closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Visiting Durham

Blog Entries

Visiting Durham

So have a short break in Durham coming up, any recommendations on where to visit or things to see? Will be staying in centre and won't have a car with us.

Cheers.
    Ian

Get the train to Newcastle.

Link:

Quote Originally Posted by Coot View Post

'Calling Mr Magirus, calling Mr Magirus'...

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Quote Originally Posted by ralphy View Post

R
    He is in Newcastle

Fat Hippo for really great burgers.*

*They also have a branch in Newcastle

Quote Originally Posted by tempfort View Post
    He is in Newcastle
    Currently?

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Currently?

R
    Not a clue, replied re post 2.

Not a clue, replied re post 2.
    I can get myself confused enough without being quoted, thanks!

R

You're confused, just as well I didn't try to work in any reference to dried fruit.

R
    He is in Newcastle
    How very dare you ? ! ;-)

Still in my garret a short walk out of town. Durham doesn't look good at the moment, with large scale building and demolition going on either side of Milburngate Bridge, and the top third of the Cathedral tower scaffolded and sheeted for essential repairs. However the Cathedral is still magnificent, wherever you cast your gaze. There's new exhibitions inside, and also in the library on Palace Green outside, where you'll also find the Almshouse cafe. There's the Undercroft cafe inside. With no access to the outside of the main tower they were doing access to the belfry instead on Weds and Sat. It's a fascinating place to visit. The Elizabethan gardens at Crook Hall should be starting to look good now, a short walk over the bridge that takes you to the Radisson Hotel, just along the road if that's where you're staying. The Gulbenkian Oriental museum is always worth a look, bit of a longer walk up South Road. You can always hop on a train to the Toon, 13 minutes and loads of trains. Plenty of museums and shopping for your lass, be sure to find the Crown Posada for a pint, a superb and unique pub, and just around the corner up Side is El Torero, great authentic Spanish food. For eating in Durham there's a plethora of Italians, Spagettata for cheap and cheerful, Bistro Italiano and Capriccio both get good reports. For Indian Spice Lounge and Capital are both excellent, the latter being spicier. The Lebanese restaurant Lebaneat is well regarded. Zen does Thai food to a high standard. Now for the important bit . . . drinking! Half Moon, lovely town bar with a good range of ales, some brewed locally, Draught Bass always spot on. Dun Cow, small front bar with larger lounge out back, Castle Eden Ale always excellent. Victoria, a real Victorian gem, range of local ales and excellent large selection of malt whiskies. All of the aformentioned are minutes from the market place or whichever hotel you may be using. Enjoy!
    F.T.F.A.

Master
    Left our daughter off at University in October.A pleasant place,Cathedral impressive .Lots of good ideas in previous post.Can also recommend Leboneat.

Some great information for anyone visiting.I may have some time to kill in Durham later in May as I will get off the train there, before being picked up for a Patek event.
    Must remember my camera and hope for good light.
    Nigel

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by magirus View Post

Still in my garret a short walk out of town. Durham doesn't look good at the moment, with large scale building and demolition going on either side of Milburngate Bridge, and the top third of the Cathedral tower scaffolded and sheeted for essential repairs. However the Cathedral is still magnificent, wherever you cast your gaze...............are minutes from the market place or whichever hotel you may be using. Enjoy!
    Thanks appreciate the ideas and sensible reply. We’re staying at the Marriott.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.f View Post
    Left our daughter off at University in October.A pleasant place,Cathedral impressive .Lots of good ideas in previous post.Can also recommend Leboneat.
    Our son started last October and loves the place. He's a football fanatic and goes to Spennymoor, Gateshead, Sunderland and gets special student rates for Newcastle VIP enclosure :). We stay at the Premier Inn opposite the Passport office , very nice staff and breakfast. As others have said it's only 10 minutes by train to Newcastle, plenty to do there. And let's face it people are a lot more friendly up north than they are down here?

