closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Best TV audio set up from these options ?

Master

Best TV audio set up from these options ?

Hi all

I have a decent 4k Samsung oled in my TV room and I'd like to add a reasonable sound set up. I recently replacedy Amazon echo with a Sonos one and am very impressed with the quality.

Room is largish say 250-300 sq feet

Options I'm considering

Sonos play bar
    Two Sonos play 1s in stereo
    Or sky sound box (available in Ireland yet ?)

Mostly watching Netflix 4k and sport

What say ye

Master
    Blog Entries
    Can't comment on the Sky Box myself though my colleague at work says it sounds pretty good.

I have the Sonos Playbase, Sub and two Ones - I find the sound excellent and it's much more flexible than my previous 5.1 amp and speaker system especially with the night time and speech modes, no wires, no comlex setup, wife-friendly etc. Glad I changed to Sonos from my high end 5.1 system.

You should find the Playbar and 2x Ones ok - our TV room is about 220sqft - the main difference when the Sub was added is that is has more punch for movies and the Playbase seems clearer (possibly as it no longer has to supply bass frequencies)
    Last edited by Scepticalist; 23rd April 2018 at 12:37.

Of your options the Sonos will sound the best but you will not get a 5.1 surround sound set up. I would go for the latest Yamaha soundbar (7.1 true sound)

https://uk.yamaha.com/en/products/audio_visual/sound_bar/ysp-2700/index.html

If you're already starting down the sonos route elsewhere it's got to be worth a try. Maybe try a stereo pair of 1s first and then a soundbar if you think you need something more.

With the money that the Sonos set up would cost, you could buy a decent amp and dedicated speaker set-up that would perform & sound much better (IMHO) than the Sonos set-up......could get TRUE surround sound too!

Master
    Blog Entries
    Wild guess, but if the OP had wanted to buy that, I think he might have listed it as an option.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by gunner View Post
    If you're already starting down the sonos route elsewhere it's got to be worth a try. Maybe try a stereo pair of 1s first and then a soundbar if you think you need something more.
    I'm thinking of a similar Sonos system to compliment my TV - I believe you can't use just Sonos Play1s/Ones (even as a stereo pair) without a Soundbar or Playbase to output sound from your TV?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by vagabond View Post
    I'm thinking of a similar Sonos system to compliment my TV - I believe you can't use just Sonos Play1s/Ones (even as a stereo pair) without a Soundbar or Playbase to output sound from your TV?
    my understanding is that you can, but you may have sync issues and a playbar is preferable

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by cyrusir View Post
    my understanding is that you can, but you may have sync issues and a playbar is preferable
    I don't want to start an argument but I'm fairly sure you can't - Sonos ones/play 1s don't have any line-in inputs, so without a connect amp/playbase/soundbar you have no way of getting the TV to stream to the Sonos devices - as the TV won't be able to connect to SonosNet.

If anyone can say for certain, either way, that would be great.

Master
    Blog Entries
    No, you can't. As mentioned, you need a Sonos with line-in at minimum, so unless you have a Play5/Connect/Bar/Base you can't obtain the TV sound.

Honestly, if you want to try it out don't mess about - Sonos have a 100 day no quibble return period and free delivery both ways. You can try it all out for free and send it back if you don't like it.

I ordered everything including the Sub and tried it all out in order; centre-only, add 2 x One, add Sub. Ended up buying it all to replace my 5.1 system. I bought the PlayBASE because I didn't want to wall mount the TV which you pretty much have to do with the PlayBAR
    Last edited by Scepticalist; 23rd April 2018 at 13:26.

Master
    thanks all, i am better informed now!

why do you have to wall mount with the play bar, due to the height of it?

Master
    Blog Entries

Yes even if the bar doesn't obstruct the screen, which it will do with most TVs, it'll look a bit odd. I'd say buttons and speakers on the bar are orientated primarily for wall mount
    Last edited by Scepticalist; 23rd April 2018 at 19:27.

If you don't want to wall mount, the Playbase may be a better option.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Lee View Post
    If you don't want to wall mount, the Playbase may be a better option.
    If it helps; to my ears, there was very little difference, with the Playbase being a little clearer on vocals and the Playbar a bit better on bass reproduction.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Scepticalist View Post
    If it helps; to my ears, there was very little difference, with the Playbase being a little clearer on vocals and the Playbar a bit better on bass reproduction.
    I find that the Playbase is all around the better sounding speaker, in both high and low registers, but room conditions do play a part. We wish there were a true high fidelity version of the Playbar, right now there is not. For really demanding applications, we pair a switching amp like the AudioControl Rialto with a Sonos Connect and the TV audio output, and that is fed to a Triad OnWall Mini LCR 2.0, though likely well above considering here.