closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Dial markings - 'Swiss' and 'Swiss Made'

Dial markings - 'Swiss' and 'Swiss Made'

Evening,

I've been looking at a fair few vintage watches recently (on the dress side), ranging from 1940 to the late 60s. One thing I've noticed is that some dials have 'Swiss' or 'Swiss Made' on the dial, whereas others, often similar models from the same period, do not have the text present. I understand it became compulsory under Swiss law in 1970/71 to have these markings on Swiss watches (provided they comply with various requirements) but before this period, are there any hard and fast rules on when this text would appear?

I've read on other sites/forums that the lack of Swiss could signify a re-dial, is this always the case?

Cheers.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by hansblix2001 View Post
    Evening,

I've been looking at a fair few vintage watches recently (on the dress side), ranging from 1940 to the late 60s. One thing I've noticed is that some dials have 'Swiss' or 'Swiss Made' on the dial, whereas others, often similar models from the same period, do not have the text present. I understand it became compulsory under Swiss law in 1970/71 to have these markings on Swiss watches (provided they comply with various requirements) but before this period, are there any hard and fast rules on when this text would appear?

I've read on other sites/forums that the lack of Swiss could signify a re-dial, is this always the case?

Cheers.
    What I once read about the subject of watch dials marked Swiss / Swiss Made and even Suisse or Fab (rique) Suisse on dials was to do with tax laws in the UK (and the then British Empire), France, the USA and other countries, was that watches assembled and sold in the said country (from mainly Swiss parts) were devoid of the punitive taxes but had unmarked country of manufacture dials (or marked by the country they were assembled in) but was the same as the Swiss version except it wasn't assembled by 'master craftsmen bent over wooden benches in the candlelight hand making every single part with total dedication to their craft'...

The 1971 date you give is most likely when the EC (Common Market), now the EU, started aligning tax laws and the Swiss had no option but to comply to simplify VAT and import duties to a multitude of european countries under the EC banner.

Grand Master
    PLEASE don’t use that stupid term ‘ redial’.

A dial’s either original, replaced, or refinished...........redial is a totally ambiguous term that should never have crept into regular use.

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    PLEASE don’t use that stupid term ‘ redial’.

A dial’s either original, replaced, or refinished...........redial is a totally ambiguous term that should never have crept into regular use.

Paul
    I see.

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    Some patterns are impossible to reproduce. The very fine starburst finish on some vintage dials is one example; that's why a really good original is nicer than a redial. However, if the original's deteriorated significantly to a point where it spoils the watch, I`d always go for a redial even though it isn`t quite the same as the original.
    In the Sotadic Zone, apparently.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Carlton-Browne View Post
    I see.
    Oops 😀

Master
    I see.
    A understated phrase of beauty. Nice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I see.
    Brilliant!

Thanks for the input Bayleaf.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bayleaf View Post
    What I once read about the subject of watch dials marked Swiss / Swiss Made and even Suisse or Fab (rique) Suisse on dials was to do with tax laws in the UK (and the then British Empire), France, the USA and other countries, was that watches assembled and sold in the said country (from mainly Swiss parts) were devoid of the punitive taxes but had unmarked country of manufacture dials (or marked by the country they were assembled in) but was the same as the Swiss version except it wasn't assembled by 'master craftsmen bent over wooden benches in the candlelight hand making every single part with total dedication to their craft'...

The 1971 date you give is most likely when the EC (Common Market), now the EU, started aligning tax laws and the Swiss had no option but to comply to simplify VAT and import duties to a multitude of european countries under the EC banner.
    And back in the room...

Thanks for the informative post. So it was UK regulation that affected this. Does that mean watches bwforee 71 assembled in Switzerland and supplied to non UK countries had no ‘Swiss made’ dial ?

I seem to recall reading somewhere that the USA introduced 'Swiss Made' on dials as a protectionist measure to favour US made watches.
    Last edited by JDB; 23rd April 2018 at 10:28.

I read somewhere 'Swiss Made' was introduced when the Swiss started copying high end English pocket watches. The English watch makers were the best in the world at the time and when the Swiss started making cheap copies it was made law that 'Swiss made' was painted on the dial to indicate they were cheap copies. How times change.