closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Buying a Rolex in Tenerife?

Buying a Rolex in Tenerife?

So, I found a steel Sub Date and a steel GMT Master 2 black bezel in the window of an AD in Tenerife today... been a while since I saw that, so I popped in and spent some time with the Sub, did some numbers... and beat a hasty retreat.

€7850, plus card charges, plus import charges...

I will defer to those with a greater understanding but with my rudimentary grasp on duties and mathematics I make that approx £8600

Admittedly, I did know the €7850 price tag but didn't expect to find one so hadn't calculated the full cost.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Its a nice shop to browse but, at their prices, I suspect only the Russians buy!

Would you have to pay import charges if it's from Tenerife?

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Rbains0708 View Post

Yes.

Quote Originally Posted by Rbains0708 View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Yes.
    Realistically though...

If you wear the watch on your wrist and put the box in your suitcase.

Surely no one pays import charges ?

Quote Originally Posted by TimeThoughts View Post
    Realistically though....

What people say they'd do, and what people actually do, are two different things.

Realistically though...

don't let anyone on here catch you saying that haha

Master
    Realistically though...

Yay! Tax evasion 101

Realistically though...

Someone will always get caught for the duties, plus a fine... then you're pushing best part of 10 grand for a sub date and a whole heap of aggravation, that doesn't float my boat.

Master
    Realistically though...

There are some sad self-appointed VAT police on this forum who get fairly frothed up about the subject. Forum equivalent of tutting, net-curtain twitchers.

Take the chance, don't take the chance, it's personal choice and liability. Get caught, you'll pay for it. Don't get caught then there's no actual comeback...

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Craizeehair View Post
    Someone will always get caught for the duties, plus a fine... then you're pushing best part of 10 grand for a sub date and a whole heap of aggravation, that doesn't float my boat.

Plus the added hassle of being on the 'suspect' fly list (or whatever its called) and get the 'personal touch' every time you travel.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by 33JS View Post
    There are some sad self-appointed VAT police on this forum
    It's called honesty and integrity.

Master
    There are some sad self-appointed VAT police on this forum who get fairly frothed up about the subject. Forum equivalent of tutting, net-curtain twitchers.
    Love that

Border Force took c. £1,500 off an inbound passenger in possession of an undeclared Rolex at LHR last week. I'm not trying to scaremonger, it's a fact and before you ask no, I won't divulge any further information of what or how I know.

I have my own view which I choose not to share, it's a can of worms and 33JS' assessment is correct.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MST View Post
    Love that

Border Force took c. £1,500 off an inbound passenger in possession of an undeclared Rolex at LHR last week. I'm not trying to scaremonger, it's a fact and before you ask no, I won't divulge any further information of what or how I know.

I have my own view which I choose not to share, it's a can of worms and 33JS' assessment is correct.
    Ouch - that would put a downer on return from holiday :)

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by kultschar View Post
    Ouch - that would put a downer on return from holiday :)
    Wouldn't it just, the real kicker being the realisation that you could've bought it a good deal cheaper paying over list price here in the UK!

Master
    Blog Entries
    Wouldn't it just, the real kicker being the realisation that you could've bought it a good deal cheaper paying over list price here in the UK!
    Indeed or having better hotel / booze / meals whilst away :)
    Last edited by kultschar; 23rd April 2018 at 13:27.

Take the chance, don't take the chance, it's personal choice and liability. Get caught, you'll pay for it. Don't get caught then there's no actual comeback...

That was my point to my original post... (even before any fines incurred for forgetting that you had bought it)

Probably didn’t make that clear though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    ^ Perfectly clear to me, sounds like they wanted crazy money without customs even coming into the equation - it's a mad world!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Ares View Post
    And also not being a criminal. Sorry to be a party pooper but tax evasion is a criminal offence. Some may not care but it’s an odd reaction to slate people for being anti-crime!

