closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Thoughts on Rolex Datejust

Thoughts on Rolex Datejust

I have seen a DJ on Fleabay, it’s from a jeweller and just wondered if anyone could point out anything obvious I could be missing. It all appears to look genuine and honest to me.

I have added a link below, hopefully it’s not breaking any rules.

https://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rolex-Datej...gAAOSwg35azIuG

Master

Thoughts on Rolex Datejust

No obvious red flags (to my untrained eye).

It’s difficult to be 100% positive with just photos. If you are buying from an established bricks and mortar shop and via credit card you’ll have decent protection should it not turn out to be as claimed.

Was this the model you were specifically after as there may be better value out there.

No pictures of the case back, and mention that it was given as a long service award. So I'd want to know if it has an inscription on the back.

Craftsman
    ^^There isn't, he mentions that in the description.

Quote Originally Posted by Caruso View Post
    No pictures of the case back, and mention that it was given as a long service award. So I'd want to know if it has an inscription on the back.
    It says in the listing that there is no inscription on the back.

northward
    Is there any reason to go for this over something on watchfinder around a similar price?

e.g http://www.watchfinder.co.uk/Rolex/D...20/item/108244

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by northward View Post
    Is there any reason to go for this over something on watchfinder around a similar price?

e.g http://www.watchfinder.co.uk/Rolex/D...20/item/108244
    Two, Box and papers.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by boring_sandwich View Post
    I have seen a DJ on Fleabay, it’s from a jeweller and just wondered if anyone could point out anything obvious I could be missing.
    Er....it’s rather over-priced?

The seller is saying they will take £2500 for the watch, i cannot find nothing else for that price anywhere.

£2500 is about right. Looks ok,bad quality pics though

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by boring_sandwich View Post
    The seller is saying they will take £2500 for the watch, i cannot find nothing else for that price anywhere.
    Even at that price I’d be looking at a more modern DJ 36 or even a DJ2 for a bit more - they could still be under 5 year warranty and in much better condition.
    It's just a matter of time...

I’d say that £2500 is a good deal, all seems to be in order

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Grand Master
    Box and papers mean little to me on a watch this age, for me it's all about the condition. It's a 25 year old watch, even if it's had an easy life I`d still want to inspect it before committing. No substitute for actually travelling and inspecting it.

I would also factor in the cost of service too. 16 years is a long time even if it's been used sparingly. Also check the length of the bracelet, not sure how many removable links it should have but a full length bracelet should fit around 7.75" wrist.

I have a superb Datejust from around 2003, no box or papers but it's a cracking watch. Buy the watch, not the box and papers, the whole box and papers thing on a watch this age is over-rated.

I can`t see a lot wrong with this, if it had the fluted white gold bezel it would be more expensive........but I`d be a lot happier inspecting it before buying.

Paul

Master
    Last serviced in 2002 so you’ll need to factor in the cost of getting it serviced. Not quite so cheap with that added to the sale price.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post
    Even at that price I’d be looking at a more modern DJ 36 or even a DJ2 for a bit more - they could still be under 5 year warranty and in much better condition.
    Not sure you'd get a modern DJ 36 without paying significantly more, several hundred £££ would get you into DJ 36 territory for sure, especially if box and papers are missing.

If this could be bought for (say) £2350 in a face to face haggle, there's still £400+ to factor in to have it serviced properly. That puts the watch at around £2800 but it'll be good for several years.

A tricky one, Datejusts in nice condition aren`t cheap thesedays.

Paul

Craftsman
    Given the seller is supposed to be a professional the pictures are disappointing, but overall the watch looks good.

To me the box and papers will always add value to a purchase, although I would not choose a watch over another simply because of this.

Didn’t see original listing but it’s just been “relisted at £3250”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks everyone I have decided to give it a miss.