closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Finally found my 16710

Craftsman

Finally found my 16710

Up with the larks today to collect this from the sorting office. I was excited and aprihensive in equal measure. Buying old watches is stressful for me due to my stupidly high expectations.

I’ve been on the hunt for a GMT Master II 16710 for ages. Most it seems have had a tough life and have been reincarnated.

I’m no fan of wear and tear but at the same time want all the original detailing present and no so over-polishing.

The one I’ve tracked down came from Swiss Watch Company aka www.watches.co.uk

Pleased to say I’m absolutely blown away by it. Full set with all the bits as supplied new. It’s super sharp and looks factory fresh. I think it’s had a sheltered life.

It’s a D Serial 2005 BLRO Pepsi from birth, no lug holes model.

Here’s a quick and dirty hurried pic from the iPhone

Craftsman
    Congratulations, it looks sharp!
    I got my 16710 from there too last year. As you say condition is paramount and Watches.co.uk certainly came through for me too.
    Enjoy!

Craftsman
    Thank you.

They really were very good to deal with. Some places would barely answer my questions, which given the value and the age of these watches just said to me that they had something to hide. Swiss Watch Co were completely open and very happy to answer my many many questions with good grace.

Just noticed there are a couple of small hairs that could be mistaken for scratches. I assure it has none. It's lovely.

Congratulations, you just need a couple of bezel inserts and a jubilee bracelet now. It’s one of the most versatile watches Rolex made.

Mine’s currently on a Pepsi but was originally a coke (I’ve never used the black bezel) and it’s about the only watch I wear these days other than the G shock beater.

Obviously it’s a little more “worn in” than yours!

Master
    Another vote for watches.co.uk

Tim Owens is a solid guy.

The 16710 looks amazing, excellent choice OP. Love mine and also need to get the other bezel inserts as suggested.

Gratz, looks to be in great condition :)

Master
    I would most certainly recommend fitting a Jubilee bracelet as it really does lift the watch to a new level. I have been wearing my 16710 (coke) on a Jubilee for nearly a month and it's great.

Banned
    Congratulations, that looks a great example.
    Is the 16710 the only gmt that has interchangeable bezels?

Master
    Nice
    I would stick with the oyster bracelet though.

Quote Originally Posted by Hood View Post
    Nice
    I would stick with the oyster bracelet though.
    I wasn’t suggesting that he get rid of it; adding a jubilee gives more options.

Master
    That is superb, glad the wait was worth it to obtain such a nice example.

Master
    Not often I'd take the trouble to write but that does look like a brilliant example - well done!

H

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Haywood_Milton View Post
    Not often I'd take the trouble to write but that does look like a brilliant example - well done!

H
    Thanks for taking the trouble. It’s good to hear. Hard to assess from pics obviously, but your not spotting anything horrible is a great indicator for me.

Craftsman
    Ok so I’m very much enjoying the watch.

The detailing is very cool indeed, but strangely the whole watch and it’s many fine details are scaled down in size from my expectation. Although I have seen them in the metal before, the impression I had built up was from having viewed many zoomed in HD pics of these watches online. Stuff like the bezel edge, crown guards, lugs. All much daintier than I imagined.

Also not ashamed to say that despite asking before here and having read the booklet, I really don’t understand the GMT functions. The combination of independent hour hand, red GMT marker hand and bezel has completely confused me.

i will be interested to hear how you get along with the 16710. I have owned three over the years (in all combinations) and despite it in theory ticking all the boxes I just never got on with it......and I tried and tried. I appreciate that I am in the minority of owners so I hope you have a far more positive experience. For what it is worth whenever I see them on other people they always look great!!

Craftsman
    Very funny it’s taken owning three to realise they aren’t for you.

I can see why you kept getting drawn back though. Eye catchers aren’t they.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dommorton View Post
    Very funny it’s taken owning three to realise they aren’t for you.

I can see why you kept getting drawn back though. Eye catchers aren’t they.
    There's some folk on here had 10 of the same watch and will, no doubt, buy an 11th.... ;-)

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Master

The detailing is very cool indeed, but strangely the whole watch and it’s many fine details are scaled down in size from my expectation. Although I have seen them in the metal before, the impression I had built up was from having viewed many zoomed in HD pics of these watches online. Stuff like the bezel edge, crown guards, lugs. All much daintier than I imagined.

