closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best small barbecue

Master

Best small barbecue

looking for a small barbecue to cook for 4+6 people, dont mind gas, charcoal or electric, easier the better really!

Weber Q series would fit the bill (gas).

For something slightly different take a look at the Lotus Grill. Charcoal, but has a battery powered fan in the bottom so is ready to cook in under 5 mins. Perfect for breakfast on the beach.

Added benefit of being double walled so can be picked up at any time or used on the garden table without causing damage.

Weber Q series. Great BBQ, Gas lasts for ages , and the grill is easy to clean.

Blog Entries
    Cobb. Easy to transport as well.

https://www.cobb-bbq.co.uk

Menno

Master
    Blog Entries
    For a slightly leftfield solution, if you ever fancy a proper paella in the mix, we use a paella stand and burner with a griddle plate:

Quote Originally Posted by tiny73 View Post
    Yes, well pleased with mine:

https://www.riversidegardencentre.co...ith-stand.html

Craftsman
    https://biggreenegg.com/

Love mine although I’ve only got the small one

Master
    Broil King are quality - mine's 4 years old and still going strong. The grill is unbelievably solid.

I bought one of these as a beach/portable BBQ 10 years ago. We use it for 90% of the BBQs we have (family of 4), and I have catered for 12 on it with ease. One hand portable, it is really good.

they do a gas version, if yo like that type of thing, I prefer charcoal myself.

Dave

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by edzt View Post
    https://biggreenegg.com/

Love mine although I’ve only got the small one
    I’d recommend getting a large too. Much more flexibility with what can be done.

On topic, the smaller Weber Q series are great. Solid quality, good cooking area and can be easily carried, transported on camping trips etc away

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by thieuster View Post
    Cobb. Easy to transport as well.

https://www.cobb-bbq.co.uk

Menno
    I’ve got one of those. Cool little things where it can cook a whole chicken or bake your morning bread and I’ve used it a fair few times. I’ve found that getting it hot easily can be a problem, the other down side is that heat control is an issue.

weber Q they do 3 sizes in gas so one will fit the size your after

Quote Originally Posted by sweets View Post
    I bought one of these as a beach/portable BBQ 10 years ago. We use it for 90% of the BBQs we have (family of 4), and I have catered for 12 on it with ease. One hand portable, it is really good.

Dave

I will +1 this, I really rate mine when we go to the beach, or camping. I would also use it at home if it was not for the Weber performer that stands on duty, and benefit from a cast iron centre grill which works wonders when hot with a proper steak.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Master

Dave
    12 on that ‘with ease’, what the devil were you cooking, just sausages / burgers.

Even using either a 3 burner Weber, a 58cm kettle or an XL BGE unless it’s a few hunks of pork shoulder, or a dozen racks of ribs (on the egg), then I struggle to imagine how you’ve got enough grill real estate?

I’ve got one of these and the smokey joe for small BBQs but can never imagine cooking for a dozen people on it.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Another vote for the Lotus grill. Great piece of kit that runs off very little charcoal.
    Had mine a few years and great to get out for a couple

Master
    Blog Entries
    Weber Q from me too.
    Great bit of kit.

Master
    Yep Webber Q at home superb and we have a small cadac for travel also superb

Dave
    This is a great we thing. I've got the charcoal version for camping.

It's fine and does what it's supposed to, but it will spread a fair bit of ash on to your food if it's breezy.

Craftsman
    Another vote for Weber. Very robust and parts are available even for old models. My first kettle lasted 25 years (outside in all weathers) and my gas one is 15 years old and going strong (just replaced the gril bars).

Craftsman
    Might not be small enough but I have just bought a Weber E310 which is getting delivered on Friday

Go for gas, I have used Beefeater gas bbq's both in Australia and the UK for the past 20 years - never saw a charcoal bbq in Australia. A 3-burner would be ideal. Light it up and cooking 5 mins later.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mk2driver View Post
    Might not be small enough but I have just bought a Weber E310 which is getting delivered on Friday
    I’ve got the 320 which is same size so as you say, probably two big for the OP. The 210 might be OK

Quote Originally Posted by gunner View Post
    For something slightly different take a look at the Lotus Grill. Charcoal, but has a battery powered fan in the bottom so is ready to cook in under 5 mins. Perfect for breakfast on the beach.

