closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Recommend me a reasonably priced and reasonably sized field watch.

Recommend me a reasonably priced and reasonably sized field watch.

I'm looking at options for a field watch for weekend wear. Must be 36-38mm, no date and max budget of about £350.

So far I am considering the following, in order from lowest to highest price:

Citizen Eco-drive BM8180-03E. 37mm and only £80 (argos seem to have got the size info wrong, it's not 40mm it's 37mm)

http://www.argos.co.uk/product/2513306

Timex Archive Waterbury United. Only £95 and 38mm.

https://www.timex.co.uk/waterbury-un...2R53400LG.html

Moving up the price point we have the Smiths PRS-29a at 36mm for £345:

http://www.timefactors.com/smithsprs29.htm

and also the Hamilton Khaki field mechanical, 38mm and £375:

https://shopuk.hamiltonwatch.com/h69...SABEgKaBPD_BwE

There must be a lot of other options out there in the field. I'm sure that Seiko must have a lot to offer at this price point but I'm not aware of any particular models. So what would you recommend and what have I missed? Quartz is allowed and maybe even preferred at this price point.
    Last edited by Rocket Man; 24th April 2018 at 19:51.

I have the PRS29a and I don't think you can go wrong with that to be honest. It's my go-to, don't have to worry about it watch. It's also got superior field watch specs than the others. Water resistance, fixed bars, anti-magnetic, very good lume. The Hamilton has the date feature but at the weekend this is less of plus. Throw in the history and the vfm, it's a no-brainer. The plastic may put you off as it will pick up scratches. But knowing I can remove them makes me not care about them. An added bonus on my one is it's very accurate. If I fell on hard times and had to sell all my watches, I'd keep the 29a. You can probably tell I'm a fan.

And it's British.

I'm intrigued by the Hamilton, but another vote for the PRS29a here. I had one, sold it, but would buy again without hesitation. It's all the watch anyone really needs - whereas in contrast both the cheaper watches are aesthetically compromised to a degree, and every time I looked at it I'd wished I spent more.

If you can pick one up used, I would add Seiko's SBCA001 as being a well made, simple (quartz) field watch which matches your criteria.

Might be of a bit left field but having owned and sold the PRS29a and the Hamilton among a succession of maybe 30 watches that would fit the "field" designation, I ended up completely happy with a quartz Traser. Permanent light is such a useful feature on this sort of watch and the watches themselves are Swiss made with reliable ronda movements. The cases are great too; tough and reliable with a low profile.

Traser also have a service operation in the UK that is; swift effective and reasonably priced. I my case i was given a well used and broken watch that Traser brought back to life with a; new movement, reseal and a sapphire crystal for £110.

If you are still set on the PRS29a and the Hamilton the former is streets ahead in terms of quality and wrist presence. In the end i realised that it's just not something i would use in the field. After buying and selling 4 of the things i've concluded that is why i don't keep them. The Hamilton is something i would leave in a field, fantastic on paper or in pictures but deeply disappointing in the flesh.
    Last edited by raysablade; 24th April 2018 at 23:37.

Why not get a CWC G10 or even a Pulsar one pre owned for about £60? Pulsar also have similar quartz ones new for about £40 - £60

Quote Originally Posted by raysablade View Post
    The Hamilton is something i would leave in a field, fantastic on paper or in pictures but deeply disappointing in the flesh.
    Interesting; I had both as well, still have the Hamilton and would thoroughly recommend it. Did you have this version (the no-date, vintage-inspired one)? I'd be interested to hear what you disliked about it in the flesh.

Grand Master
    Having owned the Khaki Field Auto, and currently hankering after another one, i'd go for the Hamilton personally.
    ktmog6uk
    marchingontogether!

I have the citizen... it is cheap and the plastic face easily scratches. I’d spend a bit more to be honest.

I have the Hamilton, it's a fine watch. I like the fact that it is a 2801 hand winder with 20mm lugs, it works with lots of straps.

Quote Originally Posted by Saxon007 View Post
    I have the Hamilton, it's a fine watch. I like the fact that it is a 2801 hand winder with 20mm lugs, it works with lots of straps.

