closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Long shot perhaps... Ever been to Rostock? Tips?

Blog Entries

Long shot perhaps... Ever been to Rostock? Tips?

Early July, my eldest is participating in the Warnemuende Woche. Short for: Rostock Harbour Sailing Regatta. We'll be staying there for 6 nights. I've never been to that area of Germany and certainly not to Rostock. Is there any experience among the community here about Rostock or the area around the town?

Menno

Grand Master
    I spent a day in Warnamuende on a cruise holiday last year, I liked it. There was a tall ships event over the weekend and the place was busy, good atmosphere in the evening with a band playing. We spent a day in Rostock and enjoyed it.......the weather was good so that helped. Didn’t get chance to see much, we were only there for a few hrs, but my impression was favourable.

Maybe the beer helped, of all the destinations (Baltic cruise) we visited it was the only one where the beer was cheap!

Paul
    Last edited by walkerwek1958; 24th April 2018 at 09:31.

I don’t know Rostock that well – only really as a place to change trains for onward travel to Ahrenshoop on the Baltic coast. Obviously in a large country with such a short coastline people head to the Ostsee for access to the sea – something that, living in the Netherlands and having such a keen sailor in the family, presumably you don’t struggle to do on any other day of the year. I doubt that there's much novelty there for you

You don't indicate whether you are just looking to fill the days and need to be on hand for your son during the evening - Berlin is is under 3 hours by car but then so is Hamburg and any number of other locations (Lübeck for marzipan!). My one tip would be the V2 rocket sites in Peenemünde which is about 2 hours away.

http://museum-peenemuende.de/

It's a first rate museum with everything in English, German and Polish and it's easily possible to spend a whole day there.

In the Sotadic Zone, apparently.

Blog Entries
    Thanks for the tips and ideas, guys! I will keep them in mind.
    (Yesterday, the boys and girls of the sailing team were discussing going to the UK's Laser Open in Plymouth, next July. Perhaps I will ask you more about that as well!)

Menno