^ Perfectly clear to me, sounds like they wanted crazy money without customs even coming into the equation - it's a mad world!
    It sure is... it was reassuring to get the usual fit of giggles when enquiringly about a SD50 or new Pepsi, normality had been resumed.

plus card charges
    Halifax Clarity credit card = zero card charges

Why folk use ‘normal’ credit cards with typical 3% fee is beyond me. Takes 10 mins to apply for a Clarity, and in this scenario would save you circa £200.

Quote Originally Posted by noTAGlove View Post
    Halifax Clarity credit card = zero card charges

Why folk use ‘normal’ credit cards with typical 3% fee is beyond me. Takes 10 mins to apply for a Clarity, and in this scenario would save you circa £200.
    Very true... Always wise to have a ‘holiday’ wallet for such situations.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Ares View Post
    Do they/you hog the outside lane at 70 to 'police' other drivers? Report illegal parking? Check that others pay their income tax? Pay their council tax?

My point is people can take the risk if they want, but the forum police don't actually work for HMRC so they're just being sad busy-bodies!

I pay my tax and vat, but it's not my job to police/check/snitch on others...

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by David_D View Post
    And also not being a criminal. Sorry to be a party pooper but tax evasion is a criminal offence. Some may not care but it’s an odd reaction to slate people for being anti-crime!
    Ser my post above.

Do they/you hog the outside lane at 70 to 'police' other drivers? Report illegal parking? Check that others pay their income tax? Pay their council tax?

My point is people can take the risk if they want, but the forum police don't actually work for HMRC so they're just being sad busy-bodies!

I pay my tax and vat, but it's not my job to police/check/snitch on others...
    Don't then and don't be bothered if others want to.

Master
    but the forum police don't actually work for HMRC
    You 100% sure of that ...?

Grand Master
    Can`t understand why people have to get so worked up over this. I have my own views on the practice of bringing watches into the UK without declaring them at customs, and it'll remain exactly that......my own view.

This issue always polarises opinions, and there's absolutely no point in stating a strongly held view either way. You're not going to convince anyone to change their position and you're certainly not going to impress most people.

Some folks will sneak the odd watch through customs and save a few £££ if they can, some won`t.

Paul

Given that death and taxes are considered to be two of the most undesirable certainties in life, lm a great admirer of anyone who can pull off cheating or delaying either...

...Having incredibly thick, armoured and asbestos-filled skin, lm already smirking at the over-reaction that will inevitably follow this post.

Master
    Not approving of criminal activity is a bit more than a simple matter of personal preference. That way lies a disintegrating society. Call it 'pompous' or whatever, but it's just basic decency. Taxes pay for the things we share as a society ...boring stuff like hospitals and roads. When people cheat, everyone else has to cover that loss.
    As others have said, you don't change minds....but you can still call it what it is, sleazy criminality.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by David_D View Post
    You 100% sure of that ...?
    Doesn't affect me. I've claimed VAT back on nearly every watch that I've bought but I've been at pains to do it 100% within the rules. But, if someone else has a little score, I don't have time to stick my prying, busybody snout in.

Amazing to see the level of polarization above.

I would say, in reality, people that buy a watch abroad or in an airport duty free, then bring it home unchallenged and then contact HMRC to pay the duty is a very slim minority.

I also think that anyone that does this (i.e. - fail to pay duty on a watch) has pretty much committed the smallest crime I could possibly imagine in my estimation and I say fair play to them.
    Last edited by TimeThoughts; 23rd April 2018 at 20:04.

Quote Originally Posted by paskinner View Post
    Not approving of criminal activity is a bit more than a simple matter of personal preference. That way lies a disintegrating society. Call it 'pompous' or whatever, but it's just basic decency. Taxes pay for the things we share as a society ...boring stuff like hospitals and roads. When people cheat, everyone else has to cover that loss.
    As others have said, you don't change minds....but you can still call it what it is, sleazy criminality.
    Like all politicians - you have zeroed in on Hospitals etc. All the ‘good’ stuff..........

I guess that Trident and Aircraft Carriers aren’t so heart-tugging......?