Looks great been considering the Hamilton myself. Seems a really great price for the watch. Ticks a lot of boxes too.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Master
    For a weekend/field watch then I'm a big fan of the Citizen Eco-Drive. For a weekend watch you want, IMHO, quartz or face the fact that every saturday am you will be resetting it. Also you want something that can cope with the rough handling of the weekend.... gardening, DiY, etc.... again I think a quartz has the edge here (and yes, I agree, just because a watch is an auto doen't always infer that it's going to dislike the rough stuff). I have two Citizen ecos. My old one (I'd have to guess but I'm thinking it's at least 6 or 7 years old now) is now my work/office backup watch. The one I purchased last year gets the proverbial kicked out of every weekend it but shrugs the rough handling off without a complaint. I'd agree though, push the boat out and get one with a glass/crystal face otherwise all the rough handling is going to get the plastic scratched pretty darn quick.

Quote Originally Posted by JackW View Post
    Interesting; I had both as well, still have the Hamilton and would thoroughly recommend it. Did you have this version (the no-date, vintage-inspired one)? I'd be interested to hear what you disliked about it in the flesh.
    You are right I haven’t had the new one and should have read the OP better. However my problem with Hamiltons isn’t just the dials and hands, that have suffered from a very flat and “printed” feel and poor lume, the cases also felt wrong. Minimal finishing should be appropriate in a military style watch but on the Hamilton’s I’ve had it’s been done in a way that makes the package feel like it’s been built as cheaply as possible. Quite why l don’t get that with CWCs or the 29a is mystery but it seems to be a common experience.

Something I love about my Traser, as a field watch, is that it feels that the style has has been taken as far as it can; you can’t buy a better permanent light, steel cased watch. That’s something ive never felt with the Hamilton’s I’ve owned. The new watch might be different.

I've had the Hamilton Khaki mechanical, it was sold on pretty quickly. Nowt wrong with it really, I just didn't warm to it at all, it was missing that X factor.

Quote Originally Posted by Papa Hotel View Post
    I've had the Hamilton Khaki mechanical, it was sold on pretty quickly. Nowt wrong with it really, I just didn't warm to it at all, it was missing that X factor.
    +1. Should tick all the boxes but can't help feeling it could be much better. Hands are too short and skinny, for one and not a fan of the seconds hand. 24 hr numbering, though more subtle than the auto, bugs me as I don't see the point of them unless you can't count past 12. Case and crown size are nice, though, but it still goes unworn and yet for some reason can't bring myself to get rid.

You are right I haven’t had the new one and should have read the OP better. However my problem with Hamiltons isn’t just the dials and hands, that have suffered from a very flat and “printed” feel and poor lume, the cases also felt wrong. Minimal finishing should be appropriate in a military style watch but on the Hamilton’s I’ve had it’s been done in a way that makes the package feel like it’s been built as cheaply as possible. Quite why l don’t get that with CWCs or the 29a is mystery but it seems to be a common experience.
    Thanks for the explanation, I think I know what you're getting at. You're absolutely right about the lume, which is poor performance for a field watch. In all other respects the new one is better than the other Khaki's I've handled, but that's just my humble opinion of course. To me it's definitely on par with my CWC - if it's the G10 you're comparing it to.

Something I love about my Traser, as a field watch, is that it feels that the style has has been taken as far as it can; you can’t buy a better permanent light, steel cased watch. That’s something ive never felt with the Hamilton’s I’ve owned. The new watch might be different.
    I never got on with the Traser I've owned, but reading your post maybe I should give the brand another try.

northward
    Seiko 5 are always a good bet for reasonably priced and good quality.

For example:
    https://cdn3.volusion.com/htlyr.vuqk...jpg?1408684729

I never got on with the Traser I've owned, but reading your post maybe I should give the brand another try.
    I did write a long, maybe boring, piece about it.

I did write a long, maybe boring, piece about it.
    Thanks. Not boring at all; very recognizable in fact. Unfortunately the pictures no longer work, so I'm still not sure about the looks.

Traser

I've never looked at Traser before but they seem like a good option, thanks.

Unfortunately the pictures no longer work, so I'm still not sure about the looks.
    I've put some back in the thread.

My search continues...

I took a look at Traser and found a model that I like the look of, the P59 essential S Blue.

https://www.traser.com/our-collectio...tial-s-blue-1/

The only problem is that I can't find a stockist!

