closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Seiko 7548 7000 fixes itself.

Seiko 7548 7000 fixes itself.

Ages ago, I saw a pretty battered 7548 7000 on eBay in a right old mess, must have been owned by a welder, non running and not pretty, Im a big fan of these and sent the seller a idle email to see if I could buy it now, If nothing else but for spares. I think I paid him £40 ish, tried a new battery but no luck, I noticed the coil had a little dent in it from a previous battery change so assumed that was the issue, no matter I have a spare 7546 I could use as a donor, at the time I really struggled to get the bezel off so I left it in the spares box.
    Fast forward to yesterday and I was rummaging in said box and picked it up, it was now running! Clever Seiko
    I put in a fresh battery and its been going 24hrs and spot on accurate.
    This got me motivated to change the crystal at least, really had to work at it but the bezel came off and I was able to change the crystal for a better one ( not a new one ) Underneath the crystal was a lovely dial but slightly manky hands that I may replace one day.
    The case and bezel has got the odd weld spatter marks but most of them do come off with persuasion with a blade, oddly the bezel insert is in really good condition which surprised me considering the state of the crystal.
    I didn't take a photo of the old crystal in place but you can get the idea. So, a new weekend beater for me for less than £50, a June 1981 Seiko 7548 7000.
    Im pretty chuffed.

Last edited by JasonM; 22nd April 2018 at 15:40.
    Cheers..
    Jase

Brilliant, love a good rescue

I wear mine a lot!

Master
    Well done. Love the determination and result!

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Great job. Looks good

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good outcome! Maybe some dirt dislodged itself? One of the finer vintage buys in my opinion. Heritage, quality and style for not much money.

Mine says konnichiwa, etc

Master
    Very nice love the 7548s for their quality!
    Last edited by mariod; 22nd April 2018 at 12:14.

Master
    You've destroyed its Patina now!

Nice one Jase!

If you'd left it a bit longer it may have polished itself up.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Master
    Well done Jason that's a great result!

They're my favourite watch design and very tough and durable. I've picked up plenty over the years as well as the very similar looking 7C43's. Hard to believe how long ago it was when these were first produced and the oldest one I have is 40 years old in June!

Cheers
    Neil

Quote Originally Posted by Neil.C View Post
    Nice one Jase!

If you'd left it a bit longer it may have polished itself up.
    Ha! You never know Neil

Lovely variants there other Neil, I also have a few (7?) but all 7000 versions, my oldest is also a 1980.
    Last edited by JasonM; 22nd April 2018 at 15:58.
    Cheers..
    Jase

Journeyman
    7000's are great, but does anyone know why some age to slightly yellowy patina on the lume and others go (like mine) a dirty grey a bit like old linen?

Quote Originally Posted by Bayleaf View Post
    7000's are great, but does anyone know why some age to slightly yellowy patina on the lume and others go (like mine) a dirty grey a bit like old linen?
    I can’t answer why, but I have a few like that, some cream, some yellow and some like you say, dull gray. I keep meaning to take some comparison photos.
    Cheers..
    Jase

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonM View Post
    I can’t answer why, but I have a few like that, some cream, some yellow and some like you say, dull gray. I keep meaning to take some comparison photos.
    I noticed your 7548 is like my 83 model, i.e. the lume stands proud of the markers, yet others seem to look like flat like the lume pigment is in the printed white markers...is this normal or is the flat markers dial a sign of a repo dial or just a trick of the light?

I just think it’s different years of manufacture, different compounds etc, I think the gray ones are probably lume ‘stickers’ and some like above are applied wet. Not certain though, although I’m sure it’s not a sign of aftermarket parts, I haven’t looked, but I’ve not seen a aftermarket 7548 dial before.
    Cheers..
    Jase

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonM View Post
    I just think it’s different years of manufacture, different compounds etc, I think the gray ones are probably lume ‘stickers’ and some like above are applied wet. Not certain though, although I’m sure it’s not a sign of aftermarket parts, I haven’t looked, but I’ve not seen a aftermarket 7548 dial before.
    You could well be right, different processes from different batch runs on the 7548 makes sense, I guess 6309 divers must share the same flat or raised markers too. I was curious about possible AM 7548 dials (although I've also never seen one) as a quick restored to an 'as made' solution for day to day wear with a bit of working luminova.

Seiko 7548 7000 fixes itself.

I do love a 7548.. had one of mine on yesterday;

It’s from December 1980, I also have a Black dial and a Pepsi from the same date