Craftsman

I also think that anyone that does this (i.e. - fail to pay duty on a watch) has pretty much committed the smallest crime I could possibly imagine in my estimation and I say fair play to them.
    I know thIs sort of thing goes on and I know people who have done this. However, I do fall in to the category of those who would not risk it.

VAT on an average Rolex will be in excess of £1,000 so can hardly be classed as “the smallest crime”?? Should we class defrauding or robbing £1000 off someone a small crime? How about if a member of the forum sold a worthless fake watch on sc for £1000. Small crime then??

Amazing to see the level of polarization above.

I would say, in reality, people that buy a watch abroad or in an airport duty free, then bring it home unchallenged and then contact HMRC to pay the duty is a very slim minority.

Why would you bring it in unchallenged then contact HMRC, why not declare it at the point of entry?

Blog Entries
    So, I found a steel Sub Date and a steel GMT Master 2 black bezel in the window of an AD in Tenerife today... been a while since I saw that, so I popped in and spent some time with the Sub, did some numbers... and beat a hasty retreat.

€7850, plus card charges, plus import charges...

I will defer to those with a greater understanding but with my rudimentary grasp on duties and mathematics I make that approx £8600

Admittedly, I did know the €7850 price tag but didn't expect to find one so hadn't calculated the full cost.

So. You didn’t buy anything presumably? Considering VAT @20% + 3% on card charges amd x-rates - duty is negligible.

you know you get fined on TZ starting a thread with ‘So’ - please pay into the TZ fund.
    Last edited by MartynJC (UK); 23rd April 2018 at 21:04.

Quote Originally Posted by D4RW1N View Post
    I know thIs sort of thing goes on and I know people who have done this. However, I do fall in to the category of those who would not risk it.

VAT on an average Rolex will be in excess of £1,000 so can hardly be classed as “the smallest crime”?? Should we class defrauding or robbing £1000 off someone a small crime? How about if a member of the forum sold a worthless fake watch on sc for £1000. Small crime then??
    That's some comparison. You compare the theft of £1000 from a person or the selling of counterfeit goods equal with not declaring VAT on a duty free purchase ?

Anyway, here's the reality...

In my LHR browsings, I notice that the watch + subsequent appropriate duty is more expensive to buy in the airport than the 'normal' AD high street purchase.

The airport boutiques know the crack. The only reason to buy in an airport is to try and avoid duty. Unless of course you are exceedingly wealthy and buy watches when you are bored which is not a real client base for the likes of WOS to pay for renting a boutique space in LHR etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Why would you bring it in unchallenged then contact HMRC, why not declare it at the point of entry?
    Has anyone actually done this on here ?

Has anyone bought a watch duty free then voluntarily paid VAT at the point of duty ?

It would make no sense, better to buy the watch in an AD...

Has anyone bought a watch duty free then voluntarily paid VAT at the point of duty ?

No idea, but would make more sense than what you suggest someone might do.

Maybe the watch has come from an AD anyway.

Blog Entries

Have you bought an SD50 in UK recently. Probably its supply and demand - if you are really lucky you can pick up a steel sports rolex - if not you have to go the reseller route

Only a from me.

Quote Originally Posted by Umbongo View Post
    Given that death and taxes are considered to be two of the most undesirable certainties in life, lm a great admirer of anyone who can pull off cheating or delaying either...

...Having incredibly thick, armoured and asbestos-filled skin, lm already smirking at the over-reaction that will inevitably follow this post.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Do those fortunate enough to travel by private jet bother with such issues?
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    So. You didn’t buy anything presumably? Considering VAT @20% + 3% on card charges amd x-rates - duty is negligible.

you know you get fined on TZ starting a thread with ‘So’ - please pay into the TZ fund.
    No, I didn't know that, I won't make that mistake again!

I didn't buy anything, I probably didn't make it too clear in the post but the figure of approx £8600 included ex rates, VAT, duty etc...

What I tried to convey was firstly it was unusual for me to see these watches in steel and secondly, after the initial surprise and working the true full cost it was that after finding one it was still working out approx 2 grand over uk list, no cheaper than I could get one back in the uk.