So my search continues. I'd prefer a quartz grab n' go and would be interested in hearing about any options from Seiko.
    Last edited by Rocket Man; 28th April 2018 at 15:49.

Quote Originally Posted by henk View Post
    You obviously answered your own question so no need to comment any further

Sent from my [device_name] using TZ-UK mobile app
    Did you even read my post? I'm asking for alternative options and recommendations.
    Last edited by Rocket Man; 28th April 2018 at 17:41.

Quote Originally Posted by SimonConnell View Post
    If you can pick one up used, I would add Seiko's SBCA001 as being a well made, simple (quartz) field watch which matches your criteria.
    I put this on yesterday, after it had sat for at least a month. Rugged, well styled, and cheap enough not to worry about:

Quote Originally Posted by SimonConnell View Post
    I put this on yesterday, after it had sat for at least a month. Rugged, well styled, and cheap enough not to worry about: ]
    That's perfect!

What a shame it's been discontinued.

Apprentice
    Seiko alchemist comes in mind if you can find one

I'd second the suggestion of a CWC G10, bargains second hand but if you prefer new they still take some beating as a rough and ready quartz beater in their price point.

https://www.cwcwatch.com/collections...-battery-hatch

Quote Originally Posted by jklee369 View Post
    Seiko alchemist comes in mind if you can find one
    I assume you mean the Alpinist, unless the Alchemist is some rare Seiko made of precious metal.

The Alpinist is a lovely watch, I've owned one and might try it again bit I think a quartz might suit my needs better.
    Last edited by Rocket Man; 29th April 2018 at 10:16.

Journeyman
    I've seen this crop up a few times but can someone explain to me what a "field watch" is? Do you wear one whist out walking, wear one whilst ploughing or bailing, what on earth is a "field watch"? The pics seem to show quasi-military type watches, anyone explain?

Quote Originally Posted by Bayleaf View Post
    I've seen this crop up a few times but can someone explain to me what a "field watch" is? Do you wear one whist out walking, wear one whilst ploughing or bailing, what on earth is a "field watch"? The pics seem to show quasi-military type watches, anyone explain?
    http://www.knownman.com/best-field-watches-for-men/

Another vote for the Hamilton Khaki for me too.

Journeyman
    Thanks for the link, a 'field watch' is a rugged watch with lume for walking or camping...so basically any semi decent watch above £25, pref quartz as mecho makes no sense if getting bashed,, so surely a G-Shock or of similar ilk is the best?

Master
    Blog Entries
    G10, £45 off eBay, highly accurate.

However, lead to the W10.

CWC G10 – 2005

SmithsW10 - 1967

Last edited by Montello; 30th April 2018 at 10:58. Reason: Postimg.org is down

Journeyman
    Pulsar is pretty average, get the CWC if you can. Smith PRS-29a is out of stock.

How about Marathon general purpose one? It might be small for you (34mm)
    https://www.longislandwatch.com/Mara...hes_s/1931.htm

Some good suggestions so far, keep them coming.

I'm not crazy about the look of G shocks and I think they will be too big for me.

I'm really looking for a simple, military style watch and the Seiko SBCA001 would be ideal (if it wasn't discontinued).

The CWC G10 is well worth considering but I prefer the looks of the Seiko.

Master
    I love the Hamilton which I bought from a Forum member and liked it so much that I bought a quartz version as well. I don't understand the criticisms expressed above which I can only put down to personal tastes.

As you can't buy a PRS-29a new at the moment that leaves the Hamilton as the logical choice and there are several variations in movement/size etc to suit most tastes. A purist might still go for a secondhand 29a 36mm, hand wound with acrylic crystal and I wouldn't dissuade them - just not for me.

Quote Originally Posted by davidj54 View Post
    Thanks for the suggestion, nice looking watch but at 42mm it's too large for me unfortunately. I'm looking for something 36-38mm.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket Man View Post
    Thanks for the suggestion, nice looking watch but at 42mm it's too large for me unfortunately. I'm looking for something 36-38mm.
    Yeah sorry realise that now. Agree it's a nice, interesting design, but too big.

If I was you I'd get the Hamilton Khaki Field Automatic. 38mm, 2824 movement, sapphire crystal, brand quality, classic field watch design, strap monster. Get it on the bracelet and buy a good quality leather to mix it up with. For everything you've described it seems like the most natural choice by far.

Here's a thought.

If you are set on compact dimensions and willing to wait for the perfect watch Seiko did a magnificent SUS series a few years ago. Essentially a quartz IWC MK12. You could make do with a Timex Expedition in the meantime.

Here is a recent "sold" example from ebay. Its a package I wish Eddie would pay homage to.

Here's a thought.

If you are set on compact dimensions and willing to wait for the perfect watch Seiko did a magnificent SUS series a few years ago. Essentially a quartz IWC MK12. You could make do with a Timex Expedition in the meantime.

Here is a recent "sold" example from ebay. Its a package I wish Eddie would pay homage to.
    That's a great option! I didn't know about this model so thanks.

I also emailed Traser who got back to me to say that they will soon have the new P59 Essential models in stock.

I think they look pretty good:

https://www.traser.com/our-collectio...e/p59-classic/

Here's a thought.

Yes nice watches. The 4S15 versions are very expensive. I was surprised this sold for as much being a 7N21. Any reason why you put "sold" in quotes?

Quote Originally Posted by Bodo View Post
    Any reason why you put "sold" in quotes?
    I guess I was trying to imply that the OP shouldn’t be paying that much. WTB here and in other forums should secure a good example for less. That said I agree that the prices don’t seem to stop rising as they should for such a good package. I’m very sad that I sold mine, for a lot less than £100 iirc.

'Field watch' is an Americanism that now seems to have become a blanket description (like 'Hoovering') for any vaguely military type watch. You'll rarely see a British military watch described as such.

I guess I was trying to imply that the OP shouldn’t be paying that much. WTB here and in other forums should secure a good example for less. That said I agree that the prices don’t seem to stop rising as they should for such a good package. I’m very sad that I sold mine, for a lot less than £100 iirc.
    Yeh I would agree. The watch did sell to my surprise (I was the seller) for that amount to a guy in the states. Would I pay that? No. :)

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Geralt View Post
    'Field watch' is an Americanism that now seems to have become a blanket description (like 'Hoovering') for any vaguely military type watch. You'll rarely see a British military watch described as such.
    Unless........

It's called the Field Engineer Chronograph from The Marine Chronometer Company!

Field Engineers often travel the world to lot's of very hostile climates and then find themselves in the field and sitting in meetings with managers, directors and lawyers, so they need a watch that can survive the rigours of frequent travel, humidity, dust, temperatures, airplane air-conditioning, the odd swimming pool, and still look smart and distinctive in the boardroom. This isn't a made up backstory just to sell watches either as April saw me in the Amazon (which is unusual for a subsea engineer but very interesting) and North Africa as well as good old London with it's very variable climate.

[IMG][/IMG]

Quote Originally Posted by Bodo View Post
    Yes nice watches. The 4S15 versions are very expensive. I was surprised this sold for as much being a 7N21. Any reason why you put "sold" in quotes?

Here's a thought.
    If you are set on compact dimensions and willing to wait for the perfect watch Seiko did a magnificent SUS series a few years ago. Essentially a quartz IWC MK12
    Thanks gentlemen, you may have found the watch that I've been looking for.

Could you please educate me about the SUS series and why the 4S15 versions are so expensive?

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket Man View Post
    Thanks gentlemen, you may have found the watch that I've been looking for.

Could you please educate me about the SUS series and why the 4S15 versions are so expensive?
    Personally I'm not a fan, but from what I know the 4S15 is a very desirable movement that didn't have much exposure and was the foundation for the 6R15 movement but based on rbe 5200 movement. This in combination with the limited release of the 4S15 SUS range makes them just that much more desirable. But for me are a little overhyped as is the case with most Seiko atm. So whilst you might have to pay around 600 plus for one, I'd say that's a little too much. But if you can get one around that price and can justify it and don't see anything else that would be worth the spend then, well it would certainly be a nice watch to own.

More info here.

https://www.watch-wiki.net/index.php?title=Seiko_4S15

http://wornandwound.com/affordable-v...4s15-military/
    Last edited by Bodo; 1st May 2018 at 20:49.