closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Pothole damge

Master
    Blog Entries

Pothole damge

Has anyone manages to make a successful claim for this? Looks like I need a new wheel, and two tyres, after clattering into a massive pothole, sadly unavoidable as there was coach coming the other way.

I haven’t tried, but I think there is a criteria for the council being liable, it’s something like it has to have been reported and not been fixed within 2 weeks of the report, and it has to be a certain size and depth.
    They are a nightmare at the moment, I’ve hit some that I was sure I was going to break something but thankfully I haven’t yet. It’s remembering where they are that’s difficult as there are so many.
    Cheers..
    Jase

Potholes

Yes,
    I've had a similar experience two months ago, where I needed to replace a buckled wheel on my wifes X5, cost for replacement including full tracking and alignment came to over £800.00, to which I have placed a claim against Suffolk Highways.
    Not heard anything so far as it stated that it could take up to three months before any correspondence could be expected.
    Regardless, this particular pot hole had numerous reports of similar damage to other vehicles well over a month minimum.
    I'm fully expecting a standard letter saying they are not culpable, but this time I am prepared to go to the small claims court if I have to, enough is enough, somebody has to be responsible to present roads that are are and fit for purpose, in the same way that I have to be responsible for ensuring my vehicles are safe and fit for purpose.
    I feel as if all the authorities are asking for more taxes, moneys, etc, but it feels like we are not getting anything back for it, where is all our money going?

Andy

Some local authorities are far more flexible than others and make you jump through more/less hoops. This winter has been horrid for potholing so they're unlikely to be making it easy but as above, check with your LA what their criteria are.

I've seen four potholes appear in the last month on the two mile stretch approaching my place of work, all of which broader than 1 foot and deeper than four inches. Can't see them coughing up to fix these any time soon.

I read of a pothole not being repaired for ages. Someone then spray painted a shape closely resembling a certain male appendage. Amazingly the local council were out rapidly to fix it.

Master
    Apparently potholes are cheaper than 'speed enforcement' and more effective.

Yes I've done this twice with success each time.

Take pictures of the damage to your car, pictures of the pothole showing the location clearly, Take measurements of the hole including depth (Pictures help here as well but don't get run over) and 2 estimates to repair the damage.

To make the claim really you need to prove the council were aware (or should have been aware) of the hole and are negligent in maintaining the highway, if its clear the hole has been there a while then include that in info your letter. Likewise, if its a route regularly used by local authority vehicles then point that out in the letter as well.

Once you have the evidence then write to the local county council highways office with all the info and request repayment.

If the car is off the road while being repaired (or you can't use it until it is repaired) then add a claim for loss of use at £10 per day or in your letter to the council tell them you will need to hire a replacement car whilst yours is off the road.

A good few years back we were on holiday driving in Dorset in my wife's Meganne CC, and hit a pothole that was full of water (ie it just looked like a puddle).

It punctured two tires and broke the alloys also - it was that bad.

Obviously the hassle of dealing with it, getting it fixed, and sorting a replacement car seriously spoiled the holiday (probably wrote off the best part of two days).

I returned to the pothole, took photos, used a ruler to show how deep it was etc.

I did eventually get the money from the council - I think the total damage was approaching eight hundred quid. Took quite a bit of persistance.

If anything though, I think the state of British roads has considerably worsened over the past decade - almost all are now riddled with holes and crumbling edges.
    So clever my foot fell off.

In our LA area, you need to show that the pothole had been previously reported and not been fixed within a reasonable timeframe. However, If you are going to make a claim, ensure you have as much evidence as possible or the insurers' won't entertain it.
    Last edited by zippy; 23rd April 2018 at 12:32.

My Mrs made a claim to Essex CC for pothole damage, their official reply was that she should have avoided it, they paid half the claim,

Master
    Blog Entries
    Thanks all, to repair I am looking at £700.

Front tyre 126.50
    Rear tyre 165.50
    New wheel £400 from BMW.