Also not ashamed to say that despite asking before here and having read the booklet, I really don’t understand the GMT functions. The combination of independent hour hand, red GMT marker hand and bezel has completely confused me.
    The 16710 has an independently adjusted hand, the red one. This performs a whole revolution in 24 hours rather than the usual 12 so by leaving the bezel arrow aligned to 12 you can set the hand and tell the time on a second time zone.
    Alternatively you can synchronise the 24 hour hand to the real time and use the bezel as a night day indicator when at home time. Or rotate the bezel and tell the time on a second time zone. I have always done it as follows: if I travel to a time zone that let’s say is 2 hours ahead of Uk time I set the 2 o clock marker of the bezel relative to the 12 o clock on the dial. If I was traveling somewhere that was two hours behind I would align the 12 hour marker of the dial with the 22 of the bezel.
    Hope this helps.

Enjoy!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Finally found my 16710

Quote Originally Posted by Ar.parask View Post
    The 16710 has an independently adjusted hand, the red one. This performs a whole revolution in 24 hours rather than the usual 12 so by leaving the bezel arrow aligned to 12 you can set the hand and tell the time on a second time zone.
    Alternatively you can synchronise the 24 hour hand to the real time and use the bezel as a night day indicator when at home time. Or rotate the bezel and tell the time on a second time zone. I have always done it as follows: if I travel to a time zone that let’s say is 2 hours ahead of Uk time I set the 2 o clock marker of the bezel relative to the 12 o clock on the dial. If I was traveling somewhere that was two hours behind I would align the 12 hour marker of the dial with the 22 of the bezel.
    Hope this helps.

Enjoy!

The 16710’s independent hour hand is the white one (12hour).

This allows you to adjust it quickly to the time zone that you’re in whilst leaving the red hand (24 hour) at your home time (for example). The bezel can then be used for a third time zone.
    Last edited by Dave+63; 26th April 2018 at 22:10.

Craftsman
    Now that’s making a lot more sense to me thank you.

Blog Entries
    Looks fantastic and enjoy.

I still consider mine one of the most perfect watches

Pitch

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    The 16710’s independent hour hand is the white one (12hour).

This allows you to adjust it quickly to the time zone that you’re in whilst leaving the red hand (24 hour) at your home time (for example). The bezel can then be used for a third time zone.
    What Dave said. I use mine for travel all the time. I leave red hand set to UK time, so I can always see what time it is at home by reading the bezel set at 24/12, as in your picture.
    The quick set hour hand I set to local time, and a 3rd time zone can be set by adjusting the bezel to the appropriate time off set.

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by berin View Post
    What Dave said. I use mine for travel all the time. I leave red hand set to UK time, so I can always see what time it is at home by reading the bezel set at 24/12, as in your picture.
    The quick set hour hand I set to local time, and a 3rd time zone can be set by adjusting the bezel to the appropriate time off set.

Lovely watch by the way, looks like a great example, hope you enjoy it.

I’ve a Pepsi bezel in mine, how hard are they to change?

Craftsman
    Great watch OP. It looks like a nice example. I love mine, very versatile with options to change bezel and strap.

Lovely watch by the way, looks like a great example, hope you enjoy it.

I’ve a Pepsi bezel in mine, how hard are they to change?

Easy enough to do, just dont loose the spring

Bloody lovely! GMT is definitely my next watch of choice.

Craftsman
    The downside I have with the 16710 is wearing it in rotation and not having a quickset date is a pain. Great watch and a first world problem!

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by mangoosian View Post
    The downside I have with the 16710 is wearing it in rotation and not having a quickset date is a pain. Great watch and a first world problem!

You need a 16700 then.

My 16710 and my G shock are about the only watches I wear these days so the quickset date is not a requirement for me.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    You need a 16700 then.

My 16710 and my G shock are about the only watches I wear these days so the quickset date is not a requirement for me.
    Have been thinking that. Would probably need to let the 16710 go. Decisions. Decisions.

