the ropy seal with a modern one.

On a lighter note: a local came by with his MG. This sort of cars always makes me happy. I can't sit in them, I am (6 ft) too tall; the steering wheel is too close! But I like the looks of 'm. Especially the Primrose Yellow variety!

Menno
    Last edited by thieuster; 25th April 2018 at 11:02.

Master
    I bitterly regret selling my Series 3 to put double glazing in. Mind, I was so wary of leaving it anywhere unmonitored when it was only worth about £13k....

Love the colour of that MG. Very evocative of it's time. Also, Old English White, whatever happened to that colour? Back in the day I had an Austin Healey in OEW. You just don't see cars in these colours any more.

I'm not a fan of E-types, I drove one at Mallory, the thing kept trying to kill me.

Grand Master
    I like the MG....., and the steering wheel's at the correct side too

Like many classic car fans, I look back to the days when I could've afforded an E Type and wish I`d bought one. Not an easy car for a DIY mechanic to work on, especially in a small garage, but that's not the reason I never bought one. I guess they were always just out of reach and the running costs could get a bit scary.

In 2000 I bought a nice TR6, from a dealer in N. Yorkshire. When I went to view it they also had a series 3 fixed-head E type for around £15K; the car looked very nice and for one fleeting moment I considered it. One reason I didn`t seriously consider it was the size, my garage is only just big enough to work on a smaller car and the E Type would've filled it. If I can`t work on a classic I won`t buy it, simple as that, but there were other good reasons to not buy the E Type......every time I looked at one I talked myself out of it!

Paul

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by thieuster View Post
    In the shop a really, really nice Jaguar E-Type MKI with a leaking real seal. Not an easy job to fix. The car has been restored and the original g/box has been replaced by a 5-speed BMW 'box. An upgrade (depends if you see it that way...) that's done from time-to-time. However, it makes removing the engine an awkward job. Added to that, the front cross-member won't move. It looks like it's bolted in place, but somehow it's welded to the lower arms. We need to contact the owner (a big classic car dealer 10kms south) to discuss what he wants.

Triple Webers! Nice! On top of the engine, the black hoist arm needed to take the engine out. The arm is adjustable, just to get the angle right when lifting the whole contraption out!

The horizontal cross-member is in the way! Normally these are easily unbolted, but this time it needs more attention.
    Not sure what you mean by the horizontal cross member but, you shouldn't be trying to disturb the front frames to take the engine out. If you mean the torsion bar reaction plate under the rear of the engine, that should unbolt. You have always had to take the engine and box out together to change a clutch or rear seal but I've never seen a BMW box conversion. The cross member in front of the engine has never just been bolted in, it is always welded to the sides of the frames.

Jaguar recommended taking off the exhaust, manifolds, reaction plate, top hose, header tank, bottom hose etc and lifting the engine out. It comes out without disturbing the front frames.

A simpler way is take everything off that sticks out the sides as well so, including the carbs and manifolds. Remove the torsion bar reaction plate and bars, then supporting the engine/box and lifting the car off it with your two post. As you've got that, it's a much easier job, only about 6 hours and no worries about damaging the frames or any paint.

Cheers, Chris
    Last edited by ChrisN; 26th April 2018 at 18:46.