Added benefit of being double walled so can be picked up at any time or used on the garden table without causing damage.

Love the idea of these are they a decent size? What’s the grill size?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The lotus grill looks so cool just ordered the small one... £123.99 in Anthracite on Amazon.

Getting the BBQ out and cleaning it after is often reason enough not to bother for just the two of us but the lotus breaks down and goes in the dishwasher!

Lots more BBQs this year I reckon.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalMass View Post
    Another vote for Weber. Very robust and parts are available even for old models. My first kettle lasted 25 years (outside in all weathers) and my gas one is 15 years old and going strong (just replaced the gril bars).
    Almost too good aren’t they lol.

My Weber has is now 9yrs old & was purchased at a half price end of season sale for less than £150!!

Love to upgrade to a full stainless Genesis but just can’t justify it yet. Needs some TLC painting the edges of the lid (the matte parts) but that’s the only maintenance in its time.

The middle section of my Smokey Mountain was slightly out of round & caused an air leak (not the best when air control is temp control!) & after emailing them I had a replacement within 48hrs.

Interesting to see if big green egg are going to be as good on a crack in the leg of their £850 table after 2 years!

Quote Originally Posted by Mj2k View Post
    12 on that ‘with ease’, what the devil were you cooking, just sausages / burgers.

Even using either a 3 burner Weber, a 58cm kettle or an XL BGE unless it’s a few hunks of pork shoulder, or a dozen racks of ribs (on the egg), then I struggle to imagine how you’ve got enough grill real estate?

I’ve got one of these and the smokey joe for small BBQs but can never imagine cooking for a dozen people on it.

You can do it, I assure you. Takes a bit of concentration.
    The great thing about these is that the heat also works under it, and I have 2 oven pans that fit perfectly underneath. While the BBQ is warming up I am cooking a thick foil bag of new potatoes, chorizo and rosemary, then when the charcoal is ready, I do the first lap of meaty stuff on top. When it is 2/3 done, that lot gets put underneath to finish off underneath the grill while the second lap on top goes ahead. You can manage a third lap before the charcoal begins to fade, and everything will get to the table hot.

As it begins to go off, it goes under the table to act as central heating (when camping), with its final charge of foil-wrapped bananas slit and filled with rum and chocolate.
    I am not kidding, I have catered every evening meal for a camping party of 6 adults and 7 large kids for a week using one of these. No-one went hungry.

Dave

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Scepticalist View Post
    For a slightly leftfield solution, if you ever fancy a proper paella in the mix, we use a paella stand and burner with a griddle plate:
    ]
    I’ve used one of these on holiday - they are excellent. However it’s perfectly possible to do without. I have a paella pan which neatly fits my Weber kettle and does a sterling job. It’s one of our Sunday lunchtime staples in the summer. I also do a good (but totally inauthentic) biryani in a similar way.

Weber Q for me too! Q1200, highly recommended

Quote Originally Posted by woodacre1983 View Post
    Love the idea of these are they a decent size? What’s the grill size?
    Mine is the XL which is just over 40cm across. They do several sizes though.

Quote Originally Posted by T1ckT0ck View Post
    The lotus grill looks so cool just ordered the small one... £123.99 in Anthracite on Amazon.

Getting the BBQ out and cleaning it after is often reason enough not to bother for just the two of us but the lotus breaks down and goes in the dishwasher!

Lots more BBQs this year I reckon.
    Ordered mine specifically to carry to the beach for bacon sarnies but as you can see from the pic, it gets used at the house too. The Weber is just out of frame...
    Last edited by gunner; 25th April 2018 at 21:07.

Cooking for a dozen Vegans.

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tiny73 View Post
    Hands down agree with this. We used it daily all year (except summer) living in Dubai. Still going well after 4yrs, including two years in damp Dorset. Fantastic BBQ.

Craftsman
    Blog Entries

Dave
    We also have one of these (gas) for camping. Also brilliant!

