closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Grand Seiko Buying Advice

Apprentice

Grand Seiko Buying Advice

Afternoon all,

Although I made my account a while ago I’m quite new round here.

I’m in the market for a new watch and have narrowed down my choices to 2 options.

The first watch I’ve looked at is the Nomos Club date Atlantic 41.5mm with the navy blue dial, WoS in Glasgow were kind enough to have a sit down so I can have a look at the watch, try it on etc. And with it being a Nomos it’s been quite easy to research prices in terms of whether it’s worth buying new or used and where to look.

However my second option which I’ve admired for a long time is the Grand Seiko Hi-beat GMT (not seen one in person as of yet) with the black dial, I’d be in the used market for one of these but struggling to find a base price in which I should be looking. Just wondering if anyone can share what one of these in a good used condition may be setting me me back? I’ve also been advised to look at the market in Japan, anyone have any experience of ordering from Japan and the charges which may ensue?

Appreciate any advise on this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Wyley; 24th April 2018 at 23:48. Reason: Typo in title

Master
    Check watch finder - the've recently started selling GS and have a few Hi Beat GMTs around the £4k mark. Still a bit over what you would find on SC here - so stick around and you might pick up a bargain once you get access.

http://www.watchfinder.co.uk/Search?q=grand+seiko+gmt

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Wyley View Post
    Afternoon all,

Although I made my account a while ago I’m quite new round here.

I’m in the market for a new watch and have narrowed down my choices to 2 options.

The first watch I’ve looked at is the Nomos Club date Atlantic 41.5mm with the navy blue dial, WoS in Glasgow were kind enough to have a sit down so I can have a look at the watch, try it on etc. And with it being a Nomos it’s been quite easy to research prices in terms of whether it’s worth buying new or used and where to look.

However my second option which I’ve admired for a long time is the Grand Seiko Hi-beat GMT (not seen one in person as of yet) with the black dial, I’d be in the used market for one of these but struggling to find a base price in which I should be looking. Just wondering if anyone can share what one of these in a good used condition may be setting me me back? I’ve also been advised to look at the market in Japan, anyone have any experience of ordering from Japan and the charges which may ensue?

Appreciate any advise on this.

Hello,

Have a wander down to James Porter and Sons in the argyle arcade, AD for Grand Seiko and usually have a decent level of stock to browse and try on...will also likely offer a discount if you ask nicely!

Pete

Does it have to be the hi-beat version? My SBGM023 is just the automatic - still stunning - just whether you feel the honest worth that extra coin I guess

Ordering from Japan is a good option - especially with older models, GS will have sold in greater volume in the domestic market meaning there is wider choice and often better pricing.

I would suggest using a proxy such as From Japan, who can buy for you from Rakuten, Yahoo Japan and other marketplaces. They will intermediate by handling payment of the seller, and onward shipping from their warehouse in Japan to your location.

Their fees for this can be very reasonable - so the only thing to make sure you factor in when looking at prices in JPY are the import duties you may be liable for when the watch arrives into the UK.

Don’t forget that like any used marketplace, stock comes and goes. So it can be worth searching regularly to get a sense of what comes into the market, and pricing. Occasionally the markets will have 5% or 10% discount days - if you sign up to a proxy like From Japan they will give you a heads-up e-mail.

The other thing to watch out for is bracelet length - the description and photos will state the current bracelet length and if any spare links are provided. Buying a watch which is short a few links, especially if it’s an out-of-production JDM model, is a short route to a headache.

Master
    There's actually a 10% off rakuten promo now with From Japan.

Good luck!

Sent from my Huawei Mate 10 Pro using Tapatalk

Just noticed thread title Grank

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by KingKitega View Post
    Check watch finder - the've recently started selling GS and have a few Hi Beat GMTs around the £4k mark. Still a bit over what you would find on SC here - so stick around and you might pick up a bargain once you get access.

http://www.watchfinder.co.uk/Search?q=grand+seiko+gmt
    I’ll take a look, last time I checked watch finder it had nothing on there, cheers!

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by peterdo View Post
    Hello,

Have a wander down to James Porter and Sons in the argyle arcade, AD for Grand Seiko and usually have a decent level of stock to browse and try on...will also likely offer a discount if you ask nicely!

Pete

Cheers Pete, unfortunately I was only in Glasgow for work, I’m from Manchester and the stores in which GS advise stock the watch are places like Fraser Hart who after checking it looks like they don’t.

Might be taking a trip down to a London soon so going to nip in to the Seiko boutique and see what they have.

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by RustyBin5 View Post
    Does it have to be the hi-beat version? My SBGM023 is just the automatic - still stunning - just whether you feel the honest worth that extra coin I guess

The only reason i was Looking at the Hi-beat is because I saw the hi-beat 3600, with the red accents and instantly wanted it, but after the picture you have sent I may widen my search, beautiful watch by the way.

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by SimonConnell View Post
    Ordering from Japan is a good option - especially with older models, GS will have sold in greater volume in the domestic market meaning there is wider choice and often better pricing.

I would suggest using a proxy such as From Japan, who can buy for you from Rakuten, Yahoo Japan and other marketplaces. They will intermediate by handling payment of the seller, and onward shipping from their warehouse in Japan to your location.

Their fees for this can be very reasonable - so the only thing to make sure you factor in when looking at prices in JPY are the import duties you may be liable for when the watch arrives into the UK.

Don’t forget that like any used marketplace, stock comes and goes. So it can be worth searching regularly to get a sense of what comes into the market, and pricing. Occasionally the markets will have 5% or 10% discount days - if you sign up to a proxy like From Japan they will give you a heads-up e-mail.

The other thing to watch out for is bracelet length - the description and photos will state the current bracelet length and if any spare links are provided. Buying a watch which is short a few links, especially if it’s an out-of-production JDM model, is a short route to a headache.
    Appreciate this a lot mate,

I've got set up on form and had a scan through, even found a very nice Presage which I may put a bid in for.

Thankfully I have quite small wrists so will more than likely need to take links out rather than add any which may save some hassle.

Again thanks very much for the help on this.

Quote Originally Posted by Wyley View Post
    The only reason i was Looking at the Hi-beat is because I saw the hi-beat 3600, with the red accents and instantly wanted it, but after the picture you have sent I may widen my search, beautiful watch by the way.

That hi beat is stunning

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by KingKitega View Post
    There's actually a 10% off rakuten promo now with From Japan.

Good luck!

Sent from my Huawei Mate 10 Pro using Tapatalk
    Thanks mate,

just got set up and Form, hoping to try a GS person before making the decision between that and the Nomos so I'm probably going to miss this.

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by RustyBin5 View Post
    Just noticed thread title Grank

Edited*

and iPhone's auto-correct is supposed to be good!

Master
    Nomos make good watches, but Grand Seiko make better. You can sense that as soon as you handle them. But they cost more too. Best place to buy could be sales corner, if and when you can access it. Usually a few good GS models available. Easier than Japan. Although I bought from Higuchi without fuss.