closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: California Digital License Plates introduced this week

Blog Entries

California Digital License Plates introduced this week

Blog Entries
    How soon before Facebook has an ad on one?

They’ll need some training in the prison workshops!

Looks like something from a long time in the past that they predicted would be the norm 'in the future'...without any refining. Updates to it showing stolen status and missing people? Such a prime target for some mass mischief!

Master
    Looks like a great idea to me. With a simple hack your plate will go blank at the push of a button as you speed past the camera.

Blog Entries
    In general, Government and Information Technology don't mix well... is my opinion. It's heading for disaster. Also, sticking something 'electronic + verifiable = traceable' springs to mind. It's only a matter of time before some genius/evil mind comes up with a tracker-chip in the plate...

Menno

Master
    Commyfornia loves wasting money...

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by thieuster View Post
    In general, Government and Information Technology don't mix well... is my opinion. It's heading for disaster. Also, sticking something 'electronic + verifiable = traceable' springs to mind. It's only a matter of time before some genius/evil mind comes up with a tracker-chip in the plate...

Menno
    They don't have to do that.... it's already there in your mobile phone! ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by Maris View Post
    Looks like a great idea to me. With a simple hack your plate will go blank at the push of a button as you speed past the camera.
    Whilst simultaneously transmitting your excessive speed directly to the fines department and dvla so your points can be added in real time too!

Also, sticking something 'electronic + verifiable = traceable' springs to mind. It's only a matter of time before some genius/evil mind comes up with a tracker-chip in the plate...

Menno
    Quote Originally Posted by solwisesteve View Post
    They don't have to do that.... it's already there in your mobile phone! ;-)
    It’s probably already in there somewhere.

I can see no appeal whatsoever in them.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    Whilst simultaneously transmitting your excessive speed directly to the fines department and dvla so your points can be added in real time too!
    This may already be happening here without people realising. Digital number plates are not necessary. Most new cars seem to be constantly connected to the manufacturer -and therefore the authorities. My new Mercedes certainly is.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim W View Post
    This may already be happening here without people realising. Digital number plates are not necessary. Most new cars seem to be constantly connected to the manufacturer -and therefore the authorities. My new Mercedes certainly is.
    I can't imagine it would be good PR for any brand to be found sharing info with the authorities.

Quote Originally Posted by Optimum View Post
    I can't imagine it would be good PR for any brand to be found sharing info with the authorities.
    Modern cars already have connectivity. It's only a matter of time before the government make use of it. They keep bringing up the subject of 'Road Pricing', it's the same thing.
    New number plates will not be necessary.

Blog Entries

Menno
    Already in lots of cars. My last Range Rover and the new E-Pace both have them fitted. App on the phone shows journeys, mpg, distance, times etc. Only a matter of time (now?) before it's getting hacked by some govt agency.
    https://www.jaguar.co.uk/incontrol/i...ity/index.html
    Last edited by oldoakknives; 25th April 2018 at 18:15.

I imagine cruising the highway and seeing some kind of warning on a licence plate. I want to read, so I move closer to the car in front me. Closer. Bit more and.. ups, too close.

Quote Originally Posted by Normunds View Post
    I imagine cruising the highway and seeing some kind of warning on a licence plate. I want to read, so I move closer to the car in front me. Closer. Bit more and.. ups, too close.
    Given it's California, you can guarantee that warning will read:

This product contains chemicals known to the State of California to cause cancer

Would love one of those - eat my dust, suckers!
    Fas est ab hoste doceri

Absolute triumph of technology making something there was no demand or need for.

Number of times per million a plastic printed plate fails - perhaps 2 ?

Number of times per million these idiotic things are going to fail .... 500? 1000?

- cracked clear screen, faulty display pixels, battery flat, microchip/board failure, too heavy and falls off, hackable more easily, non conformation to the rest of the world.....

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

It does indeed seem to be a solution to a problem that didn't exist - but I am sure a company is going to be making a shedload of money out of it somewhere.

I am in my 40's, so no luddite, but I do sometimes wonder at the need to use technology to complicate a situation where it is simply not needed or justified.
    So clever my foot fell off.

Quote Originally Posted by TheFlyingBanana View Post
    It does indeed seem to be a solution to a problem that didn't exist - but I am sure a company is going to be making a shedload of money out of it somewhere.

I am in my 40's, so no luddite, but I do sometimes wonder at the need to use technology to complicate a situation where it is simply not needed or justified.
    Even if it does become the norm, I don’t think it’ll be for long. As more cars come with embedded chips and connectivity, there will be no need for number plates for the powers that be to identify any vehicle on the road or otherwise.
    All it will be is an advertising panel which, again will be quickly superseded by paper thin LCD (or more likely LCD paint) making the whole car an advertising bill board which won’t be a problem because they’ll all be driverless anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    Even if it does become the norm, I don’t think it’ll be for long. As more cars come with embedded chips and connectivity, there will be no need for number plates for the powers that be to identify any vehicle on the road or otherwise.
    All it will be is an advertising panel which, again will be quickly superseded by paper thin LCD (or more likely LCD paint) making the whole car an advertising bill board which won’t be a problem because they’ll all be driverless anyway.
    You could well be right - and I'll add to that the majority won't own their own cars anyhow - just book them via an app whenever they need them.

In many ways it's a potentially great step forward.
    So clever my foot fell off.

Perfect answer to the question nobody ever asked.

Craftsman
    Recipe for disaster them

Quote Originally Posted by TheFlyingBanana View Post
    You could well be right - and I'll add to that the majority won't own their own cars anyhow - just book them via an app whenever they need them.

In many ways it's a potentially great step forward.
    I think that will take a lot longer; car ownership is so well ingrained that it’ll be a long time after the systems are introduced before it truly becomes the norm.

Seventeen year olds today are likely to always want to own/ lease their vehicles so that’s another 50+years and it’s not even been introduced yet!

I still struggle with the concept of leasing a car rather than owning it even though the maths tell me it’s the better option. I’m sure that there are many others like me.

Master
    Another case of technology for technologies sake I feel.

Craftsman
    not reflective so can't see them coming to us anytime.

Look terrible IMO

A step closer to bladerunner. Next we’ll all be wearing silver suits, carrying neon umbrellas and recharging Darryl Hannah next to our iPhones

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk