closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Time's up for analogue clocks

Time's up for analogue clocks

It would seem that the writing, or digital display anyway, is on the wall - https://www.tes.com/news/why-cant-gc...analogue-clock

Blog Entries
    A youf or youfess who cannot tell the time on a analogue clock gives a window into a very worrying world.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by KavKav View Post
    A youf or youfess who cannot tell the time on a analogue clock gives a window into a very worrying world.

Staggering and horrifying

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's astonishing. My children were only allowed analogue watches until they could tell the time by them. I bought my oldest a digital Casio but she wears it very infrequently, far preferring her 'proper' watch.

Quote Originally Posted by KavKav View Post
    2 weeks ago my best mate and I entered a charity boxing competition, he got knocked out in the 2nd Round and as part of the doctors examination post fight she asked him if he could tell the time on her datejust.
    He could not do it, which was a bit worrying, my bout was up next - I was trying to get in the zone and warm up but I spent the time worrying about my mate. It turns out he was perfectly fine, he can't tell the time on a standard watch, only on a digital clock. He is 38 and an IT genius so not daft!!!! I wouldn't mind but he bought a ceramic Bell and Ross a few years ago and now I think about it, I have never seen him wear it!

I think Dave Allen sums the issue up nicely :) https://youtu.be/0QVPUIRGthI

Blog Entries
    Oh dear. Maybe the lyrics from ‘The Doors’, ‘This is the End...’ becomes appropriate.

I guess this goes hand-in-hand with a lack of grammar, spelling and linguistic skill in youf and ladets today. And (I use ‘and’ at the beginning of the sentence that for dramatic effect - I learnt that at school) no one writes letters by hand - I don’t mean by that abomination the iPen either.

So where does that leave us.

I think with a generation who will demand that being constantly on-line is a human right, shoving and being shoved data bits at all times. People can’t walk on the street without being on a twatter feed or whatever it is.

Our home broadband has been down five days now and it’s like the water has been turned off. My wife has been unable to complete some fbar returns and has had no personal email. I can’t fix a webpage I look after - life is slowly crumbling. Luckily most payments are direct debit else most / all banks penalties you if you don’t do business online.

There was a recent TV drama about what would happen if power (electricity) got cut and it was scarely true prediction that it would only take five days before we start murdering one another. (After three days all mobile masts would run out and all communication breaks down).

We are living on a precipice.

Get off now - start writing letters on paper / penand ink to your loved ones - or even just a post card!!!

Ironically this is a post on a forum.
    M

Quote Originally Posted by Psychomech View Post
    I think Dave Allen sums the issue up nicely :)

Indeed, and Spike Milligan made a few pertinent observations as well.

Last edited by petethegeek; 25th April 2018 at 08:32.

Been thinking about this subject for a while as I wear a watch but find myself looking at my phone or computer for the time 9 times out of 10... So much so that it takes me a moment to think about what time it is on an analogue watch face and 'translate' it to numbers. It seems I've reprogrammed myself to not relate time to hands on a dial like I used to.

It's quite disorientating.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bobbyboy View Post
    it certainly is, what ARE you doing on a watch forum?!

GCSE age kids have the cognitive ability to understand an analogue clock, and they almost certainly will have been taught how, so is the explanation that they simply never see analogue clocks, and have lost whatever fledgling ability they had?

Quote Originally Posted by hogthrob View Post
    GCSE age kids have the cognitive ability to understand an analogue clock, and they almost certainly will have been taught how, so is the explanation that they simply never see analogue clocks, and have lost whatever fledgling ability they had?
    Likely to be largely due to this I would say.

In the 90s and prior most kids would need to read the clock on the wall at school or just forego ever knowing what the time was. Very few kids actually wear watches so it's barely a factor in that regard. They might have been exposed to the odd digital wall clock or digital computer reading but for me, as a kid born in the 90s, 80% of my reading of the time was on analogue clocks.

For kids born 2002++ who have had a smart phone since I would say it's more like 90% from digital readings, mainly smartphones and secondarily laptops.

I’m 42, my daughter’s 11 and I’ve made sure her first few watches were analogue. She too wasn’t allowed a digital till she was completely conversant with telling the time on an analogue watch, just as my father did with me.
    I can still remember vividly how disgusted he was with my first digital Casio! 😂

She only has one digital watch we bought last year whilst away in France, and she wears it infrequently, usually just in the pool etc.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bobbyboy View Post
    Been thinking about this subject for a while as I wear a watch but find myself looking at my phone or computer for the time 9 times out of 10... So much so that it takes me a moment to think about what time it is on an analogue watch face and 'translate' it to numbers. It seems I've reprogrammed myself to not relate time to hands on a dial like I used to.

That's quite interesting because I have a mild case of the opposite syndrome. I can look at a digital watch and determine what time it is superficially, but in order for it to sink in and really relate to it as a time of day, I have to see the analogue version.

Quote Originally Posted by Jambo View Post
    I’m 42, my daughter’s 11 and I’ve made sure her first few watches were analogue. She too wasn’t allowed a digital till she was completely conversant with telling the time on an analogue watch, just as my father did with me.
    I can still remember vividly how disgusted he was with my first digital Casio!

She only has one digital watch we bought last year whilst away in France, and she wears it infrequently, usually just in the pool etc.
    My daughter is 2 next month, she always points and asks to wear one of mine if she is with me whilst I am swapping my watch and holds out her wrist, obviously a novelty for her, but an old J-springs on a nato seems to be an almost acceptable fit. She also seems to have a fascination with her Grandads clock collection (tick tocks as she calls them) Cuckoo and grandfather clocks mainly, so more interested in the noises I guess.

After seeing this in the news today, I want to order a Flick Flack for her right now. SWMBO has curtailed the idea on the grounds of her being too young, but I am genuinely shocked that the yoof of today can’t tell the time on a traditional clock face.

Or is it?

See link: an old tech challenge.