closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Good Alloy Wheel Refurb in S Yorks

Good Alloy Wheel Refurb in S Yorks

Evening All,

Just bought a set of 14” BBS cross spokes for my e30. They’ll need a refurb and some new centre caps but will be a significant improvement on the bottle caps I’m currently running on.

Anyone know of a decent alloy refurb company around the Sheffield area they could recommend?

Thanks in advance!

Craftsman
    Superlative quality or rate cheap?

CAS Coatings in Bradfrod do powder coating for £1 per ", inc making good.

Quote Originally Posted by Wednesday View Post
    Superlative quality or rate cheap?

CAS Coatings in Bradfrod do powder coating for £1 per ", inc making good.
    That’s a keen price.

Not sure that the return journey would make the numbers add up in terms of my own time and fuel, however.

I’d like them to match the OEM BMW centres I’ve got hold of, so perhaps I’m looking at something at the quality end of the market, but closer to home.

Master
    Metal magic in Barnsley.

Craftsman
    Yep Metal Magic , done several sets of my wheels - all good.

Ian

Quote Originally Posted by MCFastybloke View Post
    Metal magic in Barnsley.
    Thanks. Had a look at their website and £40 a corner seems reasonable given their stated attention to detail.

Might have a trip up there on Friday.

Craftsman
    Auto Dynamics at Attercliffe refurbished the wheels on my son's BMW, did a good job but not cheap.

Grand Master
    I`m planning to get the wheels on my Jag XF refinished this summer, at almost 8 years old they're showing their age. Barnsley's not far for me to travel, but £40/corner sounds too cheap to me.

I`d expect the whole wheel to be stripped, damage remedied then repainted properly, all with the tyres off. Can`t see anyone doing this for £40/wheel, I`d expect to pay double!

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    I`m planning to get the wheels on my Jag XF refinished this summer, at almost 8 years old they're showing their age. Barnsley's not far for me to travel, but £40/corner sounds too cheap to me.

I`d expect the whole wheel to be stripped, damage remedied then repainted properly, all with the tyres off. Can`t see anyone doing this for £40/wheel, I`d expect to pay double!

Paul
    In fairness Paul, the wheels are only 14” and have no tyres on now, nor will they be having to put any back on when they’re done.

It’s more like £80 a corner for 19 or 20” wheels with that firm.

I’ll report back when they’re done.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post

Paul

Everything is cheaper in Barnsley, there rates are based on diameter, 17's are 50 a corner, i had some style 66 done in anthracite and i couldnt fault them.Tyres off, dipped repaired and refinished

Grand Master
    Barnsley's usually a good spot for bargains, years ago I used to frequent Barnsley Market to buy second-hand CDs to help rebuild my collection that got decimated when I split with the ex. Also remember Warners the Jeweller, always had a few second-hand watches in.

I`ll definitely give this place a try, I`m expecting to pay around £300 to get all the wheels done properly. I`m keeping the car so it makes sense to have it looking smart.

Paul

Wanted to update in case anyone is looking for a good alloy wheel refurb company in S Yorks...

Went to Metal Magic but was not impressed. Phoned in advance and got quoted a slightly different price to that on the website. Took the wheels anyway one Friday lunch and walked in but there was no one around. Saw a sign on the wall that said 'cash only' and promptly walked straight back out again.

I understand that some small businesses will want to run on a cash-only basis but that doesn't inspire much confidence if anything goes wrong.

Had a quick look on the internet and took the wheels to Auto Dynamics in Attercliffe. Initially they wouldn't even take the wheels until I'd received the new centre caps from BMW as they wanted the colour match to be 100% perfect.

When the caps arrived I dropped the wheels off, got a tour of the facility and a chat about cars in general. Went back today with four brand new Continental tyres to be fitted and balanced and was blown away by the quality of the job. Colour matched perfectly to the new BBS/BMW centre caps, all the corrosion (this was a £70 set of old wheels off eBay) blasted away and the rims made good. Tyres inflated back to my requirements and the wheel nuts tightened with a torque wrench rather than an air gun. All stuff that makes you think that they care about what they do.

Immediately left my old bottle caps for a similar treatment and would highly recommend.

£65 a corner not cheap but a first-class job done and got a nice discount on the bottle caps refurb for the repeat business.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by j0hnbarker View Post
    Wanted to update in case anyone is looking for a good alloy wheel refurb company in S Yorks...

Went to Metal Magic but was not impressed. Phoned in advance and got quoted a slightly different price to that on the website. Took the wheels anyway one Friday lunch and walked in but there was no one around. Saw a sign on the wall that said 'cash only' and promptly walked straight back out again.

I understand that some small businesses will want to run on a cash-only basis but that doesn't inspire much confidence if anything goes wrong.

Had a quick look on the internet and took the wheels to Auto Dynamics in Attercliffe. Initially they wouldn't even take the wheels until I'd received the new centre caps from BMW as they wanted the colour match to be 100% perfect.

When the caps arrived I dropped the wheels off, got a tour of the facility and a chat about cars in general. Went back today with four brand new Continental tyres to be fitted and balanced and was blown away by the quality of the job. Colour matched perfectly to the new BBS/BMW centre caps, all the corrosion (this was a £70 set of old wheels off eBay) blasted away and the rims made good. Tyres inflated back to my requirements and the wheel nuts tightened with a torque wrench rather than an air gun. All stuff that makes you think that they care about what they do.

Immediately left my old bottle caps for a similar treatment and would highly recommend.

£65 a corner not cheap but a first-class job done and got a nice discount on the bottle caps refurb for the repeat business.
    Many thanks John - this is useful to know since I will be looking to get my alloys refurbished once BMW have rebuilt my car! £65 seems a wheel seems very reasonable, may I ask if that includes VAT and what size your wheels are?

Quote Originally Posted by jwillans View Post
    Many thanks John - this is useful to know since I will be looking to get my alloys refurbished once BMW have rebuilt my car! £65 seems a wheel seems very reasonable, may I ask if that includes VAT and what size your wheels are?
    £65 included VAT and the wheels were 14" (80s BMW e30, hence the small size).

Price list is in the link below. Sliding scale of £260 up to 17" and a little more beyond. Well worth it.

https://www.autodynamicsonline.co.uk...eels-and-tyres

Grand Master
    Thanks for the update, if I decide to have my Jag wheels done I’ll use them. Price is v. fair.

Paul

Craftsman
    Good to hear the firm I recommend came up good, as I said they an excellent job on my sons wheels but not cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by MonkeyBoy View Post
    Good to hear the firm I recommend came up good, as I said they an excellent job on my sons wheels but not cheap.
    Apologies - I had missed your recommendation! Thanks :)