closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Kids Wearing Ear Defenders

Kids Wearing Ear Defenders

I try to avoid the general public as much as possible (read: shopping centres), but when I am forced to go out amongst the populace I now always see a few children wearing ear defenders and wondered what this is about?

Are they overwhelmed by modern society? Is it the modern approach to 'ear ache' but putting cotton wool in your ears is no longer fashionable enough? A coping strategy for austism?

It intrigues me.

Are you sure you know the difference between ear defenders and headphones?

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Why not ask them?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bobbyboy View Post
    I try to avoid the general public as much as possible (read: shopping centres), but when I am forced to go out amongst the populace I now always see a few children wearing ear defenders and wondered what this is about?

Are they overwhelmed by modern society? Is it the modern approach to 'ear ache' but putting cotton wool in your ears is no longer fashionable enough? A coping strategy for austism?

It intrigues me.
    My nephew wears ear defenders when out and about. He is autistic and it really helps him. I'd hazard a guess that most you see wearing them are on the autistic spectrum.

So is this a cheap unfunny shot at over-ear headphones or a misunderstanding of autistic children who're subject to distressing sensory overload in busy public places?

Quote Originally Posted by Complex View Post
    So is this a cheap unfunny shot at over-ear headphones or a misunderstanding of autistic children who're subject to distressing sensory overload in busy public places?
    A reaction to either makes the troll's post worthwhile.

Quote Originally Posted by seadog1408 View Post
    Why not ask them?
    Would they be able to hear the question ??

Quote Originally Posted by Jubal View Post
    My nephew wears ear defenders when out and about. He is autistic and it really helps him. I'd hazard a guess that most you see wearing them are on the autistic spectrum.
    This is most probably the answer.

On a recent flight to India, I put my son's ear defenders on to realise the benefits (yes I probably did look silly). Initially I thought there was no difference but kept them on. Upon taking them off, it was surprising how much noise they cut out.

The defenders have also been used for weddings/parties etc when my son or daughter fancy a nap in the pushchair.

Something about Bobby, I can't put my finger on.
    Fas est ab hoste doceri

My daughter seemed to have a major problem with loud noise when she was young and used to get very distressed. Ear defenders made air displays etc ‘doable’ for her. It was a godsend as far as I’m concerned, I would hate the thought of her missing out on things I got so much joy out of as a kid, and were such a major part of my childhood.

My lad is on the spectrum and I bought him some to take him to the touring cars at Croft a few years back. Find them handy to carry round with us now as he occasionally needs them out and about, usually noisy restaurants etc. They are a nice fetching green colour, as modelled here
    http://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/new...Croft_Circuit/

I play in a band so am used to wearing ear plugs "on stage". I also really like wearing them in the pub before the gig it just takes all the intensity out of pissed people talking loudly and noise pollution from other peoples conversations.

I can imagine they would do similar things in a shopping centre and for a child that was sensitive to crowds or noise then they would be a godsend. I'm working in a noisy office today - I might stick them in :)

Craftsman
    My friends son is on the autism spectrum and he wears ear defenders when out and about. Some sounds he cannot bear without them.

Sent from my [device_name] using TZ-UK mobile app