closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Breitling Blackbird

Craftsman

Breitling Blackbird

One of my favourite watches, the Breitling Blackbird big date. To my eyes a good looking solid watch which I think lends itself to different looks depending on the strap.

Being a little bored tonight and the fact that I don't have a life I've spent an hour or so putting different straps on mine. What I need to know is when did I become so sad.

Bracelet for everyday use-

Rubber for those sporty days-

Nylon for casual-

And my favourite, leather for when the suit's on-

I'm off to organise my sock drawer now :)

Neil
    Last edited by Neil; 22nd April 2018 at 21:25.

Craftsman
    Perhaps surprisingly, rubber is my favourite by far - the stylistic contrast just works, and even though I'm very much a bracelet guy, I'd make an exception in this case.

Breitling Blackbird

As you say, it’s very versatile, looks good on pretty much everything.
    My preference is also the rubber strap look, except I’m not a fan of the OEM rubber.

Which nylon strap is that by the way?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftsman

normally

I'm not a massive fan of Breitlings, but that is very nice, however you choose to wear it.

That padded leather looks very nice. I guess it's an OEM Breitling strap?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Derivative View Post
    As you say, it’s very versatile, looks good on pretty much everything.
    My preference is also the rubber strap look, except I’m not a fan of the OEM rubber.

Which nylon strap is that by the way?
    It’s a Watchgeko strap and excellent value https://www.watchgecko.com/nylon-spo...ther-lined.php

Qatar-wol
    That padded leather looks very nice. I guess it's an OEM Breitling strap?
    The leather strap is not OEM but a Meyhoffer professional from here http://www.watch-band-center.com/wat...-Nairobi-.html It is every bit as good as an original for a fraction of the price.

Neil

Blog Entries
    Neil. I think the big-date Breitling are one of their best implementations. Back ten years ago I owned one of these beauties. Great chunck of metal, with modular design. Loved and lost:

I never understood Breitling calling the model “Blackbird” and it being a heavy stainless-steel watch........... When the SR-71 Blackbird was predominantly Titanium, of which Breitling made several series of watches.

Interesting how the look of a watch changes with the bracelet/strap, though

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    Neil. I think the big-date Breitling are one of their best implementations. Back ten years ago I owned one of these beauties. Great chunck of metal, with modular design. Loved and lost:

http://designmjc.com/d300/CWSE_Special_02.jpg
    Wow, I haven't seen this model before. I love the square pushers and the contours around them and around the crown. Is this the only model they used this case on?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    I missed out on a full gold version at a very good price a couple of years ago, one of those that I often think "you should have bought that".

Neil

Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    It’s a Watchgeko strap and excellent value https://www.watchgecko.com/nylon-spo...ther-lined.php

Neil
    Thank you, I wasn’t aware of these and knowing Watchgecko quality they are sure to be great value.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post
    I never understood Breitling calling the model “Blackbird” and it being a heavy stainless-steel watch........... When the SR-71 Blackbird was predominantly Titanium, of which Breitling made several series of watches.

Interesting how the look of a watch changes with the bracelet/strap, though
    It was named after the SR-71 due to its 'stealthy' appearance. Part of the Chronomat range it was the only model to have a brushed case and bracelet rather than the usual shiny, shiny of Breitling watches of the time.

I have one of the original versions, pre COSH, 39 / 40 mm. Lovely thing too, I'm on the look out for the later Chronometer version. I did try the big-date but found it, well, too big.

Very versatile watches due to the flat case between the lugs, it looks good on SS bracelet or strap combo
    Last edited by nunya; 23rd April 2018 at 09:58.

Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post

The leather strap is not OEM but a Meyhoffer professional from here http://www.watch-band-center.com/wat...-Nairobi-.html It is every bit as good as an original for a fraction of the price.

Neil
    Thanks for that - will check them out!

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by lasz View Post
    Perhaps surprisingly, rubber is my favourite by far - the stylistic contrast just works, and even though I'm very much a bracelet guy, I'd make an exception in this case.
    Agree entirely.

Master
    It's a stunning watch and does look great on all the strap options. Agree with most that the rubber does look best. I would have probably had one of these by now if I hadn't owned 4 Chronomat Evo's before. It remains on the list for one day...

One of Breitlings finest, had mine stolen from my locker at the tennis club a few years back, still miss it.