Craftsman
    Can always get a winder.

My solution may just be to wear it most of the time :)

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mangoosian View Post

I find the quick set hour really useful, and I usually keep the watch on a winder to avoid lots of crown twiddling. I use Boxy winders, easy to set and stackable and not too dear, for watches with some complications that mean it's fiddly to set

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Petewon View Post
    Great watch OP. It looks like a nice example. I love mine, very versatile with options to change bezel and strap.

Easy enough to do, just dont loose the spring
    Any videos or instructions anywhere I could look at?

Craftsman
    Can always get a winder.

My solution may just be to wear it most of the time :)
    I did have it on a winder but got conflicted about whether it was overworking/overwearing (Amazon Chinese job with Japanese motor).

Looked at the Barrington offerings but I do not have any access hole to run power into my safe and don't really want to drill it (as that could be a task in itself). I could get their single winder and run it off batteries I guess.

16710 is a lovely watch but it is rotating with other equally nice watches I like to wear rather than safe queen.

Anyway, great choice OP and enjoy your new acquisition.

Sent from my [device_name] using TZ-UK mobile app
    Last edited by mangoosian; 27th April 2018 at 11:56.

Master
    Lovely watch, congrats!

I felt the same about the fine detail when I got my polar explorer, I was really surprised at how small the writing was on the dial. Like you say, a result of ogling all those photos on-line.

Regarding the setting of the hands, this might help, I believe that the Explorer II has the same movement as your GMT. I have this saved on my phone for quick reference.

EXPLORER II (QUICKSET)
    Pos. 1 – Wearing position:
    Fully screwed-down crown. In this position the watch is sealed tight providing full protection for the movement. The watch is ready to be worn.
    Pos. 2 – Hand winding position:
    Crown unscrewed counterclockwise to the point where it is free of the screw threads. In this position the watch is ready for manual hand winding by turning the crown clockwise approximately 40 full times. If the watch has not been worn for 1 or 2 days, it will be necessary to rewind the watch in order to fully charge the movement and to guarantee that it will run properly.
    Pos. 3 – Hour hand change position:
    Crown pulled out to the first notch. Position for rapidly changing the hour in one hour jumps by turning the crown clockwise or counterclockwise. During this process the watch will continue to run properly. This is the same position for quickly setting the date.
    Pos. 3 – Date change position:
    Crown pulled out to the first notch. Position for rapidly changing the date by moving the hour hand in one hour jumps past the midnight position two times. During this process the watch will continue to run properly.
    Pos. 4 – Time setting position:
    Crown pulled out to the last notch. Position for setting the time by moving the hands either clockwise or counterclockwise. The second hand is stopped automatically and will not advance again until the crown is pushed back to Position 2. Once the time and date has been set, screw the crown back in tightly to make the watch pressure-proof once again.

Personally, I find that the GMT II/Explorer II jump-hour function beats a somewhat-quicker-setting date mechanism, especially since it allows the date to be adjusted forward or backward.

In practice, the date setting usually takes barely any longer and is sometimes faster than a conventional quickset; it's a very limited downside that gives the significant upside of an independent 24-hour display and being able to change time zones without stopping the watch.

Beautiful!!!! Congratulations!

I too was after a nice crisp 16710 and I found my 2000 A-Serial which I absolutely love.

Craftsman
    This is funny. Just looking at my watch I realised what you mean as my 24 hour hand is indeed tracking to current UK time. I hadn't twigged due to it reading off the 24 hr markers. I need to relearn to tell the time with an hour hand that goes round once every 24 hrs and reads from the bezel

Master
    It’s actually really useful on long haul flights to set the bezel triangle to the time you are due to land.

Works as a sort of countdown.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Chalet View Post
    It’s actually really useful on long haul flights to set the bezel triangle to the time you are due to land.

Works as a sort of countdown.
    Ooh I like that

What a cool little watch this is

Maybe it's time to get the rest of my collection on the SC

Master
    Ooh I like that

What a cool little watch this is

Maybe it's time to get the rest of my collection on the SC
    There’s a lovely Daytona there at the moment. Attracting a lot of heat.

Craftsman
    Ha I dare not comment on that one