I have got the forms from Oxfordshire council, lets see if they cough up.

the other option is Ebay for a used when and just bend over on the tyres.
    Last edited by Middo; 23rd April 2018 at 12:00.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I cracked the frame on my road bike when I hit a pothole recently. Cost me £2200 for a new frame. You can't go anywhere these days without encountering potholes. The condition of the roads is a disgrace. Some of them are 3" deep & potentially life-threatening when you're on a bike. If you see them in time you can "bunny-hop" over them. If car drivers are getting damage & complaining about them there's more chance of something being done about it. Personally I've never had a problem with them in a car. It's a hundred times worse if you ride a bike, the damage often costs more to put right, & they could get you killed.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by trident-7 View Post
    I cracked the frame on my road bike when I hit a pothole recently. Cost me £2200 for a new frame. You can't go anywhere these days without encountering potholes. The condition of the roads is a disgrace. Some of them are 3" deep & potentially life-threatening when you're on a bike. If you see them in time you can "bunny-hop" over them. If car drivers are getting damage & complaining about them there's more chance of something being done about it. Personally I've never had a problem with them in a car. It's a hundred times worse if you ride a bike, the damage often costs more to put right, & they could get you killed.
    With the Tour de Yorkshire due in a couple of weeks, I bet all the potholes on the route have been sorted at the expense of everywhere else.

Who's going to fund repair?

Increase parking charges and fines maybe.

Master
    Just be thankful it was only your car that broke.

I came off my road bicycle due to a large pothole, breaking my wrist and needing surgery to fix it.

I didn't claim because it's just one of those things that happens in life.

But good luck.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ach5 View Post
    Just be thankful it was only your car that broke.

I came off my road bicycle due to a large pothole, breaking my wrist and needing surgery to fix it.

I didn't claim because it's just one of those things that happens in life.

But good luck.
    I'm sorry to hear that..... hope you're on the mend.

Its a sad state of affairs isn't where we have come to accept this as 'the norm' but yes there are so many potholes now, that's its almost impossible to avoid them without placing yourself or others in harms way.

As a biker and motorcyclist myself I know all too well about the dangers.... but I don't see anything improving anytime soon.

I wonder if everybody stopped paying road tax - they would then do something about them??

Mike

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by sweetpea View Post
    I'm sorry to hear that..... hope you're on the mend.

I wonder if everybody stopped paying road tax - they would then do something about them??
    It was a few years ago now (2013 I think).

And road maintenance comes out of general taxation... as I used to remind motorists who would often yell things like "get off the road you don't pay road tax!"

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Middo View Post
    Thanks all, to repair I am looking at £700.

Front tyre 126.50
    Rear tyre 165.50
    New wheel £400 from BMW.

I have got the forms from Oxfordshire council, lets see if they cough up.

the other option is Ebay for a used when and just bend over on the tyres.

Where did this happen please?. Oxfordshire is my local area so would be good to know so I can avoid the pothole!. Hope you get a successful
    Outcome.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Heading out of Carterton to wards Filkins.

Master
    A chap on the Mustang forum successfully claimed for 2 wheels and 2 tyres following pothole damage (Derbyshire)

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Who's going to fund repair?

Increase parking charges and fines maybe.

Surely we already are paying for road repairs with the road fund licence. I wonder what the consolidated fund of 1926 is. looks to me like its anything the government wants it to be.
    Last edited by adrianw; 23rd April 2018 at 15:16.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by adrianw View Post
    Surely we already are paying for road repairs with the road fund licence. I wonder what the consolidated fund of 1926 is. looks to me like its anything the government wants it to be.
    The road fund licence hasn't been hypothecated for road repair since 1936 - all repairs come out of the general taxation pot. It's a common misconception that VED pays for upkeep of the roads; no-one pays to use the roads, you pay for the right to use a polluting vehicle.

We're obviously not paying enough then.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    We're obviously not paying enough then.
    I'll pay more, on the proviso that they guarantee to spend the additional income on fixing the roads, the fairest way is a fuel adder, in other words pay as you go.

Craftsman
    I'll pay more, on the proviso that they guarantee to spend the additional income on fixing the roads, the fairest way is a fuel adder, in other words pay as you go.
    I think this is the way to go; but because road damage is proportional to the fourth power of axle weight, the haulage industry lobby would be furious, even though (shoddy repairs aside) they are the majority contributors to road damage.

Master
    I had damage to a front tyre recently, the only proof of which pot hole was due to it being registered as an impact on my dashcam & the person on the other end of the phone asked what the hell I had just hit.

Alas footage from the cam didn’t work for a claim, and as for taking photos is was in the middle lane of the M25 so had to suck that up with the resulting tyre bulge. Annoying, but no chance of photos & measuring depth lol.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Middo View Post
    Heading out of Carterton to wards Filkins.
    Many thanks, not my area but plenty of them out this way too!