Master
    You can do it, I assure you. Takes a bit of concentration.
    The great thing about these is that the heat also works under it, and I have 2 oven pans that fit perfectly underneath. While the BBQ is warming up I am cooking a thick foil bag of new potatoes, chorizo and rosemary, then when the charcoal is ready, I do the first lap of meaty stuff on top. When it is 2/3 done, that lot gets put underneath to finish off underneath the grill while the second lap on top goes ahead. You can manage a third lap before the charcoal begins to fade, and everything will get to the table hot.

As it begins to go off, it goes under the table to act as central heating (when camping), with its final charge of foil-wrapped bananas slit and filled with rum and chocolate.
    I am not kidding, I have catered every evening meal for a camping party of 6 adults and 7 large kids for a week using one of these. No-one went hungry.

Dave
    Very clever, never thought about residual heat below to finish, hats off to you sir!

I always tend to find larger grills more relaxing with that ability to cook using hot / cooler spots without that level of planning, but I’m genuinely impressed.

These days I tend to find any grilling more stressful as I mainly smoke my meat low & slow. Ironically after 12+ hours laid back smoking its then the final 20 mins of cutting, pulling & serving that seem hard work.

Going to try under heat next time though.

Master
    Weber E210 here, had it three years still looks new.
    Maybe too big for op but feeds many with ease.

Craftsman
    Another recommendation for the Weber. Had ours for nearly four years and still scrubs up well.

Master
    Q2000 here - picked mine up on gumtree a few years ago for a crazy £30

Craftsman
    Weber e320 for me. 3 burner gives additional cooking options. E.g beer can chicken is easier as you can turn the middle burner off and maintain even heat with the other two burners.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by IdiotAbroad View Post
    We also have one of these (gas) for camping. Also brilliant!

Another recommendation for this.

Would like to try something else but really no need. Plus it is perfect for a raised camp fire after the meal.

Sent from my [device_name] using TZ-UK mobile app

After reading this just ordered lotus XL with Grill hood and Pizza stone looks awesome, thanks seams to get over the most annoying aspects of BBQ

Quote Originally Posted by AndyMilts View Post
    After reading this just ordered lotus XL with Grill hood and Pizza stone looks awesome, thanks seams to get over the most annoying aspects of BBQ
    Mine arrived today, went for the smaller one. Very impressed, good quality build wise, ready to coock in a few minutes and really easy to clean which is always my biggest issue with bbqs.

Size is fine for two and while I’ll mainly use it at home i am tempted to take it on the beach, fun idea.

Craftsman
    Just built my Weber Spirit E310 this morning and it’s great quality

Looking forward to cooking in it when the weather clears up

Craftsman

My Weber has is now 9yrs old & was purchased at a half price end of season sale for less than £150!!

My original kettle was bought in a pre-Thanksgiving sale in the USA for $50 US.
    Useless fact - a full size Weber kettle will fit down a submarine hatch and you can stow two of them on top of the main gearbox of a Swiftsure class boat.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalMass View Post
    My original kettle was bought in a pre-Thanksgiving sale in the USA for $50 US.
    Useless fact - a full size Weber kettle will fit down a submarine hatch and you can stow two of them on top of the main gearbox of a Swiftsure class boat.
    Ah mine was a gasser for that price, although my kettle cost me similar! Donated it to the brother in law 2 years ago, who has used it once...with a easy-light bag of charcoal!!

I love that fact - should I ever be required to take one onboard. I’m loving the visual image of cooking on it above surface.

Craftsman
    John Lewis have 20% off some of their bbq’s currently.

have a look at landmann.co.uk

as good as weber, enamel grills on most of them - so easy to just pop in the dish washer after.

Ah mine was a gasser for that price, although my kettle cost me similar! Donated it to the brother in law 2 years ago, who has used it once...with a easy-light bag of charcoal!!

I love that fact - should I ever be required to take one onboard. I’m loving the visual image of cooking on it above surface.

Lol. Hunter killer 😀

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Quote Originally Posted by Andyg View Post
    Lol. Hunter killer

From lighting to this in less than 5 minutes very impressed

Quote Originally Posted by AndyMilts View Post

From lighting to this in less than 5 minutes very impressed
    It really is a good piece of kit, i was impressed with the build quality. Might actually get round to bbq this year as a result.

An additional benefit of the lotus is that the variable fan control adjusts the heat just like a gas bbq.