Quote Originally Posted by odyseus10 View Post
    Our son started last October and loves the place. He's a football fanatic and goes to Spennymoor, Gateshead, Sunderland and gets special student rates for Newcastle VIP enclosure :). We stay at the Premier Inn opposite the Passport office , very nice staff and breakfast. As others have said it's only 10 minutes by train to Newcastle, plenty to do there. And let's face it people are a lot more friendly up north than they are down here?

If your lad's a football fanatic what on earth is he doing going to Sunderland? I know lads who chucked in their season tickets from Sunderland and now follow Spenny, arguably the northeast's most successful team in recent years as they played in a Wembley final and won the FA Vase in 2013! Nowt better than a day in the Toon for a home game.
    F.T.F.A.

If your lad's a football fanatic what on earth is he doing going to Sunderland? I know lads who chucked in their season tickets from Sunderland and now follow Spenny, arguably the northeast's most successful team in recent years as they played in a Wembley final and won the FA Vase in 2013! Nowt better than a day in the Toon for a home game.
    He's just doing the rounds, so only one visit to the stadium of light :) This week Spennymoore with Rotherham on Saturday. He is very impressed with St.James Park and puts Newcastle in his top 3 cities Inc Portsmouth :)

Still in my garret a short walk out of town. Durham doesn't look good at the moment, with large scale building and demolition going on either side of Milburngate Bridge, and the top third of the Cathedral tower scaffolded and sheeted for essential repairs. However the Cathedral is still magnificent, wherever you cast your gaze. There's new exhibitions inside, and also in the library on Palace Green outside, where you'll also find the Almshouse cafe. There's the Undercroft cafe inside. With no access to the outside of the main tower they were doing access to the belfry instead on Weds and Sat. It's a fascinating place to visit. The Elizabethan gardens at Crook Hall should be starting to look good now, a short walk over the bridge that takes you to the Radisson Hotel, just along the road if that's where you're staying. The Gulbenkian Oriental museum is always worth a look, bit of a longer walk up South Road. You can always hop on a train to the Toon, 13 minutes and loads of trains. Plenty of museums and shopping for your lass, be sure to find the Crown Posada for a pint, a superb and unique pub, and just around the corner up Side is El Torero, great authentic Spanish food. For eating in Durham there's a plethora of Italians, Spagettata for cheap and cheerful, Bistro Italiano and Capriccio both get good reports. For Indian Spice Lounge and Capital are both excellent, the latter being spicier. The Lebanese restaurant Lebaneat is well regarded. Zen does Thai food to a high standard. Now for the important bit . . . drinking! Half Moon, lovely town bar with a good range of ales, some brewed locally, Draught Bass always spot on. Dun Cow, small front bar with larger lounge out back, Castle Eden Ale always excellent. Victoria, a real Victorian gem, range of local ales and excellent large selection of malt whiskies. All of the aformentioned are minutes from the market place or whichever hotel you may be using. Enjoy!
    Ah the Crown Posada, great boozer, fantastic beer. Love the record player on the counter.
    J

Craftsman
    Some great information for anyone visiting.I may have some time to kill in Durham later in May as I will get off the train there, before being picked up for a Patek event.
    Must remember my camera and hope for good light.
    Nigel
    I'm going to that too, should be good.

Craftsman
    You might see the odd pre owned Rolex at Bramwells on Elvet Bridge.

Quote Originally Posted by Cinch View Post
    You might see the odd pre owned Rolex at Bramwells on Elvet Bridge.
    Some nice old Seikos in too last time I looked.
    F.T.F.A.

Quote Originally Posted by Jardine32 View Post
    Ah the Crown Posada, great boozer, fantastic beer. Love the record player on the counter.
    J
    I was in a couple of weeks ago, nice and quiet, Matt Monro on the record player (which dates to 1941) IIRC, and . . . relax . . .
    F.T.F.A.

Craftsman
    Cellar door is a lovely place for lunch.

Blog Entries
    Thanks people, all reccomendations appreciated.